My first solo plane just crashed...

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Aircraft was a C172 L, registered C-FEAR... which was a popular tongue-in-cheek joke at my flight school... even had a bumper sticker on the pilot-side door that read HAVE NO FEAR. ... I flew my first solo on it back in Fall '09...

4 people dead, including a young woman, commercially-rated pilot who was with 3 other guys on a sightseeing tour around the gorgeous islands around that region about an hour east of Quebec City.

RIP...

For the pictures of what's left of the plane... they had no chance.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Wow, it must be sad to be personally involved with the plane :(

It looks like it came in very hard. I'm not sure if Google got the translation right, but weather is suspected as contributing to the accident?

bwog

Reaction score
Wow, it must be sad to be personally involved with the plane :(

It looks like it came in very hard. I'm not sure if Google got the translation right, but weather is suspected as contributing to the accident?
Google translate is not very good with French, so there's probably a 50-50 chance of that being right.

Sorry about the crash. But there is one good thing I can think of, which is that you weren't in it ;)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm not sure if Google got the translation right, but weather is suspected as contributing to the accident?
It seems to say that the women had a commercial license, been quite competent for this kind of flight, and while there was some weather conditions to consider, none of them were serious.
But, my french is not too good, so someone better confirm this.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Google Translate sucks, as weather was not a factor so far... the plane was coming back for a landing on a small island runway after having taken off 15 minutes earlier, low and slow, maybe with engine issues (it was humid, so did the carburetor iced-over?)... and she landed across a ditch... cartwheeled and burst into flames. One passenger was ejected 200 feet from the airplane.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
maybe one of the other guys switched a switch or something. my parents were on a beach a couple of years ago and a Cessna crashed in the sea, out of nowhere. later investigation said that the photographer hit a button what caused the crash...

anyways, sorry about the crash

mbartley

Reaction score
When I was learning to fly, there were 3 Cessna 152s available which I flew frequently. Two of those later crashed. One was weather-related (the one I soloed in), and the other was an engine failure right after takeoff (and that was my favorite one). Serious injuries in both cases.

Later while I was volunteering in Civil Air Patrol, at least 2 planes based near me got in trouble. One C182 crashed high in the mountains; no survivors. (Search-and-rescue was *always* in the mountains.) One C206 was stolen and later found at a different airport, with all its radios gone.

Aviator

Reaction score
The aircraft i first flew solo in, was 1 hour short of it's 100 hourly maintainence so they reserved it for me. Another student after my solo who had found out that the other planes were not available decided to take the plane anyway even though it was no longer legal to fly.

and what happened? The nosewheel broke off on landing, the prop struck the ground and the aircraft was out of service for around a year. thankfully no one was injured. The plane was a 30 year old AA1B, and a large crack was also found in one of the the rear wheel struts.

Its scary to think how it could have been so different - had i not fluked that greaser landing, it would have been me - and i may not have been so lucky.

I did however get to help put the plane back together during my week of "work experience" at school ^.^ and im happy to say i flew it on a 2 hour navigation excercise flight as part of my ppl training only last friday almost 4 years after the accident with no incident :thumbup:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The aircraft i first flew solo in, was 1 hour short of it's 100 hourly maintainence so they reserved it for me. Another student after my solo who had found out that the other planes were not available decided to take the plane anyway even though it was no longer legal to fly.
Technically, per FAR 91.409(2)(b), if it's not being flown for hire, isn't the 100-hour not required? If the student was just flying solo, then the plane was still legal, I think...

Aviator

Reaction score
well he was a student pilot, (not a ppl) so some instructor in the school would have had to authorise the flight.
I guess thats probably what would define a solo as "hire."

And as well, This is in Australia so maby things are slightly different - we generaly seem to be a couple years behind American legislation with casa often bringing in new laws because "well the FAA did it and it worked there.."

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
well he was a student pilot, (not a ppl) so some instructor in the school would have had to authorise the flight.
I guess thats probably what would define a solo as "hire."

And as well, This is in Australia so maby things are slightly different - we generaly seem to be a couple years behind American legislation with casa often bringing in new laws because "well the FAA did it and it worked there.."
Ah, maybe. In America, it only counts as "for hire" if you get a plane and a pilot together. If you just rent a plane, or if you rent a plane and instructor separately, it's not "for hire" and doesn't need to have a current 100-hour inspection.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
the aircraft in the pictures was regestered as C-FAQ

No, the airplane is C-FEAR ... CFAQ is the abreviation of the flight school, Centre de Formation Aeronautique de Québec (translates to Québec City's Aeronautical Training Center)

cfear.jpg

Registration marks in Canada are always 5 letters long, with C- as the prefix followed by not more, no less than 4 letters, and no numbers.

And just to add, actually aircraft registrations in Canada are either C-Fxxx , C-Gxxx or C-Ixxx ... where I is used for smaller advanced ultralights, and F/G are used for anything else that can leave the ground and come back in a controlled manner...

barcode

Reaction score
The plane I did my first solo in, a Cessna 152, was destroyed in a mid-air collision about two years ago. Apparently it was a control tower screw-up, they instructed him to make a left climbing turn, straight into a Piper Warrior. The Piper landed safely, but the Cessna was destroyed and the only person aboard was killed on impact.

It's strange seeing an aircraft you've flown on the front page of a newspaper.