Mesh Wizard help

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm having a terrible time rotating a mesh. In the attached picture, you can see my mesh is slightly offset, and needs a little tweaking. However, rotating the mesh less than .5 degrees results in nothing happening, and .5 and above results in far too much rotation (see picture #2). The second photo is a .5 degree adjustment.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Attachments

• Z-mesh1.jpg
    Z-mesh1.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 40
  • Z-mesh1a.jpg
    Z-mesh1a.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 29

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm having a terrible time rotating a mesh. In the attached picture, you can see my mesh is slightly offset, and needs a little tweaking. However, rotating the mesh less than .5 degrees results in nothing happening, and .5 and above results in far too much rotation (see picture #2). The second photo is a .5 degree adjustment.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Double check all your setting in Mesh Wizard in the Mesh Workshop, remember you can always reapply the rotation again and again

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Yes, I've checked and rechecked the settings, and gone back through the manual as well.

Currently I'm trying various rotations like 88.75 deg, etc. Hopefully the hit and miss approach will work.

I was hoping there was a simpler solution.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to do?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to do?
What you are looking at there is the end on view of a 40km long mesh. There are circular solar panels at each end and these should line up along the z-axis. From the picture n0mad23 attached you can see that they are slightly offset in the y-axis.

n0mad23, from your picture and what I know about the scale of the mesh, the solar panels are offset by about 1m in the y-axis so the rotation required about the x-axis is only:

arctan(1/40000) = 0.001432° or 0°0'5.16"

Does anyone know if MeshWizard can do rotations this small?

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
0'5.16" sounds just about right.

The other problem I'm running into here, is if I try any negative numbers, I get a "Runtime Error 9 - subscript out of range" message and then a CTD.

If Mesh Wizard can't do such small rotations, is it possible to do with Notepad and the mesh file?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
If Mesh Wizard can't do such small rotations, is it possible to do with Notepad and the mesh file?
For such a small rotation about the x-axis, the translation in the z-axis would be negligible. Therefore, if you did it in Notepad it would be sufficient just to subtract 1m (or whatever the required offset is) from the y-coordinate of the vertexes that have z-coordinates in the -20000 region (or +20000 depending on which end is offset from y=0). Are there any vertexes along the length of the cables between the two main structures? If so, they would need to be offset in proportion to their z-axis distance from the non-translated end. This sounds very tedious... :crazy:

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Update:

I've managed to get it close. You're right about Notepad being a tedious way of doing things. The mesh file is just over 5 megs, which translates into a lot of scrolling.

I'm going to move some components around here, as it's now close enough that I'm guessing the individual components are offset rather than the entire mesh.

Wish me luck, gang. This project has caused a lot of headaches, and I won't bore you all with how much time's been wasted chasing solutions that so far have lead nowhere.

Attachments

• Z-mesh1b.jpg
    Z-mesh1b.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 16

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Right, are you sure you need to rotate and not translate?, Also try importing it into gmax, and using their tool to do it.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
At this stage, I'm guessing translate will do the trick. The cables between the two masses look pretty darn straight. Ultimately, I took the original Anim8or file, grouped everything as 1, and then rotated it all by 0.001 degree. It was a guess, as at this scale, everything disappears when looking at the mesh head on. For those looking for Anim8or tips, don't forget to ungroup everything after such an operation.

I can't import it into GMax, unfortunately. GMax crashes every time. Strange, as I can import the .3ds into Blender and AutoCAD2004 without any problem. What happens after that is another story...which is why I was hoping I could fall back into my comfort level and resolve things with MeshWizard. Cheers for a great program, Ar81!

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I need to check the rotation procedure to see if it is a problem of numeric precision.
I love when my software is brought to the limit.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I need to check the rotation procedure to see if it is a problem of numeric precision.
I love when my software is brought to the limit.

I certainly seem to have the touch in challenging vector graphics programs! I think it's all those zer0's - 40000+ makes for serious number crunching.

Still, I'd be lost without the tools that MW provides for projects like mine. Now I'm putting all the pieces back that have slipped from their original positions.

Thanks Pablo.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Numbers are treated one by one, so number crunching based on amount of data is not a problem of precision. Amount of data only affects processing time.

I need to check out how I built the rotation matrix, to see if lack of precision comes from my program or from programming language.

slavek

Reaction score
I have a problem with Mesh Wizard. When I click to load the file and choose MSH me to write an error (run - time error 13: type mismatch). I use this mesh Mesh Wizard [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2740"]Mesh Wizard 1.9d[/ame] and the Orbiter Version : 060929 :compbash2::compbash:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent!

N.

slavek

Reaction score
question

works mesh wizard on Windows Vista? me not

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Meshwizard texturing problem.

Hi ar81,

First let me congratulate you on all your addons and thank you for all the work you have done.

My favourite addon that you have published, is the Meshwizard 1.9d.

I wanted to ask you about a problem i have with viewing the textures used by a mesh.

I've read the manual and followed the tutorials (in which - btw- you've done a great job), but there is something that i haven't managed to do. I cannot see the textures that a mesh uses.

As an example, i will use the B2707.msh from the Wo2001 addon, eventhough this happens to me with anyother mesh i try.

Here is the "procedure" i follow:

1. I find the textures that are used by the mesh (dds format) and use Adobe Photoshop CS3 to "save them as" bmp files. (I make sure that the "dimensions" of the BMPs, in pixels, are powers of 2 - which is what happens anyway when i convert a dds to a bmp).

2. I place those BMP files in my Meshwizard directory, which is also the set folder for the textures files, in the "Settings" of the Meshwizard.

3. I "click" on the "i" button and then on the "Textures" button that comes up with the mesh information tab.

4. I change the "2001/B2707.dds" to "B2707.bmp" in the textures tab, (I hope the pic explains).
meshwizard.jpg

5. I choose a group that uses that texture, (in this case any groups from 14 to 42) and then press the "texture view" button.

At first i thought it was because i didn't press the "eye" (textures visible/invisible) button, but it isn't. The best i can do, is to see the mesh's template but not the texture. (Again, i hope this pic explains)
meshwizard2.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

P.S. I'm running Meshwizard 1.9d on a Windows Vista P.C., where in order to get your program to work, i have to "right-click" on it and press the "run as admin..." selection. But even on my old XP P.C., the same thing was happening.

Hope my post makes sense.

Respectfully,
Dimitris

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
If I remember correctly in the settings you may enter the directory where textures should be read and displayed. Those should be BMP files if I remember correctly, which means you need to convert them and put them there so you can see them. I made this software long ago.