Software Lockup and CTD On Launching Some Scenarios - vanilla Orbiter and D3D9

Mike1000

Reaction score
Hi. I am a complete Orbiter newbie and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting both lockups and/or CTD when trying to launch some scenarios, while other scenarios launch just fine.

Examples of scenarios that fail are Checklist/Mission 1 and DeltaGliderIV/Earth/Flyby at KCS; examples that work fine are
Delta-Glider/Brighton Beach and DeltaGliderIV/Docked to MIR. Failure or success is consistent; if the scenario fails it fails every time, and if it succeeds it succeeds every time (after many repeated attempts).

For the failing scenarios, when using vanilla Orbiter the program locks up with no error message; the system must be restarted (not even Task Manager will kill the program). When using D3D9, it is a CTD instead of lockup. It is the same scenarios that crash for both vanilla Orbiter and D3D9.

Looking at the logs (verbose on), the last entry is 000000.010: Texture load: .\Textures\Earth\Cloud\05\000000\000001.dds, so perhaps it is failing to extract a texture? I have tried replacing the default textures with some hires textures, but the failure persists. I have also tried disabling Clouds in the visual options, but that didn't help. I have tried re-downloading and re-installing Orbiter (both zip and exe formats); MD5 checksums on the downloads are good.

Running Windows 11 (latest patches), 16 GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti (latest drivers) with 4G, screen resolution 1920x1080 @60 Hz.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mike.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Are there any scenarios that reliably work every time?

Are you certain that you installed the latest D3D9 client for Orbiter 2016? There are downloads for Orbiter Beta and Orbiter 2010 so I just want to make sure.

Mike1000

Reaction score
Hi again n72.75.

Sorry, I didn't notice your first question. Yes, Delta-Glider/Brighton Beach and DeltaGliderIV/Docked to MIR are examples of scenarios that launch 100% of the time. Checklist/Mission 1 and DeltaGliderIV/Earth/Flyby at KCS, fail every time (10+ attempts).

Mike.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just to be clear, you have no addons installed, right, other than the graphics client?

Does windowed mode vs full screen, or any of the other options like full screen window make a difference?

Also, do you have any antivirus running that could be messing things up?

Mike1000

Reaction score
To debug this, I have two installs each on a different drive. One install is 100% vanilla with no addons, no changed textures, and with none of the vanilla Orbiter modules enabled. The other install has the D3D9 client, DeltaGliderIV, XRSound, and OrbiterSound. (I enable only one of the two sound modules when launching to avoid conflict. The problems exhibit regardless which one, or neither, of the sound modules is enabled.) On this install I have also swapped in and out a set of hires textures for Earth, Moon and Mars; the problems occur with both original and the hires textures.

On the vanilla install, I have tried running windowed 1920x1080, and full screen 1920x1080, both 16 and 32 bits. I have also tried Direct3D HAL and T&L HAL, both the entries without the graphics adapter listed and with. I've also tried disabling some of the visual effects like Cloud Layers, Horizon, Celestial Sphere, etc.

On the D3D9 client install, I have tried running in a normal window, and running Full Screen Window (i.e. borderless).

For anitivirus I use only the built-in Microsoft Defender Antivirus. I have tried disabling its real-time protection.

Attached is a log file.

Thanks.

Mike.

Attachments

• Orbiter - Failure Full Screen.log.txt
    21 KB · Views: 8

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow. Nothing in the log.
So if you run a plain vanilla one with D3D9 everything works?

I wonder if the Delta IV is the issue has it was built for 2010

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Oh. I assumed you meant Deltaglider mkiv, ad in the default one. Yeah, the Deltaglider IV (Dan's addon) is not compatible with 2016, only 2010.

Mike1000

Reaction score
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!

This was very strange. I accidentally tried starting one of the problem scenarios in the vanilla install at 1024x768 (windowed) resolution, instead of my monitor's native 1920x1080, and it worked!!! Then, setting the resolution to 1920x1080, it works in both normal window and full-screen borderless modes!!

I tried repeating this in the D3D9 install, but with no success. Strange. But, after installing D3D9 over my vanilla install, everything works windowed and full-screen at 1920x1080! So now I've added DeltaGliderIV-3 and it continues to work!

Explaining why this worked is difficult. Maybe changing the resolution nudged some other setting that got saved to a config file (that isn't read by D3D9). I did notice when installing D3D9 that it replaced one of the vanilla texture files, and I don't remember seeing that when I first installed it - could be wrong. In any case, everything is looking real good now!

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Mike.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
According to the log file you posted above, you were trying to run a non-T&L (transform and lighting) device. Now that it works, are you still using the non-T&L device, or have you switched to a T&L device? If it's the former, does it still work (and hopefully a lot faster) if you switch to T&L? If it's the latter, does it still fail if you switch back to non-T&L?

Devices with T&L capabilities perform more operations on the GPU and are therefore much faster. You can usually detect them in the device list because they have "T&L" in the name. To verify that you are running a device with T&L capability, check the "Graphics: Hardware T&L capability" line in the log file.

This only refers to the inline and D3D7 clients. The D3D9 client only enumerates T&L devices, AFAIK.

Mike1000

Reaction score
Hi Martins. I have verified that everything works great now on the T&L device (using orbiter.exe to avoid D3D9).

T&L is my usual setting. In trying to isolate/debug the problem I had been trying all sorts of permutations on the video settings. The log I posted was from just one such attempt, trying to setup conditions that were as vanilla and simple as possible.

This was a really baffling problem. Let me know if there is any info, or anything you would like me to try, to better understand what happened. But from my point of view I'm very happy to have Orbiter working. It is a wonderful program!!

Thanks.

Mike.