Project Multistage2015 - Development Thread

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
If this shows that the problem is just with TransX, perhaps you should ask the question in that thread where the TransX developers lurk. :idea:

Edit: I just read my own post here again and it sounded sarcastic. I didn't mean it to sound that way. But my advice to ask the TransX developers still stands.

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
that's a really weird issue anyway: I really can't imagine why trans x reads differently ms2 than ms2015... the setup of ms2015 should be at least very very similar: it's a single vehicle, with the same mass, the same amount of fuel and the same engine... I've been thinking about this but I can't see why this is happening... I thought that maybe the inertia tensor of the vehicle is slightly different but that should not interfere in anyway with this... :hmm:

Marg

Reaction score
Seems to be that multistage MFD crashes, when I want to display it. Orbiter R.73 and newest D3D9 (~May12th, 2018)... This new graphic client is huge step forward, because of vessel-vessel shadows and self shadows. I do not know what can cause this - Orbiter or D3D9...
Seems to me that Orbiter 171203 is to blame, inline client also gave CTD.

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I have a simple, possibly stupid question.

I'm working on converting the Delta IV to MS2015 and I'm getting close to being ready for the first release.

The add-on that I'm converting is virii2k's great https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5556. My problem is the interstage. The mesh of the interstage is not supposed to be jettisoned when stage 1/2 separate. I can't find the correct config for this and if I read the documentation, I'm curious if this is possible at all with the Interstage section in the configfile:

Interstages
An interstage can be defined between stages. The
interstage is dropped after previous stage jettison
and before next stage ignition. Up to 9 interstages
can be defined.

Is this possible with MS2015?

Thanks!
:cheers:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What I did for sls was make the interstage part of the first stage

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Usually you need to do minor changes to meshes when converting from other add-ons. On most cases scale and rotation.
There's no way around it, so better include the meshes in your add-on.

On orbiter hangar it says: "Uploaded by"
So you don't need to be the author of everything.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Well, that would bring me to another point; how to merge meshes? No experience with that. Can I just import everything in Anim8or?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have a simple, possibly stupid question.

I'm working on converting the Delta IV to MS2015 and I'm getting close to being ready for the first release.

The add-on that I'm converting is virii2k's great https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5556. My problem is the interstage. The mesh of the interstage is not supposed to be jettisoned when stage 1/2 separate. I can't find the correct config for this and if I read the documentation, I'm curious if this is possible at all with the Interstage section in the configfile:

Is this possible with MS2015?

Thanks!

Hi,
sorry for the late answer. I'm just occasionally on the forum in the last months due to family duties (my family is growing faster and the time for orbiter has vanished).

If I understood it correctly you need the mesh of the interstage to stay there and not to be jettisoned, never, right?

if that is the case, I think there is an easy trick to do it:
page 13 of the docs:
[SEPARATION_XY]
[ADAPTER]

Interstage definition, x is
lower stage, y is upper
stage
It is also possible to have
a payload adapter, defining
x as last stage and y as last
stage+1 or by setting the
following parameters in a
section named Adapter:
meshname, off, height,
diameter, emptymass

If I remember correctly the adapter cannot be jettisoned and will never be, so if you just get the coordinates right you will get what you need without touching the meshes.

Let me know if it works

Fred

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Hi,
sorry for the late answer. I'm just occasionally on the forum in the last months due to family duties (my family is growing faster and the time for orbiter has vanished).

If I understood it correctly you need the mesh of the interstage to stay there and not to be jettisoned, never, right?

if that is the case, I think there is an easy trick to do it:
page 13 of the docs:

If I remember correctly the adapter cannot be jettisoned and will never be, so if you just get the coordinates right you will get what you need without touching the meshes.

Let me know if it works

Fred

Thanks!
This seems to almost work, but the interstage/adapter stays attached to the second stage while it should stay attached to the first stage.

The ADAPTER section looks like this:
[ADAPTER]
MeshName=Delta4/interstage
Diameter=5.100
Height=0.000
EmptyMass=0.000
off=(0.000,0.000,26.800)
Speed=(0.000,0.000,0.000)
Rot_speed=(0.000,0.000,0.000)

Also a quick note on the developer tool. Great work! This makes it so easy to edit!

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks!
This seems to almost work, but the interstage/adapter stays attached to the second stage while it should stay attached to the first stage.

:facepalm: that wasn't clear to me... I thought you meant it to stay attached to the main vehicle. Then there is no other option than to edit the meshes...

I think you can do it also with mesh wizard. If you are patient enough since you are simply adding a part, it is possible to do it even manually on notepad, a bit tedious but not so difficult.

Also a quick note on the developer tool. Great work! This makes it so easy to edit!

Thanks!

I was thinking that I should put my hand on multistage again to solve some bugs and rewrite some code in a much more clear way, and in that case the developer tool will become a separate module, because at the moment is a bit of a show stopper (it was very complicated to build, and I'm reluctant to make changes to the main module because I don't want to dive into the developer tool compatibility).

Relevant to this, do you think as a user that you would need absolutely a full developer tool, or even a live ini editor could be enough for making it work?

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Relevant to this, do you think as a user that you would need absolutely a full developer tool, or even a live ini editor could be enough for making it work?

Thanks!

IMHO something like the developer tool. It makes it so easy to create missions from within the sim.

Let me know which meshes need combined.

For now Delta1stA and interstage.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
(Don't remember if we discussed this before)

A option to change the "heads up" / "heads down" orientation during ascent would be great.
Adding a second orbit command in mid flight gets ignored.

For the shuttle I tried:
225.0 = orbit(280.0,290.7,38,1)

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
(Don't remember if we discussed this before)

A option to change the "heads up" / "heads down" orientation during ascent would be great.
Adding a second orbit command in mid flight gets ignored.

For the shuttle I tried:
225.0 = orbit(280.0,290.7,38,1)

I think you refer to the behaviour of the Inverse command of guidance.
page 21 of docs:

Code:
Inverse() Switches the flight mode from upright to upside down or viceversa Note: its use in the guidance program will not be saved in the scenario file. Therefore if you use it, close the scenario and open it again the rocket will start to roll back to the original mode.

so in your case I guess it would be
Code:
225.0 = inverse()

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I guess it is possible to use this to launch the X-33? I am not sure how the ini would look like as the x-33 is the only vessel.