Mexican congress approves space agency

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
20 april 2010.- With the finality of proposing and executing space policies in Mexico, the Mexican Space Agency (Agencia Espacial Mexicana, AEXA) was approved in the Chamber of Deputies by a vote of 280 in favor, 2 against, and 4 abstentions.
Said agency will allow Mexico to form part of the International Space Community, counting with a first-year budget of 10 thousand million pesos (about 820 million dollars).
In this sense, the AEXA will be in charge of promoting the development of space systems and media, as well as infrastructure and technology necessary for the consolidation and autonomy in that sector for the country, with the finality of incorporating other sectors related to this policy, like production.
Article (in Spanish): http://www.elsemanario.com.mx/news/news_display.php?story_id=36802
Site (in Spanish, with an English section): http://www.aexa.tv/

Being from Mexico, I think it's great that we're finally at least getting an official space agency. It's goal for right now is to set up headquarters and offices and determine the launch site. I'd go with the Yucatan peninsula, but they're looking at Hidalgo (an inland state about 60 km from Mexico City) because of it's pre-existing infrastructure. Hopefully they'll be able to design and build some rockets and maybe one day put a man in space indigenously.

Kinda makes me want to get into add-on making!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Interesting, i wonder what will come out of it.

Btw, first thing Google gives on "Mexican space program" is:
1119.jpg

AirSimming

Reaction score
It's great that more and more nations are aiming for space flight. Hopefully more companies like SpaceX would follow as well in future. I think that the space age still has just begun.

Unstung

Reaction score
I hope the American and Russian astronauts like burritos.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
I know most of this has been in jest, but I for one would really like to see something come out of this, even if it is just more Mexican astronauts. One can always hope, can't they?

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
But are the shuttle tortillas hand-made? Maybe we can get some tacos de carne asada on the ISS. That'd be delicious.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
What are gallos de salchichón? Sounds like some weird amalgam of chicken and sausage, which also sounds delicious. Space could definitely benefit from some latin-american cuisine!