Jupiter lost a stripe

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In French, only Earth, Moon & Sun have an explicit gendre.

Earth = "la Terre" (fem.)
Moon = "la Lune" (fem.)
Sun = "le Soleil" (masc.)

Most importantly, Planet (Planète) is a feminine noun. So, when you say "Mars", you're speaking of the "Planet Mars", not of the ancient god of war. The same for any other planets. The rule seems to expand to any natural satellites (though "Satellite" is a masculine noun).

The ISS is feminine too. Because it's a space station ("station spatiale"), and "station" is a feminine noun. The Atlantis space shuttle is feminine too, because "shuttle" ("navette") is feminine... But Ceres (a roman godess) is masculine, because it's an asteroid (and "astéroïde" is a masculine noun)... And so on...

By the way, the "lost stripe" thing is amazing... Gas giants are fascinating, because we can't explore them with our small and unperfect probes :)hail::probe:).

Last edited:

Tycho

Reaction score
It's odd that this would happen in such a short amount of time (on a cosmic scale), you'd think that this would take a hundred thousand years!

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
No more moons then?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know you're still in Orbiter-Forum when a thread about disappearing cloud bands turns into a discussion on the semantics of object personification.
You guys are so picky. :lol:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In Italian all planets are male except for Earth. No articles are used, you say for instance "Mercurio" or "il pianeta Mercurio" and then decline all the verbs to the masculine. Moons are another matter, Europa is feminine while Titan is masculine.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In Slovenian Venus and Earth are female genders, all else are male. No middle gender for planets... yes, we have a middle gender words.

SlashJr

Reaction score
That would explain why I only resolved the north belt on Jupiter the other night :cool:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Dutch makes a gender distinction between objects, but it always confuses me and I never know which one to use. It's even more complicated for a foreign language such as English, but I thought the rules for English were supposed to be relatively simple.
English rules are fairly simple, the only problem is there is always one million exceptions to any given rule.

Dutch sounds similar to Latin in terms of object genders. It's a matter of brutal memorization in terms of which gender to use. :)

Wonderer

Reaction score
Well in lithuanian only Venus (Venera), Earth (Žemė) and sun (Saulė) are female gender all other planets are male.Though this language isn't latin based, but it uses latin names for the planets (execpt for earth and the sun).It is very easy to tell what gendre what object is due to the ending of the name,so I think that Jupiter (Jupiteris) is male :blahblah:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Jupiter is like is the Roman form of the Greek god Zeus, so yes, Jupiter, from a mythological point of view, has a male personification.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
English rules are fairly simple, the only problem is there is always one million exceptions to any given rule.

Except the magnitude, this sounds like German. :lol:

German is pretty tough in that context: We say "Der Planet" (the planet, male), but also "Die Venus" (The Venus, female). In the most correct case, you can hear "Der Planet Venus" (The planet Venus). We also consider the sun female, while a star is male.

One thing that is pretty simple though: Ships names are always female. Even if the namesake is male ("Die Bismarck"). It is "Das Space Shuttle" but "Die Atlantis".

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
so the space shuttle as an object is neuter??? now can you tell me whey kameras are female?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A camera is not female in German - it is neutral. The same applies also to the named cameras on a spacecraft. They are considered experiments and as such neutral as well.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
:threadjacked:

I thought we were talking about the loss of a stripe on jupiter, not cameras and weather or not they are male or female or otherwise.

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
I thought we were talking about the loss of a stripe on jupiter, not cameras and weather or not they are male or female or otherwise.

What if I were to ask what gender a Jupiter stripe was?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What if I were to ask what gender a Jupiter stripe was?

And if horizontal stripes make fat, might it be better for Jupiter to convert to vertical stripes?

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a look at Jupiter this evening (or sometime soon) and see if I can spot the absence of the stripe. I saw the NEB and the SEB before, so I can't wait to look.