Linux playground

Gondos

Reaction score
Does the proximity radar work? As far as I remember, quite a lot of important features of that thing don't quite work anymore on Orbiter 2016...
Oh, I didn't check that, just wanted to see the performance impact of the new atmospheric shader...

Lefty

Reaction score
Hey guys, Linux user here, I'm really excited about where Orbiter is going now that it's open source. I just installed Orbiter 2016 using the Lutris installer, and even got XRSound working. I was wondering how mature this Linux port is. Is it better than just running Orbiter on Wine?

Either way, I'm really excited about this, and I don't know, I might even contribute in the future (though right now my coding proficiency is almost non-existent 😅). Keep up the good work!

Gondos

Reaction score
Hi,
There is no current benefit over using wine, except for the satisfaction of using a native build (or boasting that you're the second person on Earth to run NASSP in 64bit with OpenOrbiter on linux:ROFLMAO:)
As the thread name implies, it's a playground to see what it would take to make Orbiter work natively on linux so maturity is not my goal. Hopefully in the future some things can be learned and backported in the official version to make it portable.
It should be workable as long as you don't mind the subpar quality of the OpenGL graphics client.
There are severe limitations because of addons availability (multistage, spacecraft3, IMFD, GeneralVehicle are closed source/non FOSS so could not be worked on).
The NASSP, XR1, XR5, G42-200, and deepstar addons have been "test-ported" and should work (except for the Deepstar scenarios using GeneralVehicle for its rovers).
Cheers

Lefty

Reaction score
Cool! My main issue with running the sim on wine is that the D3D9 graphics client does NOT play well because of issues with runtimes and stuff. I'm guessing this port isn't compatible either...

Anyhow I might try to compile OpenOrbiter now, since I've only been using the 2016 version, and compare the Linux version to the Windows version.

Cheers!