limited multiplayer capability?

Gorn

Reaction score
I already know that a generalized multiplayer version of Orbiter poses some daunting problems, some of which may not even be solvable, so I'm not asking about that.

But I'm wondering about is if a far more limited version of multiplayer might be possible, or maybe has already even been done. What I'd like to do is play Orbiter with one other person, so no need for >2 player capability. We're both on the same local network, so transmission delays would be minimal. (We live well within wireless distance of each other, or could even do it on two PCs in the same home.) We can synchronize the clocks on our PCs pretty easily. And we can turn off all other network traffic, so no congestion.

Would that sort of thing be possible? I imagine that two of the problems with a general multiplayer app would be unreliable transmission times over the Internet, and time synchronization; a "two local people" version seems to greatly reduce or maybe even eliminate both those problems.

If it is possible, has anyone done that? Even if it's not an officially released app, I'm hoping that some developer might respond, "I haven't get general multiplayer to work yet, but as a step toward trying to do that I did develop what you're talking about, and that does work -- wanna look at it?"

Thanks!

Danny

Last edited:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum!

Orbiter Multiplayer Project has it's own forum here.
It is in developement and currently there is no release. But you can get the source and compile the SVC version yourself.

Gorn

Reaction score
Thanks! -- woulda never found that forum myself, it's buried pretty deep. ;)

Obviously I'm behind the times, I thought OMP was pretty much stuck in its development due to problems like what I was talking about. Got some catching up to do ... thanks again,

Danny

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I already know that a generalized multiplayer version of Orbiter poses some daunting problems, some of which may not even be solvable, so I'm not asking about that.

But I'm wondering about is if a far more limited version of multiplayer might be possible, or maybe has already even been done. What I'd like to do is play Orbiter with one other person, so no need for >2 player capability. We're both on the same local network, so transmission delays would be minimal. (We live well within wireless distance of each other, or could even do it on two PCs in the same home.) We can synchronize the clocks on our PCs pretty easily. And we can turn off all other network traffic, so no congestion.

Would that sort of thing be possible? I imagine that two of the problems with a general multiplayer app would be unreliable transmission times over the Internet, and time synchronization; a "two local people" version seems to greatly reduce or maybe even eliminate both those problems.

If it is possible, has anyone done that? Even if it's not an officially released app, I'm hoping that some developer might respond, "I haven't get general multiplayer to work yet, but as a step toward trying to do that I did develop what you're talking about, and that does work -- wanna look at it?"

Thanks!

Danny

You may contact reverend, he made a promising proof-of-concept for a multiplayer system, running rock-stable on LAN-only setups. I don't know if he ever released it, but according to his statements, it would be what you're looking for.

regards,
Face

Gorn

Reaction score
You may contact reverend, he made a promising proof-of-concept for a multiplayer system, running rock-stable on LAN-only setups. I don't know if he ever released it, but according to his statements, it would be what you're looking for.

Sounds great -- thanks! :speakcool:

Danny