Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
They didn't just find them. They already got 360 degrees footage from surface on one of them. :p :lol:
An astral travel with an astral camera?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm, the star is only 2300K. Isn't that too low spectrally to support photosynthesis?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Hm, the star is only 2300K. Isn't that too low spectrally to support photosynthesis?

That corresponds to a peak emission in the infrared ~1.200 microns. Visible wavelengths are shorter than .700 microns, but there might still be enough emission in the visible red to be usable for photosynthesis. All depends on overall spectral irradiation as to whether there is enough energy to be usable. Plants might grow really, really slowly.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wouldn't the dark (cold) side freeze out a lot of the atmosphere, especially its water?

Depends on the thermodynamics of the planet - for example weather systems. If it has liquid water, can ocean currents distribute enough heat?

Maybe such a planet has not two frozen poles, but just one.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
That corresponds to a peak emission in the infrared ~1.200 microns. Visible wavelengths are shorter than .700 microns, but there might still be enough emission in the visible red to be usable for photosynthesis. All depends on overall spectral irradiation as to whether there is enough energy to be usable. Plants might grow really, really slowly.

I wonder what color could be the hypothetical vegetation. Black?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I wonder what color could be the hypothetical vegetation. Black?

Something like 3% of the star's emission would be in the visible spectrum (vs. ~40% of the sun's emission). The closer proximity would affect the illumination levels, but it would probably still be pretty dim.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
As sorindafabico alluded to, this is a shockingly Kerbal-like system... :shifty:

On a serious matter, I don't think the thread title is fair: "Nasa Finds 7 Rocky planets in 1 star system"

Spitzer was only part of the overall effort. The team was international and included contributions by the Very Large Telescope, etc.

Unstung

Reaction score
A nice JPL graphic showing the diminutive scale of the TRAPPIST-1 system:

PIA21428_hires.jpg

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA21428

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very interesting. I hope the JWST will give more detailed information on this.

We are certainly living an interesting era. A few decades ago exoplanets were in the domain of fantasy or sci-fi. Now not only we know they exist, but that they are very common. Crazy.

Next step is to actually get there. Not for our century I think, but doable. Even if we don't manage to break some laws of physics, a behemoth assembly which can house several generations and a lot of spare parts is still an option.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
We are certainly living an interesting era. A few decades ago exoplanets were in the domain of fantasy or sci-fi. Now not only we know they exist, but that they are very common. Crazy.

True, but sincerely, even decades before the discovery of the first exoplanet, would be strange to think that the Solar System was unique. I know that anthropocentrism dies hard, but... :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It was widely believed exoplanets were common before one was actually confirmed; if anything people were too optimistic about it, especially science fiction writers. Evidence: any episode of Star Trek.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Never thought science fiction writers too optimistic regarding exoplanets. I was sure they were as common as grains of sand.