Jupiter lost a stripe

Hmuda

Reaction score
Apparently, Jupiter lost one of its stripes.

Appears to be temporary though, since it happened before.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18889-jupiter-loses-a-stripe.html

jupitercomp.jpg

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I love it when strange mysteries like this happen. Especially on a rainy night all cozied up in the reading room with hot tea and blankets and day off of work the next day. Can't get any better than that!

E

ex-orbinaut

:rofl:

Must have gone AWOL, impersonating a woman. That'll loose you a stripe.

This (and the related article) reminds me that it has happened before, not too long ago. I remember something on the P Moore's "Sky at Night", in England, about it, which prompted me to have a look at it through the telescope. Must have been the early '90's. Might do the same now, though my present telescope is nowhere near as good as the one I had there.

Thanks for the news!

Edit:
At least I think it was the "Sky at Night"... hmm, memory failing me a bit there.

Last edited by a moderator:

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As a planet, Jupiter is too ugly to be feminine. Saturn on the other hand... or should we derive the use of him/her from mythology?

According to Wikipedia, English makes the following things feminine:
abstractions personified as feminine, and also for the soul, a city, a country, an army, the Church, and others.
From the same page:
Also of natural objects considered as feminine, as the moon, or the planets that are named after goddesses

Dutch makes a gender distinction between objects, but it always confuses me and I never know which one to use. It's even more complicated for a foreign language such as English, but I thought the rules for English were supposed to be relatively simple.

lennartsmit

Reaction score
Dutch makes a gender distinction between objects, but it always confuses me and I never know which one to use. It's even more complicated for a foreign language such as English, but I thought the rules for English were supposed to be relatively simple.
I'm pretty sure that Jupiter is male in Dutch, although I wouldn't know it in English.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Sorry about that. Working on a collection and all, I'll return it once I've finished the cast model.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As a planet, Jupiter is too ugly to be feminine. Saturn on the other hand... or should we derive the use of him/her from mythology?

I disagree... Jupiter is quite pretty.

For a planet.

Hmuda

Reaction score
I believe it matters most that Jupiter was male in Latin. :)
I swore I wouldn't put more oil on the fire, but since I started it all in a near-sleep state...I don't think that the original meaning of the name (main-god of the Roman mithology, pretty much the counterpart of Zeus) really matters. Look at ship names. No matter what the name comes from, they are always refered to as 'her' and 'she'.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmm... in portuguese (being a latin language) we do differentiate all objects in terms of gendre... as is the case in spanish, french, italian...

all planets, except our own are masculine... not sure why... the word "planet" itself, personifies as masculine... however "moon" is feminine, unlike "sun", which again...

this is rather arbitrary, tho... very little logic applies to sorting out what gendre an object should be... being a native portuguese speaker, you sorta get a feel for it...

this has most foreigners confused - quite funny to observe