GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
First pictures of TAG: :hailprobe:
d_tag-2-frames.gif

(yes, it seems the rock at the top was very soft and was crushed)

... and in "slow motion":

The surface looks very soft, and when the gas bottle was fired it looks like it dug a sizeable crater! ?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
maybe it's just a big ball of that stuff...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Success!!! :hailprobe:
resized.gif

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...craft-collects-significant-amount-of-asteroid

The spacecraft captured images of the sample collector head as it moved through several different positions. In reviewing these images, the OSIRIS-REx team noticed both that the head appeared to be full of asteroid particles, and that some of these particles appeared to be escaping slowly from the sample collector, called the Touch-And-Go Sample Acquisition Mechanism (TAGSAM) head. They suspect bits of material are passing through small gaps where a mylar flap – the collector’s “lid” – is slightly wedged open by larger rocks.

“Bennu continues to surprise us with great science and also throwing a few curveballs,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, NASA’s associate administrator for science at the agency’s headquarters in Washington. “And although we may have to move more quickly to stow the sample, it’s not a bad problem to have. We are so excited to see what appears to be an abundant sample that will inspire science for decades beyond this historic moment.”

The team believes it has collected a sufficient sample and is on a path to stow the sample as quickly as possible. They came to this conclusion after comparing images of the empty collector head with Oct. 22 images of the TAGSAM head after the sample collection event.

The images also show that any movement to the spacecraft and the TAGSAM instrument may lead to further sample loss. To preserve the remaining material, the mission team decided to forego the Sample Mass Measurement activity originally scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 24, and canceled a braking burn scheduled for Friday to minimize any acceleration to the spacecraft.

From here, the OSIRIS-Rex team will focus on stowing the sample in the Sample Return Capsule (SRC), where any loose material will be kept safe during the spacecraft’s journey back to Earth

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
NASA is trying to deliver the Bennu samples to the sample return capsule, which will take very long time as OSIRIS-REx captured a kilogram of sample.

A fun thing about OSIRIS-REx is that its carrier rocket, Atlas V, had only one booster at the side instead of two.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Yeah, this is the reason why NASA wants to deliver samples to the sample return capsule as quickly and slowly as possible.

Challenger007

Reaction score
It is very interesting what the results of the soil study from the asteroid will be. What is its chemical composition and in what ratio. I believe this is an important step in space exploration and the development of the space industry.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Good job OSIRIS-REx and NASA! :hailprobe:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Except they don't.

View attachment 35155

No matter how long I leave Orbiter-Forum open, they never show up.
I think they may only work if the user has a twitter account.

I can see them and my former account is burned since it became X.