General Question Landing Tutorials?

jjake101

Reaction score
I have just flown a mission in the DGIV from earth to mars, dropped off a satellite and am now back in orbit around earth. There's just one problem... I cant land at !ape Canaveral and i ended up burning up in the atmosphere killing 3 astronauts! (The other 2 died during EVA)

Are there any tutorials showing you what mfd's to use so you can land at specific bases (I would like like it also to be applicable to the moon and mars)

Thanks

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=29356&highlight=aerobrake+mfd

viola

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

also when you are just starting out, try using alt+7 program for reentry with the
DGIV, you can't manage your flight as well as doing it manually, but it'll get you into the atmosphere and in the worst case scenario you can make an emergency landing on a freeway or in the ocean without dying. It ain't classy, but its somewhere to start!

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
self advertisement: look at my signature :cheers:

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
In your tutorial I see you have a narrow panel which is not right for your resolution. You can go to Parameters->Intruments and panels->Panel scale and change that. Just in case you don't know.

Also, please post direct links, you can't know the future of your signature.

Last edited:

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
yeah i know that, but if i change the panel scale the text gets really really ugly.

it's pretty hard to post links on the mobile forum skin :cool: and i can assure you that link will stay in my signature, it has bee there for the last 3 years :thumbup:

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I made one in the xr 2
Its on my youtube page

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Oops, sorry for posting in the wrong thread. Anyway, for me, just saving a scenario at a re-entry course to the mars base was pretty helpful when I was learning to land. Its a significant amount of skill, but the best strategy, as I'm sure others have hinted at, its easiest to try to land it like a helicopter. Also, too much speed is better(within reason) than too little.

Last edited:

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
For landings, I use ...basesync... and i suggest that you watch ... video for how to land on an airless body.

That's a great tutorial, thank you! After watching it, I got BaseSync, and tried the same thing a couple times, hopelessly over shooting each time. So I realized I need "checkpoints" that will tell me what speed I'm supposed to be at to be able to reach a controlled stop.

So I made this spreadsheet to help me calculate it. Fill in the decelleration your retro rockets produces, and it will tell you in somewhat sensible increments how slow you're supposed to be - if you get ahead / behind where you're supposed to be, just adjust your decelleration slightly. The default value is well within the capability of an XR2 on the moon with nearly full fuel tanks (incidentally, this is why I was overshooting - I had way more fuel in my tanks than you did, so losing 1.6 km/s can't happen in 275km... unless you turn around and use the big 'uns, that is :) )

Also, this sheet should work even in an atmosphere: Just use the surface MFD to keep an eye on your deceleration and keep in mind that it will need constant tuning - your deceleration will vary with airspeed. Or just use Aerobrake, since it does all the atmospheric number crunching for you.

Attachments

• Safe decel calc.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 3

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
use DVTools MFD and follow the procedure included in its manual.

Its the best one I have seen thus far.

You will also need Basesync Aerobrake and IMFD to use it.