Software Joystick configuration

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I just got back into Orbiter after a few years away, and I bought myself a joystick for it, the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which is apparently what everyone has, and I quite like it myself. Now my question is, is there any way to change the default joystick configuration? I'm trying to map my RCS translations to the hat, and rotations to the stick, and I've tried using Fly-By-Wire for this, however FBW doesn't seem to allow me to map two different functions to the same control (ie RCS rotation and elevon rotation on the same axis) without both being active when using that control, so even if the DG-IV's RCS switch is set to atmospheric and thus RCS is turned off, it'll still fire the RCS when I rotate with that axis. I can avoid this by having the default Orbiter joystick input active and not mapping any rotation controls to FBW, but the default configuration has the camera mapped to the hat, so attempting to use my RCS translation with the hat works, but also moves the camera, which is really disorienting and makes it almost impossible to perform docking maneuvers, which is the whole point of mapping it like that.

The simplest solution to this that I can think of would be to disable the hat's control of the camera, but I can't see any way to do that, since I can't find any config for Orbiter's joystick input. Or alternately, figure something out with FBW that will allow me to use the atmospheric and RCS controls on the same axis, but without both always being active, and disable Orbiter's standard joystick input. Or maybe I'm just missing something embarrassingly simple?

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've no idea if this will work, but you might try joy-to-key. I installed this to get my Saitek cyborg 3d usb stick (nigh on ten years old I think) working fully with Windows 7 64-bit ultimate.

The program seems quite involved and complex in what it can do.

http://joytokey.net/en/overview

Brad Dahl

Reaction score
I've used AutoHotKey to create a way of mapping joystick buttons to keyboard combo's (with modifier mapping too) that can help solve configuration issues. I managed to get a working concept config going for the XR5 Vanguard, but it may need some tweaking to work nicer with Orbiter.

Note that this is a script based system that is tweaked by the user and will not interact with joystick axes, but rather the buttons. This might sound awkward, but with FlyByWire set up and modifier keys defined I could use the same set of flight stick buttons to vary Altitude/ Attitude and Speed settings.

If you feel you need to get more out of your joystick than one function per button and you're not scared of script based configurations, this may be the solution for you.

Check it out at https://github.com/bradleydahl/Buttons2Keys

- Brad