OHM Lastotjka 0.1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Lastotjka (Ласточка) class strategical bomber Soviet thermonuclear space bomber from 1991. Features: - Thermonuclear drive for atmospheric and even interplanetary travel - Experimental combined ion drive for even more efficient interplanetary travel (works bad in the atmosphere) - Variable forward swept wing structure - Cargo bay - Two docking ports, front and back Keys: 0 - Close Wings 9 - Open wings (or the opposite, u have to try. to pause while opening, press close wings once and the other way around) 1 - Toggle thermonuclear drive (active by default) 2 - Toggle experimental ion/thermonuclear drive (disabled by default) C - Toggle athmospheric/interstellar gas collectors (interstellar gas -collectors does not work while engines are active, inactive by default) G - Toggle gears B - Toggle wheelbrake (off by default) D - Toggle cargo bay doors S - Toggle front docking port shield pros - really cool ship =) cons - in development, bad textures, no cockpit textures, no state saving for the variable elements, no change in COG for the variable wings (other things change though) My first add-on, still getting familiarized with the orbithangar

[ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3580]More...[/ame]

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Look's like author forget to add scenario...here's one:

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 51982.6691738344
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship Lastotjka
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET Lastotjka
  MODE Extern
  POS 1.50 163.30 -3.87
  TRACKMODE TargetRelative
  FOV 50.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Surface
END_HUD

BEGIN_SHIPS
CSB:Lastotjka
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS -80.6858943 28.5906644
  HEADING 330.01
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  RCS 1
END
END_SHIPS

BEGIN_ExtMFD
END

Marcel

Reaction score
I just got a chance to fly it. I downloaded it as soon as I saw it, and wanted to try it out, but I had to get back from my second practice docking mission with the ISS first. I got to the point that I could dock with three ports before sunset. My re-entry skills can use some work, but I made it back. You understand. Anyway, I just added it in my current scenario on a pad at my custom KSC. I was hoping you'd start a thread here so the folks here could give you some feedback.
Pros:
Wicked, weird, wonderful, wacky, wascially, Wussian! Heheheheh! /elmer_fudd.
Virtual cockpit.
Nice animations.
Wheel brake.
The textures aren't as bad as you think.
This is really nicely done, especially for a first effort.
Cons:
Nose wheel doesn't turn, making taxiing tedious and fuel-inefficient.
Could use a wheel brake indicator light.
A .txt file should be added to the Add-on Docs folder with instructions. I made one by copying the text from the post.
Virtual cockpit. You can't see the runway. I haven't tried to dock with this spacecraft, but I bet you can't see the docking port either.
The unpronounceable (for me) Russian name. :p
I have just flown a couple of fly arounds of KSC runway 33. She takes off nicely, feels like a moderately heavy craft that needs a long runway to build up momentum. It maneuvers in the air as expected. However, I haven't been able to successfully land it. It seems much too sensitive to banking forces with the wings extended. I may be too heavy handed with the joystick, or perhaps it's because I had the thrusters set to rotation, but there didn't seem to be much difference in roll rate when you extend or contract the wings.
Was this on the drawing boards or did you make it up? I can't find anything else on it. Either way, it's :speakcool:
Edit-Flown it a few more times and have managed to land it. The first time I used hover thrusters. The second, I just used a bit of hover to keep it from dropping too quickly. The third time I flew it from KSC to Habana and discovered that if you turn on thrusters and set them to rotation after you line it up with the runway, then press kill rotation, she glides in steady as a rock and lands like a feather. :)

Last edited:

nidhugg

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello

Hey there!
Yup, I have to get back to develop this craft further. Just wanted to share it with everyone else while I was occupied with other stuff.
Thanks for all the great feedback! :) Really glad that you like the craft.

Things that I want to include in future versions:
State-saving (positions of wings and such)
Variable ISP dependant on the amount of thrust.
Turning wheels (nosewheel at least) =)
Generally improved textures and animations.
Some changes to the model.
Decorations in the virtual cockpit.
Damage model and system failure simulation, including visuals at vessel destruction. (would be great if there was some sort of standard for doing this)

Discovered another possible bug:
Translational thrust is not symmetrical somehow, which makes docking difficult.
Generally about docking; the docking ports are located along the central axis of the craft. You cant see them from the cockpit, but you can use a camera MFD to visualize things.

If you think the vessel is too heavy in any situation (like when you want to hover) - dont forget that its possible to reduce mass by dumping fuel.

Lastotjka means Swallow (the bird) in Russian

/Johan

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can you also teach it some simple autopilot functions like flying straight and level?

It looks like the real target to hunt with the Black Dart. :)

(Which BTW has many features in common... i should maybe release it once the big bugs are gone)

nidhugg

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could do that, I guess. What is generally needed is a generic AI-pilot for all types of vessels.

You want it like a target to hunt? :) Yea, would be great with a weapons-mod also (missiles, bombs), and something that could simulate electro-magnetic radiation (radar, IR) in a standardized fashion.

What kind of ship is The Black Dart?

Marcel

Reaction score
Nidhugg, did you join this forum because of me?
:welcome:
I suggest you start a new Lastotjka thread in the Addons section. It will be seen by many more people than this thread. This is one of the nicest, most intelligent groups of people that I've had the privilege to meet on the net. There are many talented artists, programmers and professionals here. Some of them are literally rocket scientists! They'll be happy to share tips and ideas with you to help make this thing into a first class spacecraft.
In retrospect, I see what you mean about the fuel's weight affecting performance at low speeds. When I did my first tests, flying around KSC and landing, the fuel must have been well over 80%. My last flight was from KSC to Habana. I didn't feel the need for an auto-pilot. I just took her up to around 30km and did minor course corrections with rotational thrusters. I turned the thrusters off for atmospheric flight. When I landed, fuel was <50%. I still experienced the tendency to roll uncontrollably at landing. I couldn't keep it level, so I turned on rotational thrusters and hit kill rotation. It stayed on as it kept trying to compensate, and stabilized the craft perfectly. As I said above, it landed like a feather. Unfortunately, I had inadvertently left the wheel brake on, so it stopped rather quickly, and veered to the left. It was a good landing, however. I stayed on the runway and there was no crash sound. Hence my request for a wheel brake indicator light! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What kind of ship is The Black Dart?

Well, there are some cute videos in the Tube, about it

Basically, a small military space plane ... most is military secret about it. ;)

Marcel

Reaction score
:lolol: That. Hanger. Is. Awesome!
Wanna share info about it, or is it top-secret too? The ship is looking good also. I can see a multiplayer scenario where one team tries to bomb a target, and the other tries to stop them.
Nidhugg, I'd still like to know if Lastotjka was an actual Russian secret project, or if it's your own design. I figure the ion space drive is sci-fi, but what about the rest? Anyway, please fix the linear thrusters, because I want to fly this thing from Habana to Mir!
Edit
Just a word about the textures. I noticed that when I flew over the high-res KSC textures the ship became hard to see when I zoomed out in camera view. In other words, the camo works. If you want to add all the rivets and plasma burns, that's fine with me! A paint kit would be nice too.;)
The other thing I wanted to say, is that as far as I know, this is the first Russian delta glider type craft. The stock one is British, and there's a nice French one and American one, based on the British design. Now the Russians are finally represented, even though you're not Russian. :hmm::p

Last edited:

nidhugg

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Found my way back to this forum...

Yup, I guess I joined because of you, Marcel :cheers: Seems like a good place to share all kind of info on how to develop things for Orbiter.

Will create a new thread for Lastotjka in Addons.

-----Post Added-----

Okay, the new thread is:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=73694#post73694

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by huttser
Pros: Gas collecters, Virtual Cockpit
Cons: Not powerful enough
Review:
Can't get it out of the atmosphere. Am I doing somthing wrong?

Review by c
Review:
you can go to your orbiter installation directory go to configs spacecraft and select this space ship go to its MAIN_THRUST=*e* and change it to something like MAIN_THRUST=2e10

Review by marcel
Pros: I like it a lot!
Cons: Needs some more work
Review:
Really nice, especially for a first effort! Please keep working on it. I put a more detailed review at http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4539

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It took over half an hour (sim time) to get into orbit, but I used some time acceleration (x10 for a few seconds at a time) when I was in the upper stratosphere/mesosphere. I don't know how it is possible to rendezvous with space stations with such a low acceleration rate.

Also, I like the name.

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
This is a great concept with many cool features and a nice appearance, but power is an issue. I even disabled limited fuel and ran on an empty tank, and I could barely maintain altitude at 4 km. high. Until power is increased, I can only use it for low-level stunts and non-atmospheric operation.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is a great concept with many cool features and a nice appearance, but power is an issue. I even disabled limited fuel and ran on an empty tank, and I could barely maintain altitude at 4 km. high. Until power is increased, I can only use it for low-level stunts and non-atmospheric operation.

Did you make the change suggested in the legacy reviews earlier in this thread?

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods
Review:
you can go to your orbiter installation directory go to configs spacecraft and select this space ship go to its MAIN_THRUST=*e* and change it to something like MAIN_THRUST=2e10