Project MGP-1

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Hi all!

Its me again. It's been a long time between projects, but here is my latest one - for all you geezer S.F. fans out there!

MGP1PIC.jpg

Mars Gravity Probe 1 from the 60s movie "Robinson Crusoe on Mars".

There are other versions of this out there but, I built this one from scratch. I used an old set of drawings from Science Fiction Modeler along with stills from the movie as reference.

I haven't modeled the ship exactly as it appears in the movie. For one thing, I think the model shop just spray painted the whole thing yellow! This hides a lot of the detail of the model. One example is that I applied a "crinkled foil" type texture to the fuel tanks to simulate Mylar insulation. To my mind, this makes the ship look more "real".

And, of course, Anim8or doesn't have a Boolean function so I had to work around those areas where such a function would be useful - specifically, the main engine.

Before anyone asks, no, the landers don't separate! Making them as separate vehicles and then docking them to the mother ship would throw off the center of gravity of the entire vehicle and cause a lot of other problems that I just didn't want to deal with. I may, however, release the landers as individual ships at a later date - once I get the main ship done and uploaded.

I should have this done in about a week or so. When finished, I'll upload her at Orbithangar!

Cheers,
KirkUnit

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can use attachments instead of docking ports, if you want to ignore the real situation of unbalanced mass.

I'm guessing there is another lander on the other side of the vessel? If so, you could just not thrust when one lander is missing. If you're going to Mars with two landers, I don't see why you would leave with only one of them.

KirkUnit

Reaction score
You can use attachments instead of docking ports, if you want to ignore the real situation of unbalanced mass.

I'm guessing there is another lander on the other side of the vessel? If so, you could just not thrust when one lander is missing. If you're going to Mars with two landers, I don't see why you would leave with only one of them.

Thanks, I thought of that, but really, in the storyline the landers are more like "lifeboats" and in a successful mission would stay attached to the mother ship. In fact mission control tells the crew not to detach from the space vehicle unless there is no other option.

-KirkUnit