Linux playground

Gondos

Reaction score
Does the proximity radar work? As far as I remember, quite a lot of important features of that thing don't quite work anymore on Orbiter 2016...
Oh, I didn't check that, just wanted to see the performance impact of the new atmospheric shader...

Lefty

Reaction score
Hey guys, Linux user here, I'm really excited about where Orbiter is going now that it's open source. I just installed Orbiter 2016 using the Lutris installer, and even got XRSound working. I was wondering how mature this Linux port is. Is it better than just running Orbiter on Wine?

Either way, I'm really excited about this, and I don't know, I might even contribute in the future (though right now my coding proficiency is almost non-existent 😅). Keep up the good work!

Gondos

Reaction score
Hi,
There is no current benefit over using wine, except for the satisfaction of using a native build (or boasting that you're the second person on Earth to run NASSP in 64bit with OpenOrbiter on linux:ROFLMAO:)
As the thread name implies, it's a playground to see what it would take to make Orbiter work natively on linux so maturity is not my goal. Hopefully in the future some things can be learned and backported in the official version to make it portable.
It should be workable as long as you don't mind the subpar quality of the OpenGL graphics client.
There are severe limitations because of addons availability (multistage, spacecraft3, IMFD, GeneralVehicle are closed source/non FOSS so could not be worked on).
The NASSP, XR1, XR5, G42-200, and deepstar addons have been "test-ported" and should work (except for the Deepstar scenarios using GeneralVehicle for its rovers).
Cheers

Lefty

Reaction score
Cool! My main issue with running the sim on wine is that the D3D9 graphics client does NOT play well because of issues with runtimes and stuff. I'm guessing this port isn't compatible either...

Anyhow I might try to compile OpenOrbiter now, since I've only been using the 2016 version, and compare the Linux version to the Windows version.

Cheers!

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Back after a break and now we've gone full circle :
View attachment 33610
First impression is that glfw seems to work a lot better on Windows than linux...
Glorious!
It's good to have you back!
I was already wondering what had become of this beautiful project. Nice to see activity again!

One question, on my modest hardware I have very low FPS problems after the implementation of the normalmaps. For reference on Windows I don't have the same problem. Is there something that can be done? Is there a switch to disable normalmaps in Orbiter's configuration?

Thanks in advance and congratulations.:cheers::hailprobe:

Gondos

Reaction score
Glorious!
It's good to have you back!
I was already wondering what had become of this beautiful project. Nice to see activity again!

One question, on my modest hardware I have very low FPS problems after the implementation of the normalmaps. For reference on Windows I don't have the same problem. Is there something that can be done? Is there a switch to disable normalmaps in Orbiter's configuration?

Thanks in advance and congratulations.:cheers::hailprobe:
I used a tutorial for the normal maps, and it is probably not the most optimized implementation available...
Here is a bit of XR5 sexiness to show that the Windows API is overrated, even on Windows ;)
Platform backend : glfw
Gfx : OpenGL
GUI : ImGui
Sound : OpenAL

Gondos

Reaction score
Hi all!
We have created a build for Archlinux, but have some build issues.
You are quite adventurous :LOL:
I have no prior knowledge of Archlinux so bear with me.
I tried an install on WSL2 and I get this error (probably due to gcc being more recent than on mint)
Code:
[ 26%] Building CXX object OVP/OGLClient/CMakeFiles/OGLClient.dir/ztreemgr.cpp.o
In file included from /home/gondos/orbiter2016-git/src/TheGondos-orbiter/OVP/OGLClient/ztreemgr.cpp:6:
/home/gondos/orbiter2016-git/src/TheGondos-orbiter/OVP/OGLClient/ztreemgr.h:49:9: error: ‘uint8_t’ does not name a type
   49 |         uint8_t magic[4];      // file ID and version
      |         ^~~~~~~
/home/gondos/orbiter2016-git/src/TheGondos-orbiter/OVP/OGLClient/ztreemgr.h:21:1: note: ‘uint8_t’ is defined in header ‘<cstdint>’; did you forget to ‘#include <cstdint>’?
   20 | #include <iostream>
  +++ |+#include <cstdint>
   21 |

It does not look like the error mentionned in your link about Orbitersdk.h not being found though... Maybe it is because WSL2 only allocates 1 CPU so it's compiling with make -j1.
I'll keep you posted if I can have a working build.
Edit : WSL2 does expose 12 CPUs so it must be makepkg that does not take them into account. Where can I change that?
Edit2 : I pushed an update for compilation on gcc13, however makepkg seems to add a "-Werror=format-security" option which breaks NASSP.

Last edited:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
You are quite adventurous :LOL:
I have no prior knowledge of Archlinux so bear with me.
I tried an install on WSL2 and I get this error (probably due to gcc being more recent than on mint)
Code:
[ 26%] Building CXX object OVP/OGLClient/CMakeFiles/OGLClient.dir/ztreemgr.cpp.o
In file included from /home/gondos/orbiter2016-git/src/TheGondos-orbiter/OVP/OGLClient/ztreemgr.cpp:6:
/home/gondos/orbiter2016-git/src/TheGondos-orbiter/OVP/OGLClient/ztreemgr.h:49:9: error: ‘uint8_t’ does not name a type
   49 |         uint8_t magic[4];      // file ID and version
      |         ^~~~~~~
/home/gondos/orbiter2016-git/src/TheGondos-orbiter/OVP/OGLClient/ztreemgr.h:21:1: note: ‘uint8_t’ is defined in header ‘<cstdint>’; did you forget to ‘#include <cstdint>’?
   20 | #include <iostream>
  +++ |+#include <cstdint>
   21 |

It does not look like the error mentionned in your link about Orbitersdk.h not being found though... Maybe it is because WSL2 only allocates 1 CPU so it's compiling with make -j1.
I'll keep you posted if I can have a working build.
Edit : WSL2 does expose 12 CPUs so it must be makepkg that does not take them into account. Where can I change that?
Edit2 : I pushed an update for compilation on gcc13, however makepkg seems to add a "-Werror=format-security" option which breaks NASSP.
I have Manjaro (which is the slightly friendlier derivative of Arch) and I'll give it a try.

OMG

Gondos

Reaction score
How did you build it on windows?
I fought with cmake to compile glfw, freetype, libsndfile & co ;)
It's really not in a state that can be pushed though... If all goes well, this branch will be retired sooner or later if/when we rework the main repo to be portable as well.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
Hi all!
We have created a build for Archlinux, but have some build issues.
I too have some compiler errors, and since I was installing from a TTY I couldn't exactly extract the error but here's a picture.
IMG_20230718_194548.jpg

Now I am going to try the conventional method of installation.
It may be necessary to open a new thread to fix problems with the PKGBUILD and the AUR process.

-----------------------------EDIT---------------------------
Well, I tried Orbiter via git and it compiles perfectly. So the problem must be in the PKGBUILD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found a bug due to which XRSound is installed in the wrong directory:
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/usr/Orbiter/XRSound/ReadMe.txt
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/usr/Orbiter/XRSound/XRSound-DeltaGlider.cfg
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/usr/Orbiter/XRSound/XRSound-Atlantis.cfg
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/usr/Orbiter/Orbitersdk/XRSound
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/usr/Orbiter/Orbitersdk/XRSound/XRSound.h
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/src/build/XRSound/Default
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/src/build/XRSound/Default/Gear Down and Locked.wav
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/src/build/XRSound/Default/Gear Up.wav
-- Installing: /home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/pkg/orbiter2016-git/home/qwerty/building/orbiter2016-git/src/build/XRSound/Default/Off.wav
I suspect the problem is in the file:
Sound/XRSound/cmake_install.cmake