Question Move panels MFD?

talavar

Sedna Pioneere
Reaction score
Im not sure this is feasible, but is it possible to create an MFD that would allow the control panels to be draggable. i know it wounds silly, but here is my dilemma. im currently running Orbiter in dual screen mode. i get a really nice simulation this way, its similar to looking out of the front 2 cockpit windows of a ship. the problem is that i would really like to be able to move the panels all to the left display and the Hud as well if possible. OR, i could use the 2 screens as a window display only, and add a 3rd monitor and slide all controls out to it in MFD's. the MFD's would have to be large, or have multiple MFDs, one for each control, or multiple controls. is this Possible at all? or has someone figured out a way around this already?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There is an externalMFD built into the current version of Orbiter. I've used that to display things like surface MFD on another monitor.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There is an externalMFD built into the current version of Orbiter. I've used that to display things like surface MFD on another monitor.

Either or both of you may be interested in the RemoteMFD project. It allows you to run an MFD* from either a remote computer or on the same computer (since it uses the network for communication).

The initial thread is here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5332

We've come a long way since then, though, and are nearing an alpha release. If you want a more current copy of the source, let me know.

It's written to work on both Linux and Windows.

*Note that it doesn't allow you to run Orbiter MFDs; all MFDs have to be custom-made for this project, unfortunately.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sounds cool. I use Maxivista to turn two laptops into two screens. That way I can have four monitors on my PC. This also allows me to put a multitude of MFD's on remote machines and keep the main screen clear of clutter.

It's a pain to setup though as ExtMFD doesn't seem to track the MFD's in use or location.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sounds cool. I use Maxivista to turn two laptops into two screens. That way I can have four monitors on my PC. This also allows me to put a multitude of MFD's on remote machines and keep the main screen clear of clutter.

It's a pain to setup though as ExtMFD doesn't seem to track the MFD's in use or location.

Yup, that's basically the purpose RemoteMFD serves, although without the added overhead of Maxivista. It's specifically targetted to allow you to use very low-cost laptops as your MFD panels (all of my development is done on a 366Mhz PII). You can also configure how you want things set up, so you just start it and it's there, without having to do any additional per-run setup.