Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now which one would you sign?

None of them - it is not my business to decide this. My personal opinion is, that he neither does a very good job, nor a very bad job. He is just averaging it all out into a plushy unidentified nothingness.

I think he is sure replaceable and Mike Griffin is sure the last person, who has to fear being unemployed for long. But the question is: Why do that at all?

I think all Mike Griffin needs, is some fire below his injector plate. Let's see how he performs under pressure. Does he excel like the few great administrators of NASA, or does he break? If he can't deal with increasing pressure, can't ride on top of the wave - fire him, for his own good. But if he suddenly shows more than some promise of talents, real talent in such situations, don't be a fool. Such managers have to be kept.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Though I won't sign a petition, I still say "kick the bum out!" Ares was his pet project before bush announced VSE or whatever. He used *cough*abused*cough* his position to get his little project literally on the launch pad (well, almost, but that pun was right out there!) and doesn't want to listen to any alternatives such as Delta IV or Atlas V or even Direct. He has yet to publically say why these systems won't work other than "we have determined they aren't safe" so all we have is his word.
You don't cut the payload to fit its own rocket, you make the rocket fit the payload!

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
I signed to keep him. I think he's very unappreciated and misunderstood. I believe he's been a great administrator and to replace him now would be a huge mistake.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
I think he's very unappreciated and misunderstood. I believe he's been a great administrator and to replace him now would be a huge mistake.

I think so too. Griffin is the right man for the greatest, the most powerful and most successful space agency.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Giffin is out.. Period..

Obama may not know about Direct but he damn sure knows about his crap over the years.

Obama has seen how Ares 1 from the day it was announced changed to what it is now. A VASTLY underpowered and unsafe rocket that MAY be able to go manned sometime middle next decade. That is assuming ANOTHER serious issue has not shown up (About 1-2 per year so far) Obama has seen how because of this we will have to continue flying shuttle at huge cost (They all have to go through serious changes to continue to fly after 2010)

Also Griffin is an example of how the President dumped this crap on NASA and neglected it over 4 years.

He is out. Obama has been paying more attention to NASA than most and this does not bode well for Griffin.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Obama has seen how Ares 1 from the day it was announced changed to what it is now. A VASTLY underpowered and unsafe rocket that MAY be able to go manned sometime middle next decade. That is assuming ANOTHER serious issue has not shown up (About 1-2 per year so far) Obama has seen how because of this we will have to continue flying shuttle at huge cost (They all have to go through serious changes to continue to fly after 2010)

Operating the Space Shuttle beyond 2010 increases the risk by a significant factor, while it also would not make the gap between the Shuttle and Orion any closer. This already has been investigated and concluded by two studies. NASA will have to buy seats on Soyuz. There is no different way. Just professor weisenheimer ideas within blogs and forums.

Also, safe space flight systems do not exist. Each system is unsafe in a way. But if we compare Ares with STS, Ares is going to contain less risks during ascent. But a safe system won't ever exist.