Problem Mesh texture not showing on a base object

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
It's always worth testing the very obvious, so forgive me if your response to this is "well obviously I checked that whap!"....

Is the texture called block.dds or Block.dds? Note the capitalisation. I'm pretty sure orbiter is case sensitive in this regard, so the mesh file is looking for block.dds, but if the texture is called Block.dds then it won't find what it's looking for...

Perhaps?

To be frank, I checked AFTER I read your post, but the texture was named correctly.

This is getting weird. How can it be that orb and I, open the same texture and it looks so different? I did not change any settings in photoshop and I opened it the same way I open all the dds files. :shrug:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
save it as, by example, dxt5.
If the texture doesn't use transparency (other than binary), like this texture, it should be saved as DXT1 anyway, to save the video memory space.

fort

Reaction score
Yes, orb.I wanted just to attempt a first and quick approach: to do the experience to recreate the texture with another tool that ddsconverter (2 Elite, I suppose) whatever the output format. But, yes, dxt1 without alpha suits well in the circumstance.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just had a quick play and all is well now.
Made "cube"
Cut to open up a UVmap
Painted Map externally
Refresh UVmap and it "coated" the sides
Export mesh via plugin
Convert UVmap PNG to BMP
USED Dxtex to convert
Files to right folders
OBM to place mesh in own base
Run Orbiter and its shows just fine

Watch out for upper lower case and use only DXTEX to convert.

It might only be a little cube but its the start.

Again thanks so very much for your help.
P.S. tea was heart stew and was loverly

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Still got issues with scale and loads of things to learn about adding detail to UVmap but Thanks to your help I am well on the way.

Not finished by a mile but another mesh which "worked" first time

Now I have to convert all my roads and taxi way to Meshes .....

newoffice.jpg