News Japanese Company Aims for Space Elevevator by 2050

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/japanese-company-aims-space-elevator-2050-150811312.html

Interesting.

But my question is:

Would there be a transition from 1g all the way down to 0g? I mean, I feel like once at the station, you would experience microgravity. But on the way up, would there be a slow transition, or would you suddenly start floating when you reached the top floor?

After the initial acceleration, you're just cruising at the elevator's preset speed, much like getting to, and then cruising at, 60mph (~96/97 km/h for everyone outside of the US).

Apparently this trip would take about a week. So is there a sudden "floating" at the top floor, or is there a gradual transition throughout the trip?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
The transition would be over the course of your voyage up or down the cable. We have an addon that you could use for that. It's kulch's [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1891"]Space Elevator, Release 4.[/ame]

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I gaurantee you that this is another empty promise.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if "space sickness" would be as prevalent, as your body would have several days of gradual adjustment, as opposed to a sudden change.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I don't doubt that at all. I'm sure it will fall apart "due to funding" or some lack of knowledge/resources to make it reality.

I mainly was curious about the gravity shift. However, it would be amazing to see this come to fruition in my lifetime.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't doubt that at all. I'm sure it will fall apart "due to funding" or some lack of knowledge/resources to make it reality.

No, it is just the 40 years time schedule for it, which makes it very unlikely to have any serious project planning or investment schedule behind it.

FADEC

Reaction score

And I gaurantee you that your comment is 100% true.

The world has seen so many "awesome" promises which we can't even count. But my favourite one still is hotels on the moon in the 2010s. Another nice announcement was big Zeppelins, 1 kilometer length and a few hundred meters diameter, for transatlantic cargo flights. It was announced in a German paper in the mid 1990s :lol:

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
I'll have to share with everyone an old magazine from over ten years ago I've got: it made all of these predictions about spaceflight from 2002 - 2015, and all I can remember is its predictions being wrong.:lol: