Mac or PC

• MAC

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • PC

Votes: 33 89.2%

• Total voters

Star explorer

Reaction score
Which one do you think is the best. And yes I know that you can't run Orbiter on Mac (I think).
I just want to know if you have ever used both, which do you prefer?

Rixile

Reaction score
Computer.

Macs are limited in software compatibility which makes it frustrating when i have the need to install software on it. Plus mac processes never go away when you delete them, it's like flushing a toilet and the.. You know.. won't go through if you understand my statement.

There is nothing more fun than making your own pc, and playing a lot of awesome games on it. Plus the Mac interface is annoying, Windows is more clear and understandable.

Besides, Mac's advertising is full of lies and garbage. PC is not.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
I grew up using macs. Can't stand the operating system -- it's too bubbly and too much goes on in the background without user notification. But I've built a few computers and am comfortable messing around with the innards of my case. Macs are for stupid peo.... Mommies and Daddies :D

My biggest gripe is that they're grossly overpriced, undercompatible, and still crash, freeze, and suffer from hardware failures despite Mac-enthusiasts claiming otherwise. If you know what you're doing, PCs rarely fail. And I prefer a system that understands all systems fail eventually to one that assumes it won't.

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
well I happen to run a parallel port off my mac and it seems to work like a charm. In fact I try not to report bugs since most of yours (I mean pc peoples) usualy don't appear in mine. I liked when spcefrk called macs for stupid people. In fact I'm posting on my iTouch now. I love macs and I like the fact that it is wicked fast and never get's any kind of virus. If that's for stupid people I'm all for it. No hacking my system and no crap ware. Oh yeah I'm never bleeping around forums asking when so and so is going to be fixed

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
PC with dual-boot (windows XP + Ubuntu Linux)

I don't think the Mac is incompatible when running software. I think windows is the incompatible one. It isn't following any standard (POSIX for instance), and microsoft doesn't publish complete API specifications for their own systems. Unfortunately, as most people use windows, the non-windows users become the victims of this incompatibility.

I like the PC over the Mac for the same reason I like Linux over windows. I like it when you can choose your own components for everything. The PC is a more open hardware platform, so there are a lot of hardware vendors.

At this moment I only use windows for Orbiter and some games. And for compiling the windows versions of some programs I'm developing.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
PC.

Here Macs are mostly exposition items - there are very few places you can buy it, the prices are thru the ceiling - the software is sold at prices over 5 times per dvd than PC ones, the machines themselves are from two to three times more expensive than similar-specs PCs.
It's simply not worth it.

As the system go, MacOS feels similar to Windows - neither are usable out of the box, both requires hard tweaking to run reliably and need third-party software to work efficiently.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Whichever one does the job I need do in the simplest manner.
PC, Mac, Linux - I don't care. I want something that carries through on it's promises rather than something that delivers a shell with no substance.

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
Linux all the way!

Macs are for multimedia, Windows for games and Linux for everything else.

I like my windows installation a lot more now that it looks nothing like windows. I have installed blackbox4win and the theme "Royale Noir", so it looks like a dark linux theme with a couple of windows logos floating around.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I like Macs, I just don't use them. I think Apples does a great job in the design of them, visually, as technically (Macs are still the only computers which completely implement the recommendations of Intel for x86 systems).

But without a reason to change, I will prefer my small DIY wind tunnel.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have had a couple of changes to use Mac and I must say that I am impressed about how well they work. Those can run Windows and windows software/games much faster and more stable way than my current PC.

I suppose that one major problem with PCs is that there are a lot of broken hardware being sold. A hardware that doesn't send out a smoke but causes a random CTDs and hang-ups. Most often the windows and microsoft is being blamed first evenif the source of the problem is the hardware.

Macs are more expencive than PCs but buying a broken hardware often becomes more expencive. I have seen it. Of course, you can return the hardware if it's borken enough and you are willing to wait and argue about it and that process sometimes do cause a lot of extra costs. There are a lot of people those don't complain but just buy a new one to replace the non-working one.

I suppose the Mac users are happy because they often buy a new Mac to replase the old one rather than buying a new PC instead.

Star explorer

Reaction score
wow i guess those tv commercials are lying, you know the one were they say im a mac and im a pc and the mac blabers on about how mac is better than pc BLA BLA BLA

Cobalt

Reaction score
I've used both, public schools always had Macs, (old, old macs) and the computers I've had at home were always PCs.

I prefer my PC, if only because I've been using them forever. No problem with Macs except their advertising crap.

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
wow i guess those tv commercials are lying, you know the one were they say im a mac and im a pc and the mac blabers on about how mac is better than pc BLA BLA BLA

depends on what the idiot box feeds you. If you listen to the commercials then yes the macs can do what they say in the commercial. However depends on what you feed your noggin.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
In My opinion, PC.
Now, dont get me wrong: Macs have wonderful software. I have used one in school and it amazes me. But, you cant buy any software for them. The reason they have things like Photoshop and iMovie is because you cannot buy software that does that for a mac.

And, I'm just used to a PC more.