OHM L-05 DG-IV Skin

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: statickid

L-05 SKIN for Dan Steph's Delta-Glider IV

Vessel Designation: L-05
Registered to the ISA (International Space Association) as a Lunar Maintenance Vehicle

Stationed at Brighton Beach Spaceport since the year 20XX

Requires: Delta-Glider IV by Dan Steph

DOWNLOAD

Dambuster

Reaction score
Why is someone rating these skins down??? They're pretty nice, even if not completely hi-res...

P.S. Nice work, again! Might it be better to release these as a skin pack, rather than individual ones? If they're all of the same theme, that could be pretty useful IMO.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking of making a skin-pack with some built in scenarios and challenges, but I figured I'd just release them as-is to start! Also I was having trouble with my dg-iv scn files causing the ships to blow up when they spawn, or get hurled out of the solar system at insane speeds?????

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Why is someone rating these skins down??? They're pretty nice, even if not completely hi-res...

P.S. Nice work, again! Might it be better to release these as a skin pack, rather than individual ones? If they're all of the same theme, that could be pretty useful IMO.

I actually made them higher res then they turned out... anybody know anything about exporting photoshop files with higher resolution into the .dds texture format? is it a limitation of the dg-iv rendering or SDK? or an option?

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
I have an idea for an alternate variant. IRL, the DGIV's underside would be covered with TPS tiles. Perhaps you could make skins reflecting that (I'm surprised no one else has yet)

Dambuster

Reaction score
Try talking to hmuda about it. He made some absolutely incredible DGIV skins a while back.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I have an idea for an alternate variant. IRL, the DGIV's underside would be covered with TPS tiles. Perhaps you could make skins reflecting that (I'm surprised no one else has yet)

that was one of th first things i was going to do a long time ago, However, the way that the DG-IV is textured makes the tops and bottoms of the wings look exactly the same i.e. they use the same texture...which you may not have noticed before! I didn't notice until I experimented with the skin SDK

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
These are some real nice skins... but there seems to be a problem with the transparency. There's "holes" in the skin where absolute black would be.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
These are some real nice skins... but there seems to be a problem with the transparency. There's "holes" in the skin where absolute black would be.

huh? can you post a screen shot maybe? I'll try to figure out what you mean...!

Hmuda

Reaction score
huh? can you post a screen shot maybe? I'll try to figure out what you mean...!
I think he mean like in the pic in the attachment. When I was doing skins, I had the very same problem. If you use PS with the DDS addon, try using another DDS saving method (don't have it installed right now, experimenting should do the trick).
Try talking to hmuda about it. He made some absolutely incredible DGIV skins a while back.
Thanks. :) But as statickid said, the wings are textured the same on both sides (up/bottom). IRRC I used the default heat shields Spike put on the default template for one of the skins, but that only covered the center of the ship, not the entire bottom half..

Attachments

• 10.06.23 09-02-43 GL-01.jpg
    10.06.23 09-02-43 GL-01.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
well i'll be darned, it is transparent!! I looked on my own files and it is the same. you know i've been using my sk-017 for at least a year and never noticed! crazy!

hmuda - what do you mean by "another dds" saving method? do you mean to find an entirely different save plugin or just mess with the features of the one I have? I have the one that was recommended by the skin sdk.

Hmuda

Reaction score
There are several setting you can chose when PS saves the file as a DDS. The one you use right now leaves those holes on the ship, but I'm pretty sure you can remove them by chosing another option (something to do with the alpha channels...or something :)). I can't do more right now, since I'm busy studying, but if the problem remains, I'll look into it tomorrow, or in a week maybe.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
Just as a word of warning, when saving the skins, you must turn ON the alpha channel or it will interpret black as transparent. I made this mistake as well, and it isn't fixable unless you have still have the .PSD (or the original image) file. My skins have to be completely redone because of that.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Oh yeah i should have all the psd i think. wow thanks guys! I'll see if i can fix it and update it.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I really like this skin. Has a very good "well-used" look.