Updates Mars Science Laboratory (Curiosity)

fort

Reaction score
I hope that Curiosity did not land on a paying place, with a parcmeter in front of.:sos:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's no Olympic category for Mars landings, but I believe NASA/JPL just set the record...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Higher resolution version (512x512) of the one of first images (still it's 1/2 of the full resolution):
673559main_msl5_946-710.jpg

Screamer7

Reaction score
The soil have a very fine texture. And is it a hill or something on the upper left corner?
It looks like the rocket motors blown up a lot of dust.

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
Can someone explain how they "etched" those names into the microchip that's sitting on the deck of the rover? Is it like binary data, or actual, microscopic etchings? I can't seem to find any info on them, thanks.

-RODION

fraxudemspas

Reaction score
Can someone explain how they "etched" those names into the microchip that's sitting on the deck of the rover? Is it like binary data, or actual, microscopic etchings? I can't seem to find any info on them, thanks.

-RODION

My guess is it's some kind of solid state, radiation hardened data storage with an ASCII text file on it.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing.

Now the sad part is that, now all the pyrotechnics and crazy engineering has passed, we're now going to settle in for a slow roll across the landscape where the real science begins. Public interest will wane in a few hours, and people will forget.

I think NASA/JPL has been doing an excellent job getting public interest up, but geology and a rover making 200 m per day really are hard things to publicize. NASA is always a soft target for budget cuts because they can't keep their activities on the front page of the newspaper, like the military can.

What could NASA/JPL do if it were flush with money?

Der Zeitgeist

Reaction score
Now the sad part is that, now all the pyrotechnics and crazy engineering has passed, we're now going to settle in for a slow roll across the landscape where the real science begins. Public interest will wane in a few hours, and people will forget.

Well, so they have to make the science part interesting to the public, provide some cool photos to look at now and then.

From a PR perspective, first thing I'd do wouldn't be driving over to some rock deposits but rather check out the crashed descent stage and snap some nice pictures of that. :cool:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From a PR perspective, first thing I'd do wouldn't be driving over to some rock deposits but rather check out the crashed descent stage and snap some nice pictures of that.

That was actually a question in an interview in the google hangout I was following. They said that they'll steer as clear as possible of the decent stage. There's still some 100 kg of rocket fuel in there.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That was actually a question in an interview in the google hangout I was following. They said that they'll steer as clear as possible of the decent stage. There's still some 100 kg of rocket fuel in there.

Wouldn't that explode once it crashed?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
No, you need three things for an explosion, fuel, ignition source and a sustainer. Mars doesn't have those so it's safe but the fuel itself is toxic. I also suspect that it's only combustible under pressure.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Don't they use hydrazine as fuel? That thing ignites no matter what. If it's in the hypergolic form, and the components come into contact, there should be an explosion that would disperse the rest of the propellant. If it's the monopropellant thing, it only burns as long as it's in contact with the catalyst elements.

Either way, we're lucky there are no intelligent lifeforms on Mars or they'd be very angry right now...