Linux Discussion & Screenshot thread

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
II ocassionally play OpenTTD, SpringRTS, Minecraft, Orbiter, and various old win games through Wine flawlessly.
Well, OpenTTD, SpringRTS and Minecraft don't need WINE at all. They have their native clients/sources/binaries for Linux. :p

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter through wine flawlessly? Tell me more..
Nothing to tell, really. NVidia proprietary drivers + Wine + a few winetricks addins + Orbiter = joy. I even posted screenshots in an old thread (which I can't find :():

If I remember correctly, I had no problems running Orbiter with the default DX7 client, nor with the DX9 client which I had at the time. OGLA didn't work though. Also, I wasn't able to make Orbiter run on my onboard Intel card.

Well, OpenTTD, SpringRTS and Minecraft don't need WINE at all. They have their native clients/sources/binaries for Linux. :p
Well, yeah. I meant 'old win games' through Wine, not exactly those listed.

EDIT: Just ran the latest beta again for a quick test:

Not 'flawless', but good enough: the MFDs are a bit blurred, and (I'm guessing) the letters are a bit 'off'.

Last edited:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Wow. You have got to show me how to do that. Then I'll be only half a step from leaving Windows behind forever:)

A word of advice to any downloading ISO for live CD/USB: keep them. Whether on your hard drive, or burned to a CD. They are hard to download, especially with a wireless connection.

jonmatifa

Reaction score
I have had very good success running Orbiter in wine... except for the MFD dialogue boxes (like for specifying a target), those do not show up at all. Is there some weird dependency for those to draw or something?

storm

Reaction score
I have had very good success running Orbiter in wine... except for the MFD dialogue boxes (like for specifying a target), those do not show up at all. Is there some weird dependency for those to draw or something?

Are you talking about the modal input boxes such as the one below?
MrPKq.png

Works fine here with Wine 1.4

Here's mine btw (img is a bit large, dual monitor setup): http://i.imgur.com/oewFt.jpg
Orbiter with Wine 1.4 works flawlessly.