Idea Mercury and Gemini add-on improvements

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Yes, the personal thing is something that I also know very well. If I knew how to program, I would like it very much to make a systems simulation of the Mercury and Gemini, ....

You might want to take a look at Javascript! Don't laugh :p, it is a really simple language used by your web browser but it will get you on the right direction and it's not time consuming. You can try something simple with it, let's say a calculator :) and then move on to more complicated stuff. Like an Apollo DSKY simulator:
http://apollo.spaceborn.dk/dsky-sim.html

Now for the fun part: GoogleEarth can be run in a browser window and controled from Javascript and yes, both the Earth and Moon are selectable.. so it is possible to build a simulator on top of it, or to use it as a 3D engine. Endless possibilities really...

So don't overlook the web languages and APIs, they are the future and some knowledge of those will be useful for your real life.

Swatch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Keep in mind the last stable version released was in '05 or '06.

I'm not knocking NASSP and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but a visit to the Meadville forums is a reasonable illustration of the old addage that "Too many cooks spoil the soup."

I don't know... I prefer the saying... "Good things come to those who wait." :thumbup: But more accurate is probably, "Better is the enemy of good enough."

To be honest, the BETA as it stands now is nothing like the '05/'06 version. Everything in the actual Apollo spacecraft was so interconnected that once we made the choice to go that extra step to full realism, we sacrificed a normal release schedule. As it stands, the BETA handles the CSM amazingly well, and as a whole, the BETA is a very stable piece of code... but its constantly evolving and changing. This is very different than a code being unstable, instead, we strive to release features as they're implemented. I haven't had the anonymous SVN BETA crash on me in over a year.

I agree, we are well behind on a 'release', but the number of developers has also dropped to almost nobody. Tschachim, movieman and dseagrav are the only hard coders we have working on the project right now with a few others doing things here and there (like myself). I wish I had more time to dig into the coding, but unless I can really spend time on it, I'd just as soon not start down that path without a light at the end of the tunnel.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
As long as you are having fun developing it, it doesn't matter if it takes years. Actually it DOES take a long time to get anything serious done, not only in Orbiter but also in real life. Everybody that wants to get involved in addon making should know this, so it's never too much to repeat it: IT TAKES TIME! :)

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
Wow! It has been so long since I have been in this thread! I really appreciate all your efforts Saturn V and 4throck! Development may be slow, but the results will be ASTOUNDING!

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know... I prefer the saying... "Good things come to those who wait." :thumbup: But more accurate is probably, "Better is the enemy of good enough."

To be honest, the BETA as it stands now is nothing like the '05/'06 version. Everything in the actual Apollo spacecraft was so interconnected that once we made the choice to go that extra step to full realism, we sacrificed a normal release schedule. As it stands, the BETA handles the CSM amazingly well, and as a whole, the BETA is a very stable piece of code... but its constantly evolving and changing. This is very different than a code being unstable, instead, we strive to release features as they're implemented. I haven't had the anonymous SVN BETA crash on me in over a year.

I agree, we are well behind on a 'release', but the number of developers has also dropped to almost nobody. Tschachim, movieman and dseagrav are the only hard coders we have working on the project right now with a few others doing things here and there (like myself). I wish I had more time to dig into the coding, but unless I can really spend time on it, I'd just as soon not start down that path without a light at the end of the tunnel.

I agree 100% with "better being the enemy of good enough!" That's precisely the thinking that keeps delaying this project. On the one hand, you want to be able to be proud of the work you've done, but on the other, I've found myself almost overwhelmed with "improvements" that probably don't mean much to anybody but me.

The NASSP BETA being different from the '05/'06 version (BTW: I probably misused the term "stable." I was referring to a completed release as opposed to a BETA...didn't mean to imply that the BETA was unstable) is in large part why I've come to prefer AMSO the last several years. The last I was spending any appeciable time at the Meadville forum, it appeared that the main focus had switched to the CSM and the Apollo 7 mission.

While it was an historic flight and the replication/simulation of Colossus IIA and the DSKY are impressive, I"m just much more interested in the lunar flights/landings.

I recall seeing some absolutely tremendous work being done (I was particularly taken with some updated F1 engine exhaust textures and the preliminary work on a new LM model. The Taurus-Littrow Project was also quite an eye-popper) that seemed to have fallen by the wayside given the new direction of NASSP.

The divergence in direction (aside from losing my interest) is part of what I meant by not all involved parties being in agreement. Admittedly, I haven't been to Meadville in quite awhile, but I can't imagine that there'd be a concensus among the developers of an Apollo sim to de-prioritize the landing flights.

My take on it was that at one time, there were too many people contributing and consequently, the add-on got mired down to the point that its direction and focus were somewhat lost for awhile. When the focus was reacquired, it just wasn't what I expected. No harm, no foul. I'm just one guy...

In any case, NASSP is outstanding at what it aims to do, and I certainly meant no disrespect to it or its developers.

Swatch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While it was an historic flight and the replication/simulation of Colossus IIA and the DSKY are impressive, I"m just much more interested in the lunar flights/landings.

I agree, I think we lost quite a few people's day-to-day attention, but the good news is when we do finally release, they'll be truly surprised!

I recall seeing some absolutely tremendous work being done (I was particularly taken with some updated F1 engine exhaust textures and the preliminary work on a new LM model. The Taurus-Littrow Project was also quite an eye-popper) that seemed to have fallen by the wayside given the new direction of NASSP.

I think Ford Perfect is actually working on those again. :)

... I can't imagine that there'd be a concensus among the developers of an Apollo sim to de-prioritize the landing flights.

My take on it was that at one time, there were too many people contributing and consequently, the add-on got mired down to the point that its direction and focus were somewhat lost for awhile.

You actually pegged it here... but I don't think we've de-prioritized the landing flights, but we spat out what we were working on and took a smaller bite. The good news is the LM work is starting again... and that can only mean one thing... ;)

But we're off-topic... I just wanted to let you know that we are trying to get back to where we have a releasable project.

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
Admittedly, I haven't been to Meadville in quite awhile, but I can't imagine that there'd be a concensus among the developers of an Apollo sim to de-prioritize the landing flights.

Well, we have pretty much the same problem the real guys had: The LM isn't ready... ;)

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Small update to the project...

Here's what I've managed today.

Basic layout of the New Launch Complex 19 in Orbiter:
LC19-2.jpg

The complex is NOT finished, but the spatial relationship of the major structures is blocked in.

Launch Pad with Agena LC14 in the background:
LC19-3.jpg

Relative positions of LC14 & 19:
LC19-1.jpg

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Looks really really good :cheers: !
If you need any help with it, just ask. I was thinking that I might do a ground texture based on the photo bellow:

Gemini%20Cx%2019%200143.jpg

Any advice on how to integrate it with the pads? A simple texture or a more detailed ground mesh?

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Got a fair bit of detail work done today. Mostly support buildings and the flame bucket...

Two of the new support buildings on the north side of the pad. These buildings had movable walls so the ground crew could configure them as needed...took me awhile to figure that out! The models don't depict any particular period or flight, just what I thought looked interesting...

LC19SupBldgs.jpg

Moving around the complex, here's the new flame bucket directly under the launch stand. You can also see a support gondola (the white structure) on the left corner of the launch platform as well as the corrected garage doors on the side of the launch structure...

LC19SupBldgs2.jpg

This took the most time and concentration...the new electrical support building on the south side of the complex and the conduits along the walls of both the support building and the pad...

LC19SupBldgs3.jpg

I felt these corrections had to be made to really bring LC19 alive. Still quite a bit of work to do, but it's coming along.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I've lost my mind...but at least I'm on a roll!

LC19SupBldgs4.jpg

Perhaps too much detail? Will most folks ever notice? Ah well, at least I know it's there...

LC19SupBldgs5.jpg

BTW: How's that groundwork coming along? I'm looking forward to seeing how this all fits together.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Great job you guys :speakcool:! I just might start up my "I Dream of Jeannie" blogs again using these new and improved pads when their done :).

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Nuke! How've you been?

Yeah, I started out on this project to clear some of the clutter off my drives. And uh...somehow, I've actually managed to add to the mess!

Anyway, I still haven't forgotten what we started and I still think it's better than anything out there. Just been simmering on a back burner.
After almost two years, when it's finished, at least it should be "well done!" :lol:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That launch pad looks great.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you. Just wish I could be satisfied with this stuff when I think I'm done with it. But I keep finding different angles and data while I'm looking for other things and I just have to go back and correct the model.

Compare this to the images above and you begin to get an idea why this is taking so long...

LC19SupBldgs6.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Welcome to my world :hello:!! Remember, most people won't have a clue to what detail is missing, so they won't have an appreciation for the extra work. Advice, ...don't sweat the details !!:tiphat:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Don!

Yeah, I hear you, but that's the rub, isn't it? I actually try to build these things in such a way that they're satisfying to me.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that other folks seem to enjoy them, but I don't build this stuff because "my Mom didn't love me," or I need an "Attaboy!" :lol:

Sadly, I'm just an old, historic space geek with an eye for detail!!!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I hear ya !!