Idea Mercury and Gemini add-on improvements

Puma

Reaction score
I suggest to post a beta firsts then see what happen..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I could always try to get closer to reality...have some NAVY planes take off from Okinawa, deploy the divers and set it up so you could sail the Mason alongside Gemini 8 in 3 hours.

Make it so! :thumbup:

Let's see...that would delay release until approximately....late summer...2011?

Don't be so pessimistic, it could also be done by April 2010. The impossible will be done immediately, wonders take a bit longer. :tiphat:

Making the retrieval take part in high sea state would be a wonder... getting a plane and a ship into Orbiter is not even impossible.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'll look at it when I go back to fine tune the recovery sequences. Right now I'm trying to write the guidance files to recreate the failure of the Gemini 6 & 9 Agenas (got the ATDA done as noted above), finish the last few items at LC19 and correct some minor details at LC14.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I'll look at it when I go back to fine tune the recovery sequences. Right now I'm trying to write the guidance files to recreate the failure of the Gemini 6 & 9 Agenas (got the ATDA done as noted above), finish the last few items at LC19 and correct some minor details at LC14.

Do not know if you have seen the following, but I've just found the 1968 Post Gemini technical report which has an entire chapter on the ATDA.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19680016105_1968016105.pdf 20+ mb

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No changes made to the stock Agena other than it being launchable.

80mileshigh did an outstanding ATDA which again, other than being launchable, remains unchanged.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I've been playing with the Gemini Centaur lunar flyby addon and got the Centaur to launch on the Titan. It's possible to launch both rockets at the same time and that is quite a show ;-) Not that realistic, but possible.

Anyone has ever done any work on the Gemini lunar lander? I've seen several proposals, but no real data (size, weight, mission details, etc.) One looks like the LEM engine and legs with a Gemini capsule on top...

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Few further delays guys...with all the drama in my personal life over the last 2 months, I ran myself into the ground (lost 60 lbs for starters), and now I'm battling pnuemonia. I'll get back to this when I have the strength & the presence of mind. Sorry....

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
60 lbs?!? Crap dude, take as much time as you need to get better. I think everyone here will understand, and if they don't they can get over it.
When I was in my 20's I'd be willing to take risks with my own health, nearly worked myself into the ground, stress mental or physical will eventually take it's toll. That was then, my attitude is much different now.
Take care of yourself, that's the bottom line.

kino_astroboy

Orbinaut-in-Training
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry I have been inactive lately. With school, my PS3 ;), and a really slow computer, it was frustrating just trying to load a scenario and I eventually dozed off from Orbiter.

I also apologize to Saturn V for not responding to his PMs and I also hope he gets well. If there's anything you need, feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do.

I've also noticed that I've been missing out in some good add-ons lately, such as UCGO and DGIV-2. :)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Saturn V, take care of your personal heath and life.:)

I hope you continue to use Orbiter as a hobbie and as something that makes you feel good. Never as something more to worrie about.So hang on in there, keep having fun and adding stuff to your addon, I know that it will be fun when released. No pressure really and no need to apologise. Nobody is paying you or demanding anything. :thumbup:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Few further delays guys...with all the drama in my personal life over the last 2 months, I ran myself into the ground (lost 60 lbs for starters), and now I'm battling pnuemonia. I'll get back to this when I have the strength & the presence of mind. Sorry....

Friend...been there and done that!

Have had walking pneumonia...hope your taking doctor's orders to heart.

Get well soon...you'll be in my prayers.

:cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I also had pneumonia as teenager, which is not really a piece of cake to get over. Luckily, I only had a small one (Only one third of one wing of the lung was inflamed), but it was still enough for ruining the school holidays, since I managed to contract it on the first day of them, and still thought that I just caught a strong influenza until after a week.

Get well really soon, and don't forget to listen to your MD.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I've been looking at this:

geminilunar.jpg

From the drawings I've seen the Lunar Gemini might be just that, the capsule on top of the LEM's base. It makes sense, and all parts seem to go in the right places.
I know that there would be a mirror installed in front of one of the Gemini's windows so that the astronaut could see the lunar surface...

Something like this is can be done, and we already have the meshes for it. The main problem might be the surface EVA.
One thing that I can't understand form the documents I've read is the Earth return. How does the Gemini capsule lift of from the Moon? Is the service module modified so that it has a engine? I don't think there's enough room in there for it and supplies for an extended mission.

Any thoughts on doing something like this?

Last edited:

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
Hey that looks nice and really according to the drawings :)!

Only problem is that the ladder is on the opposite side of the doors, or did you just take an Apollo LM Descent stage and mounted it under the Gemini for the illustration ;)?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Hey that looks nice and really according to the drawings :)!

Only problem is that the ladder is on the opposite side of the doors, or did you just take an Apollo LM Descent stage and mounted it under the Gemini for the illustration ;)?

Yes, I just put the two models together. Just to see if it made some sense.
The ladder is under the doors :thumbup: so no big problem there.