NASA-STP002x - Mission Blog (A FNG Learns Orbiter)

LTrotsky

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you have been in the military, or watched movies about them, or are generally aware, you know what FNG means. When it comes to Orbiter, that's me.

NASA-STP002x is the Mission name I gave to my first real attempt to get somewhere outside of the Earth's SOI. Not counting the first couple of days when I ran the sim with the "unlimited fuel" and no damage options checked. (Note to self: I need to find out where those buttons are in real life and make sure they are checked).

So, if you are and Orbitnaut, you probably felt a real accomplishment when, maybe following some tutorials or youtubers, you docked at the ISS or made it to the moon, or successfully de-orbited from Earth and landed. I know I did. But I had the haunting suspicion that if I could do those things on limited fuel a week into simming Orbiter, it was probably no big deal.

My first trip to the moon was interesting; I opted for a free return trajectory and used the "transfer" MFD, which is okay for that sort of thing. I was simming with a friend who also found this very interesting, kind of like a co-pilot. The co-pilot at times seemed more excited over our accomplishments than I was. I limited the mission to 8 days, which meant that on the return vessel velocity was over 10km/sec. It takes a bit of fuel to get into a stable orbit at that speed, and have enough left over for a safe re-entry.

The next steps are predictable, landing at BB, downloading a crapload of add-ons, figuring out which work for me, which are stable with each other (most are). But then this nagging feeling came on again: "You must go farther."

The Red Planet was sitting out there, practically mocking me.