Question Mesh making with Anim8or

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Sorry for such stupid questions, just learning a tutorial how to model a plane with Anim8or, and have some questions about this program (if it's possible to do).

How to remove selected points:

1.png

And connect adjacent ones with edges to get such (orange) edges:

2.png

Is it possible to make a horizontal cutting line (just like holding Shift in Paint for line drawing)?

3.png

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Unfortuneatly I don't use Anim8tor, I think gattispilot does. But I think what your looking for is: weld vertices by distance, and cut plane, or knife, but I don't know where they are or what they are called in this program?

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
1) Select your points (arrow or selection square) then press the del key (of your keyboard)

an1.jpg

2) Use the tool (at the bottom and left) and go from point 1 (in white) by pressing the left mouse button to your point 2 (which turns red) and release the mouse button

an2.jpg

3) use the knife and press the left mouse button while making your cut

an3.jpg

There is no tool or key to make a horizontal or vertical line (like shift in Photoshop) but there is a way to do it.
I'll explain to you tomorrow 😉

Last edited:

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I deleted the points and added edges, but it seems I must add faces too (although there is the Fill Holes command). It looks pretty difficult. I will explain what I mean. I have the left mesh and want to make it like the right one, just removing four points and connect the adjacent points that lie on the same edge:

1.png

Maybe there is a special command to make it quickly?

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I deleted the points and added edges, but it seems I must add faces too (although there is the Fill Holes command). It looks pretty difficult. I will explain what I mean. I have the left mesh and want to make it like the right one, just removing four points and connect the adjacent points that lie on the same edge:
ok 😉

So to make a horizontal or vertical line (or cut), here are 2 ways to do it that I use very often:

1) with the grid:

menu go to Option => Grid...
enable Show Grid option
then in Objects set the distance (for example 1) distance = meters

01.jpg

then enable "grid snap"

02.jpg

2) Another method: with a “cube” object
- make a cube and follow its contour to help yourself to draw a line

03.jpg

A cube can be very useful to obtain a graduated ruler

Double click on the cube object, and adjust its dimensions and divisions
for example 1 meter and 10 divisions

04.jpg

We get a graduated ruler
(I often use this to measure dimensions or distances.)

05.jpg

at the end, delete the cube

Note: the knife can cut a mesh object but cannot cut a cube object.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Learning and trying to make a plane tail following a tutorial of making a simple plane mesh from a cylinder using Anim8or I get a strange element that looks like a face, but that can't be highlighted, so I don't know what is that:

2.png

Also, it seems like there are completely symmetric points in the plane tail:

3.png4.png

I symmetrically connect these points and merge them, but get completely assymetric result. I observe it in Anim8or, and also in Orbiter:

1.png

Maybe anyone could help me with explaining of this, please? I attach my mesh in *.an8 format.

Attachments

• plane.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 3

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Hi

So I see at least 2 errors:

There must not be points on a line without a triangle
(see image 1 what to do and img 2 explanation)

And there is a triangle "face" which must be false (red arrow)

000.jpg 001.jpg

I'll look at your an8 file this afternoon a tell you after were is the issue.......

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
So I think your technique is not the right one for making the tail of the plane (rear wings and rudder).

Start by making a “cube” element (one side only ) here is the right wing :

t01.jpg

Then give it an approximate dimensions and a number of divisions according to your idea

Then convert this cube into a mesh element

t03.jpg

cuts the mesh (or/and modifies its points)

t04.jpg

t05.jpg

t06.jpg
Mirror the wing (X axis)

t07.jpg

Make the same for the rudder

t08.jpg

of course it's not over:
you then have to fill in the faces, complete the missing lines
then modify the thickness etc....

You'll see, once you understand, animat8r is very easy.

Attachments

• t06.jpg
    t06.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2
  • t03.jpg
    t03.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1
  • t02.jpg
    t02.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks a lot for the advice.
So I think your technique is not the right one for making the tail of the plane (rear wings and rudder).
Of course, I just followed the tutorial How to model a plane. It teaches how to model the whole plane from the only one cylinder. I started from this, because I never studied 3D modeling, and I actually don't know anything about this right now. So, I decided to start from the Anim8or. I think I could try Blender later for comparison as well.

Could you recommend some learning materials (documents and videos (maybe in English)) that you think may be useful for starting modeling, for example, planes for Orbiter with Anim8or? Or have I to start from the manual on the Anim8or official site?

Any advice from anyone is welcome.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Alternatively, you can draw a closed path of a cross section through the profile of the wing or stabilizer and the extrude it, making essentially a rectangular wing.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
After exporting the mesh into the *.3ds format, and reopening it in the Anim8or some new elements were added. Here also the asymmetry is noticed:

1.png

Well, I'm going to learn this. I found books, guides and videos on Anim8or, so I will try it all, especially the official manual. Also, I'd like to understand other aspects of the vessel development for Orbiter.

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Yes, I know there are some issues with the anim8or 3Ds converter. (import and export).
So that's why I make the textures with UVmapper ....

• I make my meshes in anim8or
  • I export to *.obj (it works good) to texture with UVmapper.
( it is better to do object by object (or element by element) and sometimes I cut in several faces an element before texturing it.)
  • I reinmport this textured obj file into anim8or
  • sometimes (if I had cut out an element) I merge certain points which may be double
  • then I export to *.msh

Then I edit the.msh file to add the list of textures (at the end of the file)

And finally I use MeshWizard to assign the right textures to the right groups, and sometimes sort the groups in a certain order. 🥱

Usefull to know : if you convert a *.msh file into a *.an8 file with Meshwizard, once imported into anim8or you must merge all the points (be carefull to set a small "Maximum Merge Distance" as 0.001 m for example)
It's because during the conversion all the points are doubled (sometimes even tripled)

Good luck

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Just reading the above and having used several 3d programs I'd like to say.
First of all for learning the basics it doesn't matter so much which program you use, and Anim8tor is a solid piece of software.
But when it comes to Orbiter it has never been so easy and comfortable as with Blender (and I only recently begrudgingly moved over). There is a brilliant plugin that links Blender directly to your Orbiter Mesh and Tex. folders, does all the left/right stuff, and even set msh flags in Blender, and is literally as easy as one click and you have a msh in Orbiter. If its Orbiter that's the main motivation I'd reccommend taking a look.
And 3d is kinda you like it or you don't, if you find you do I wish you lots of fun on your adventures!

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
But when it comes to Orbiter it has never been so easy and comfortable as with Blender
I never had the courage to start learning Blender (I know anim8or for so long time!) but what you say makes me really want to.

I'll have a look to blender one day.....
You are right - that's what I think - to recommend it...

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So What I do is similar to the tail drawing. But then cut the bottom part of the mesh and then extrude from the top. So it fills in the side.

I wish I could use blender more. I have used it to convert meshes,..... into obj and stl

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I used 3dsmax for years and NEVER wanted to change (I know exactly the feeling of being comfortable with a program), I was forced to, and I really wished I had done so earlier, and yes there's some relearning, but Blender is as good as 3dsmax and no horrendous licencing fees. My only gripe, screen rotate is on the middle mouse button (drives me crazy!).
It solves so many export issues were I used to pull my hair out, and brings the fun back into modelling for Orbiter.

I do suggest trying several different programs and techniques, in 3d there are literally a 1000 ways to skin a cat and one can learn a lot from the different perspectives.

Main thing happy modelling!

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Google for 'blender low poly' or 'game asset' tutorials. I won't vouch for the quality of any of them, but it will give you some ideas on getting started using Blender for that type of work you would do for Orbiter.