Question Mesh making with Anim8or

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There is a brilliant plugin that links Blender directly to your Orbiter Mesh and Tex. folders, does all the left/right stuff, and even set msh flags in Blender, and is literally as easy as one click and you have a msh in Orbiter.
what plugin? where?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've finished the first lesson about making a vessel with Spacecraft2. During this I worked a little with Anim8or, Mesh Wizard, DxTex.exe, Shipeedit.exe, and with the *.dds, *.msh, *.ini, *.scn files. I've been working with it in OpenOrbiter and I really glad that it works. I even docked with it:

a.pngb.png

I'm going to continue with Spacecraft4, Vessel Builder, texturing, animations, and then maybe programming an own *.dll module.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
SC4 is just an updated version of SC2, the problem is that the touchdown points and attachments don't work in Orb2016+, that's why, even though beta, Vessel builder is a better option, also very useful for double checking/setting up for coding a .dll

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks.
Sorry for the following stupid questions:

If we want to make a simple space station with working docking ports and maybe with some simple animations, light beacons, and without touchdown points (let's suppose it will fly only in space) and attachments, then the "Spacecraft4" is completely enough for this purpose?

Could you mention some examples explaining what are the attachments you mentioned? Is it like the attachment of cargo or something else?
the touchdown points and attachments don't work in Orb2016+
So, there's no way to make a vessel based on "Spacecraft4" which won't fall through the ground and therefore won't be able to land on the surface in OpenOrbiter, isn't it?

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Thanks.
Sorry for the following stupid questions:

If we want to make a simple space station with working docking ports and maybe with some simple animations, light beacons, and without touchdown points (let's suppose it will fly only in space) and attachments, then the "Spacecraft4" is completely enough for this purpose?
Yes (but no attachments with any SC in any Orb2016+), but I'd still reccomend VB, if you skip animations and beacons a simple .cfg is enough
Could you mention some example explaining what are the attachments you mentioned? Is it like the attachment of cargo or something else?
You can use it like a one-use docking port- eg. heatshield jettison, cargo, but one can also make parent/child chains and so has many uses
So, there's no way to make a vessel based on "Spacecraft4" which won't fall through the ground, isn't it?
AFAIK I'm afraid so, but VB can do all that SC does and more, It's a little tricky and I preferred the syntax in SC, but they are pretty similar (all share the same Orbiter API).
If you want to see what incredible stuff can be done with VB checkout the addons from jacquesmomo

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'd still reccomend VB
VB can do all that SC does and more
Thanks for this. I'm really going to try VB, I just started from SC because there were some tutorials with examples and explanations. For now I don't know how to start learning VB, that is how to understand its commands, options and graphic interface. I haven't seen any detailed documentation for VB yet.
if you skip animations and beacons a simple .cfg is enough
Sorry, I'm afraid I might have misunderstood. Which one(s) is right?:
1) The only *.cfg file is enough for making some animations and beacons (without SC and VB).
2) I can make some animations and beacons with SC (without VB).
3) I can't make animations and beacons even with SC, so I need VB for this.
If you want to see what incredible stuff can be done with VB checkout the addons from @jacquesmomo
Yes, I've already seen Cessna, characters, animations and others. It's a great and big work.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I'm really going to try VB, I just started from SC because there were some tutorials with examples and explanations. For now I don't know how to start learning VB that is how to understand its commands, options and graphic interface. I haven't seen any detailed documentation for VB yet.
This is exactly the best way to go, especially because there is no doc. for VB
Sorry, I'm afraid I might have misunderstood. Which one(s) is right?:
1) The only *.cfg file is enough for making some animations and beacons (without SC and VB).
2) I can make some animations and beacons with SC (without VB).
3) I can't make animations and beacons even with SC, so I need VB for this.
.cfg= no animation, no lights (and TD points are "broken")
SC= no attachments, no TD points in Orb2016+
VB= you can do all of the above without restrictions

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
.cfg= no animation, no lights (and TD points are "broken")
It's a little strange since the TouchdownPoints option is presented in OrbiterConfig.pdf for the 2016 edition:

O.png

What does it mean that the TD points are broken if we use only *.cfg file for a vessel?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
After several tests I noticed that the TouchdownPoints command in a VesselName.cfg has no effect on a vessel. Yes? So, is it just a mistake that this command is presented in OrbiterConfig.pdf for the 2016 edition?
I get the same vessel placement on the ground for different values for the TouchdownPoints and even if the command is disabled:

t.png

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
With Orbiter2016 came new TD points, the doc. was never updated (it's the old text from 2010).
Unfortuneately I have no idea if TD points are supported in .cfg files in Orb2016 and what the syntax would look like, maybe we find out with O24?

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
the doc. was never updated (it's the old text from 2010)
Thanks.
Unfortuneately I have no idea if TD points are supported in .cfg files in Orb2016 and what the syntax would look like, maybe we find out with O24?
It might be a good option to be able to set TD points just in a vessel *.cfg file, because it's one of the basic functions.

So, there are at least three ways to get worked TD points (let's think and talk about OpenOrbiter):
1) Compiling own vessel *.dll module.
2) Using VesselBuilder.
3) And there's Legacy Touchdown Points addon by @nbcfrosty. Sadly I haven't tried this yet. Maybe it allows to set DT points in a *.cfg file or/and set TD points command in Spacecraft4. (?)

I'm not sure, maybe I had to create a new thread regarding Touchdown Points (for OpenOrbiter).

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
It might be a good option to be able to set TD points just in a vessel *.cfg file, because it's one of the basic functions.
Absolutely agree
This an ok hack/workaround so you can use vessels made in SC4 or compiled for Orb2010 in Orb2016, it's not perfect though, orientation on landing etc., but better than nothing and you can at least still use the few gems that'll never be updated
I'm not sure, maybe I had to create a new thread regarding Touchdown Points (for OpenOrbiter).
I did address the problem just recently here, it is also a old known issue I believe, but I think the Devs are pretty busy at the moment.
As a basic essential function it would be nice to have clarity on the issue. I was thinking of experimenting with syntax in the .cfg (in theory it just has a few extra variables), but hey maybe it's been stripped entirely!

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Reading an old tutorial I see:

Axes.jpg

Orbiter X = Anim8or X
Orbiter Y = -Anim8or Z
Orbiter Z = Anim8or Y

Question 1: Is there a mistake and the first line had to be "Orbiter X = -Anim8or X", or the orienation of a reference frame was changed from the left-handed to the right-handed in version 1.00 of Anim8or (it seems not)?

Question 2: I'm trying to get coordinates of a point by double clicking on the corresponding vertex, but its coordinates are displayed in the local reference frame of a mesh, not in the global one. For example, here I have a separate mesh for a vertical stabilizer of a plane. How can I see it's coordinates in a global reference frame (in order to use them for the Orbiter reference frame)?:

a.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can have attachment point in SC. even robotic arms.

VB just has youtube videos for learning.

I like VB because it is live. You can make changes in game and see axis,.... Then I use the info for a DLL

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Just to clarify, it is (AFAIK) only the jettison part of attachments that is not working in SC

Most 3D programs have the Z and Y axis, -x and +x swapped in relation to Orbiter, I don't know if this is the case with Anim8tor, there are exceptions.

SC and VB are very similar, I learned by converting SC vessels and "taking apart" the example .cfgs
As gattispilot said it has an ingame menu, so you can play around and see what happens (not all features work correctly though), your best references are the SC doc. and the Orbiter API docs (OrbiterSDK folder).
It is, unfortuneately, partly uncharted terrain, but the best is to get started and if you get stuck, ask, I for one would be happy to assist and look forward to seeing your creations in Orbiter!

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Experimentally I found that it's correct:
Orbiter X = Anim8or X
Orbiter Y = -Anim8or Z
Orbiter Z = Anim8or Y
It's just a "feature" that the left side of a vessel displayed in Anim8or will be the right side of the vessel in Orbiter. I just didn't expect such behavior, but there's no problem, now I understand.

What is a syntax to make a reference to a member name without "@"?

It is, unfortuneately, partly uncharted terrain, but the best is to get started and if you get stuck, ask, I for one would be happy to assist and look forward to seeing your creations in Orbiter!
Thanks, it's very nice! I noticed earlier that you have several vessel addons made with VB, so I'll try to use them as samples. (I even think I could write some actual tutorials on VB, but first I need to learn something myself :))

Nevertheless I'm sure there should be a way to get a vertex coordinates in the global reference frame in Anim8or, not in a local reference frame of a mesh (highlighted cube). For example, these two yellow vertexes display the same coordinates. Of course, we can see the coordinates using Mesh Wizard, but maybe it can be done in Anim8or. (?)

a.png

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
It's just a "feature" that the left side of a vessel displayed in Anim8or will be the right side of the vessel in Orbiter. I just didn't expect such behavior, but there's no problem, now I understand.
This can very tricky/nasty when working with MFDs
What is a syntax to make a reference to a member name without "@"?
Oh god, I fight everyday with the forum. No idea, I just copy the name from below the Avatar!
I noticed earlier that you have several vessel addons made with VB
Actually the Flash Gordon addon (which in my opinion should recieve the award for "ugliest VC ever implented in Orbiter"- my fisrt, and only) was my VB testbed, VB was new and I had a simple mesh that needed animation and "as proof of concept" managed to include most standard features. As it is not as complicated as the DG it's a good example for learning, swap out the mesh and adjust things.
I even think I could write some actual tutorials on VB
sorely needed, and I'm sure it would be very much appreciated.:)
but maybe it can be done in Anim8or
I'm sure it can, wish I could help? If it helps they are often called world coordinates.