News Michael Bay to shoot "Transformers 3" at the Cape

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
DAMN.... Two comments...

1.) yes after the first 37 seconds, it got stupid....

2.) After the flight director said "Niel, you're go; and you're good for 21 mins.," i thought the LEM was gonna tranform into something cool.....:cool:

EDIT: at 0:26 i could probably pick out every astronaut in that one clip.:lol: Particularly Jim Lovell and Fred Haise in the center

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
Transformers 3: Ruining Spaceflight for the Rest of Us

He already bludgeoned the spaceflight horse to death in Armageddon, he just wanted to go back and kick the rotting corpse a few more times.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But isn't that missing the whole point of fantasy?
I don't think so... I thought the point (or one of the points; it's hard to give art just one point) of fantasy was to not be realistic, with the assumption that reality is either boring or simply a hindrance to the creator's imagination.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think I can reconstruct what's going on there, but it scares the hell out of me...

"Neil, you're now on the far side of the moon"
"Communications loss with Apollo 11 confirmed"
"You got 21 minutes"

So, they lost communication due to loss of line of sight. AFTER landing. They seem to have 21 minutes until communications come back online, i.e. They're not on the dark side of the moon anymore. Did Bay in all seriousness believe that the moon is rotating relative to the surface of the earth?? :blink:

What meaning, then, he thinks "the dark side of the moon" actually has? I sure hope I figured this all wrong from the trailer.

And I was under the assumption that the dark side of the moon would be, I don't know...dark.

Actually, it isn't. It gets regular day/night cicles just like the rest of the moon.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What meaning, then, he thinks "the dark side of the moon" actually has? I sure hope I figured this all wrong from the trailer.
I think they just attached random Apollo dialogue in to make it more spacey, without as much thought for what the dialogue meant as how it sounded. :facepalm:
Actually, it isn't. It gets regular day/night cicles just like the rest of the moon.
So nighttime has a period of daylight on the Moon? :lol:

I think you're thinking of the far side. The dark side is dark, because it's in lunar night.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think you're thinking of the far side. The dark side is dark, because it's in lunar night.

The two terms are usually used synonimously (maybe wrongly so, but it's stuck pretty well). Since we're talking a coms dropout in the scene, I can only assume that they meant the far side when they said the dark side. which would be forgivable, considering how widespread the misconception is (I just found out that it is a misconception after making a double take and googling when I read your post... :blush: )

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
What? I think it's pretty obvious that the mission control guys are just lying to the newscaster about the blackout as an excuse to turn the cameras off for 21 minutes, since the whole reason they sent them there was to investigate the spaceship.

I didn't see the second Transformers movie but I heard it was awful. I was really into Transformers when I was a little kid, so I kinda don't want to ruin it for myself. Was that Unicron, though, at the end? 'Cuz it'd be pretty rad if they brought him back for this one. Maybe I'll see it. As long as they play "The Touch."

But the only half-decent thing Micheal Bay ever did was The Rock, and it doesn't look like he'll recover.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The two terms are usually used synonimously (maybe wrongly so, but it's stuck pretty well). Since we're talking a coms dropout in the scene, I can only assume that they meant the far side when they said the dark side. which would be forgivable, considering how widespread the misconception is (I just found out that it is a misconception after making a double take and googling when I read your post... :blush: )
I was just thinking about Kevon mentioning the dark side being dark, so I thought of the night side. Though the dark side was not even dark in the preview. Or the far side. Did they call it the far side or the dark side? Now I'm confused.

Maybe it's a full Moon and we can say everyone's right. :cheers:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Though the dark side was not even dark in the preview. Or the far side. Did they call it the far side or the dark side? Now I'm confused.

Maybe it's a full Moon and we can say everyone's right. :cheers:
Rather New Moon in my opinion. The title is "The Dark of the Moon" and it's probably related to this:
The Dark of the Moon is traditionally the last three days of the Lunar cycle, immediately preceding the New Moon, and the time when the night sky is notably absent the presence of the Moon. The phrase can also be applied (in terms of roughly 2600 years) to the last portions of The Great Cycle, when the 25,920 year Precessional Cycle is completed, and the Age of Pisces gives way to the Age of Aquarius.
(source)​
If it is the far side, then there wouldn't be dark during the Dark of the Moon. And remember that they don't care in this movie where the Apollo really landed, so it can be the far side.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh, great... I rewatched this lovely piece of space failure, and found more nonsense.

at 1:20, it is clear that the Apollo space suits have those stupid little internal LED lights that are ubiquitous in science fiction because... they illuminate the face of the actor.

It appears that in Micheal Bay's screwed-up worldview of space exploration, Everyone Can See Your Face.

Move over Armageddon. I think we have a new contender for the Worst Space-related Film Ever. Even the teaser trailer disappoints orbinauts. :(

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I think that in the preview, NASA wanted to confuse the public into thinking there was an LOS, but they knew it wasn't. Then the back-room CAPCOM says "You're dark on the walk", I phrase which probably here means "No one else is listening". But that's my interpretation of it. I think it makes the most sense, but either way IT'S A NASA CONSPIRACY!

Kevon Daye

Smoking Crater
Reaction score
You know with the blown out panel on the SM and the debris everywhere at 0:12-0:15 my first thought was that they reused footage from Apollo 13:rofl:

abninf

Reaction score
I REALLY liked the first 37 seconds, other than Michael Bay got the CM of Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 confused (Apollo 11 did not to my knowledge have an entire panel blown out with debris everywhere)

I'm willing to bet it is supposed to be the SIM bay (even though only 15, 16, and 17 had one), and not a blown out panel.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So it's just as much of a fail then. :dry:

Unstung

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet it is supposed to be the SIM bay (even though only 15, 16, and 17 had one), and not a blown out panel.
Just noticed that too now that you mentioned it. I missed a lot of visuals.
Apollo_17_astronaut_Ronald_E._Evans_performs_an_EVA_to_retrieve_film_cassettes_during_the_trans-Earth_coast.jpg

Command Module pilot Ron Evans performs a trans-earth EVA to retrieve film from the Apollo 17 SIM Bay camera