Project Tug eXperimental Reloaded

Interceptor

Reaction score
Ok last night I got her in a stable orbit of 245x245,I was able to deorbit,reenter,and land at SRC space port with even a little fuel left over,but I haven't tried the damage mode yet,but will do tonight.Thanks

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
In a somewhat off-topic, but not that off-topic....

I found this SABRE engine, and it appears to be a interesting concept.

sabre-airflow_1024.jpg

Last edited:

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Docking and Inspection Cameras?

On a brainstorming on another project I'm observing, one talked about a Docking Camera.

Given the present technology on CCD cameras, I can't see a single reason such device would not be standard on *every* modern vessel - the size, weight and power consumption is negligible.

Even more, I think that strategically installed inspection cameras over the hull would be, also, a welcoming feature. In real life, one is not allowed to use external views :lol:

So, a bunch of strategic cameras to allow some visual inspection on vessel main features (the landing gear is locked? that noise is something loose on the turbine? are all the ceramic plates on their place?) is a feasible and useful feature, or just gold plating (useless features used just for the sake of it)?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
On a brainstorming on another project I'm observing, one talked about a Docking Camera.

Given the present technology on CCD cameras, I can't see a single reason such device would not be standard on *every* modern vessel - the size, weight and power consumption is negligible.

Even more, I think that strategically installed inspection cameras over the hull would be, also, a welcoming feature. In real life, one is not allowed to use external views :lol:

So, a bunch of strategic cameras to allow some visual inspection on vessel main features (the landing gear is locked? that noise is something loose on the turbine? are all the ceramic plates on their place?) is a feasible and useful feature, or just gold plating (useless features used just for the sake of it)?

Y'know, that'd be a pretty neat thing to have.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I use the TX solely as a hypersonic cargo plane. It's carried all sorts of ISA payloads :)

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
After watching that poor russian VM-T :) , I thought on using TXr as a booster for some really heavy vessel.

So I made this.

The scenario objective is to put a full loaded XR5 on LEO at 350Km (where there's no gases to mess the orbit) saving as much Main fuel as possible, using TX as first stage.

The mission, so, is:

1) Put XR5 on LEO at 350K high

2) Land TX safely somewhere (any airstrip counts - if you find some airport or spaceport on OHM that helps, advise us!)

TX's turboramjets have not enough power at zero speed, so you must activate Override Mode (CTRL-E) and activate full LRE (hit E until all circles are lit on Engine Status). Apply full thrust and at 150Km/s pull the stick. Once airborne, deactivate Override to switch back to ramjet and save fuel.

(If you manage to take off without hitting the TX at the end of the tarmac, tell me!)

Now the task is to climb to 30Km high without killing XR5 - she is not so robust as TX, she will break apart by excessive wing load or hull temperature or pressure. You will need to rapidly switch to XR5's cockpit for monitoring.

You can (to tell you the true, you should) use XR5's ramjet to help in the process. Save no ramjet fuel, it is useless once on space.

I managed to get XR5 to 350K orbit with 68.8% of fuel left - but this can be improved, as I taked off with ramjets on and wasted a lot of fuel on insignificant thrust conditions. I forgot TX flying alone, however, and messed up on time compressing while adjusting the orbit. :-(

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

UPDATE:

I finally managed to do everything right. :)

I updated the zip file with a Current State where:

* TX-02 is landed in CSSC (you need to download [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5729"]this[/ame]) after successfully deploying the XR5. She has 4.96% fuel left.

* XR5 is orbiting Earth at Equator on 356.3k x 349.7k . She has 74.4% fuel left.

The taking off was from SRC Space Port. Mission time 14:34.

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey Lisias,I think something might be missing from the TX overload scenario.Thanks
Code:
>>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ERROR: Velcro\TX_JATO_ExtFuel_Orbit
>>> [Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 252]
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> TERMINATING <<<

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
WHOOPS.... I forgot to delete my VELCRO extensions (or perhaps, just add them). :facepalm:

I'll update the file right now with my extensions and my (for while, at least) personal VELCRO version (this one allows you to use external tanks for RCS).

In the mean time, just delete everything on the Scenario that starts with TX-01 .

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

UPDATE.

Here (and in the original post), the Scenario edited for getting rid of Velcro AddOns.

Here, the original Scenario with TX-01 and her (laughable) add-ons attached via a Custom Version of Velcro (refactored and modified, one of the modifications being external tanks being able to refill any kind of tank). You will need to instal [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3388"]Velcro Rockets 1.11[/ame] first (be aware that the DLL will be overwritten).

Last edited:

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The bug hunting continues, but on a very slow pace (due personal issues).

But I got time to spare due a local holiday, and while bashing my seat trying to understand why one of the original Scenarios from TX5 doesn't works on TX-TI neither TxR, I get the idea to do this:

An updated TxR overload scenario with a third TxR on UMmu sample base on Moon. Your mission, should you choose to accept it =P is to activate the Damage Modeling (Settings on the Scenario Editor) and try to take off and establish the lower orbit you can (or dare). Hint: anything lower than 50 or 60 Meters and you will hit the ground with her nose or wings while maneuvering.

The solution is simpler than you think. :)

But I'm still trying to land, not sure if it's possible.

Last edited:

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
About Docking

Hi,

I just realized that TX docks on the inverted Z direction than Atlantis.

Being Atlantis what I call a "stock" vessel (one that comes with Orbiter), I'm inclined to see them as a "standard" to be followed. So I'm planning to change TXr to behave as Atlantis when docking.

This will be a hassle to someone? Did anyone know of some add-on using TX or TX/TI that would be negatively affected by such change?

TachyonDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Should not be a problem - the TXr uses the standard docking MFD doesn't it?

I attain the correct orientation to the object by the usual method of switching between translation/rotation RCS and external camera views :)

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
"TX, I'm your father"

I could not resist. :)

Interesting video here about the soviet Bartini A-57.

-- -- post edit -- --
Updated URL. The original video is M.I.A.

Last edited:

Lisias

Space Traveller Wanna-be
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I decided to break radio silence to share this (beautiful) video,

A source of inspiration to vessel designers!