Need help with Space Shuttle Ultra

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
I need some type of tutorial of some sort, it doesn't have to be extensive but it has to be where I can have some type of ''checklist'' so to speak like what they have on the NASSP scenarios, it kinda sucks that not all the switches are functional but it seems the closest thing next to NASSP I can find, if anybody has any suggestions on a add-on that's more realistic for the space shuttle be sure to let me know.. thanks for your help

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Kinda sucks we don't get paid to develop it.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
Kinda sucks we don't get paid to develop it.

Yes it does, but isn't there some type of tutorial of some sort? I mean it shouldn't be that hard.. I don't use the CRT MFD module so I don't need to learn that part, just the switches before launch.. I'm fine using the default MFD instruments.. so is there any type of tutorial out there to at least explain the switches and when to use them?

---------- Post added at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

I mean it shouldn't be that hard to make a tutorial, there's already videos on it but the only videos are only part of the scenario or they don't have a mouse cursor visible so I can't see exactly what type flip at certain times

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I don't use the CRT MFD module so I don't need to learn that part, just the switches before launch.. I'm fine using the default MFD instruments...

The shuttle has to be flown with the correct MDU screens.

I believe that some community members are working on video tutorials for SSU but I don't think they have been posted yet. As far as checklists, you need to use the actual NASA checklists available here: NASA FDF

Sounds like you want a less realistic shuttle addon, one that is more 'jump in and go' than SSU. I'm not sure where it is now but Davids Shuttle Fleet addon might be more what you're looking for.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
Well actually I do want it as realistic as possible.. I just mentioned the MFD instruments just in case no one wants to have to learn a whole different set of instruments, I do however want a full working cockpit, which even SSU doesn't have but I'll take my losses.. I prefer not having to download a secondary program just for the space shuttle..

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Hopefully those tutorials will be posted soon.. I can try to learn off youtube videos but 99% of them they don't start from the beginning and the one that does the dude has his cursor disabled in recording so it's hard trying to keep up

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

What exactly do I need to look at on the NASA checklist in order to fly?

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I mean, you do realize that the Space Shuttle is a highly sophisticated, very complex piece of machinery that actually went to space, right? A tutorial that shouldn't be that hard would, in all honesty, take hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of training to complete. Not to mention, the documentation that'd be generated is well beyond the scope of a simple tutorial.

The reason it is easy to construct tutorials for other Orbiter spacecraft is the fact they don't simulate every facet of the vehicle.

Space shuttle operators didn't get their jobs because it was easy. Space is hard.

That being said, and the rant concluded: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/539916main_ASC_134_F_5.pdf

Knock yourself out. If this is too complicated, or not what you want, you can probably follow the checklist SSMS2007 comes with, or use the checklist documentation that comes with SSU. The SSU development team is not filled with novices; they wouldn't provide a product without a manual.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
As far as I know I've seen no SSU manuals, I searched through the folder and found nothing, unless I overlooked it.. is there one? If not I'll try the SSM manual

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Oh nevermind I think I found it

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

I mean, you do realize that the Space Shuttle is a highly sophisticated, very complex piece of machinery that actually went to space, right? A tutorial that shouldn't be that hard would, in all honesty, take hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of training to complete. Not to mention, the documentation that'd be generated is well beyond the scope of a simple tutorial.

The reason it is easy to construct tutorials for other Orbiter spacecraft is the fact they don't simulate every facet of the vehicle.

Space shuttle operators didn't get their jobs because it was easy. Space is hard.

That being said, and the rant concluded: https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/539916main_ASC_134_F_5.pdf

Knock yourself out. If this is too complicated, or not what you want, you can probably follow the checklist SSMS2007 comes with, or use the checklist documentation that comes with SSU. The SSU development team is not filled with novices; they wouldn't provide a product without a manual.

In case anyone needs a manual for SSU, search folder for SSU Ops Manual V4.2

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

Scratch that, nothing to do with a checklist

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Scratch that, nothing to do with a checklist

Then just use the checklists provided by NASA that have been previously mentioned. They should work just the same as any SSU document would; especially since it is the space shuttle. It's cooler that way anyhow. How badass is it to flip through NASA documents? Pretty badass, I say. Badass, indeed.

Just for my own sanity's sake, I remember SSU 2.0 having a launch and on-orbit checklist included with the add-on files.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
There is a manual included to tell the user how to operate the various controls (which key does what), what are the current limitations, and how to configure the vehicle. Granted it's not as complete as I'd like, but it should give people enough info to start.
As for checklists, IMO it doesn't make a lot of sense to "inflate" the addon with tons of checklists that are freely available at NASA websites.
We do have some documentation available in our repository (the link for that, and the NASA checklists, is in the manual), that provides background info on how the shuttle works... errmm, worked :(. The SCOM provides general info on the vehicle, and the DPS Dictionary provides info on the displays. As SSU is still missing tons of stuff, there isn't a need to read the whole documentation. Starting with the manual, and then going after more info on what is mentioned there is probably a good strategy.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Sounds like you just want to kick the tires and light the fires, I would stay away from SSU if I was you ;) .

Shuttle fleet will be more your speed but it still uses some of the displays found in the real thing and will require some study.

Other than that, the default shuttle is about as basic as it gets but will still will require a certain level of knowledge.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
If I can do NASSP I know I can do SSU, I'll look into the manuals repository or whatever it's called.. personally I want it as realistic as possible, that's why I run Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) and plan on getting Falcon 4 BMS 4.33 and FSX in the coming months

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

There is a manual included to tell the user how to operate the various controls (which key does what), what are the current limitations, and how to configure the vehicle. Granted it's not as complete as I'd like, but it should give people enough info to start.
As for checklists, IMO it doesn't make a lot of sense to "inflate" the addon with tons of checklists that are freely available at NASA websites.
We do have some documentation available in our repository (the link for that, and the NASA checklists, is in the manual), that provides background info on how the shuttle works... errmm, worked :(. The SCOM provides general info on the vehicle, and the DPS Dictionary provides info on the displays. As SSU is still missing tons of stuff, there isn't a need to read the whole documentation. Starting with the manual, and then going after more info on what is mentioned there is probably a good strategy.

The NASA ascent checklist, do I start from the beginning? because I know that some of the switches do not function and I'm sure I'll have to skip over them

Thorsten

Reaction score
personally I want it as realistic as possible, that's why I (...) plan on getting (...) FSX in the coming months

Sorry to say so, but FSX isn't really the epitome of realistic flight dynamics and I suspect you may have to invest in plenty of payware addons to make it so.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
I truly think you should make a SSU checklist MFD just like Project Apollo.. the way NASA words things is not exactly the clearest..

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Sorry to say so, but FSX isn't really the epitome of realistic flight dynamics and I suspect you may have to invest in plenty of payware addons to make it so.

Not a big deal really.. there's not many high end flight simulators out there, DCS and Falcon 4 seem to be top notch, and I plan on getting some addons for FSX in order to make it more realistic, the point I'm making is I can handle SSU with a checklist, NASA's checklist is more complex than it has to be, NASSP has a checklist AND a flashing marker which makes things pretty straight forward

Thorsten

Reaction score
*shrugs*

Not every developer believes in a 'now click the switch flashing in red' type of approach. What do you really learn by that anyway?

I'm quite certain that if you understand what the NASA checklist is supposed to achieve, you can fly SSU. If you like realistic, you need to read up a lot on how things work - they didn't do a few hours crash courses and then put people into the Shuttle cockpit after all.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
*shrugs*

Not every developer believes in a 'now click the switch flashing in red' type of approach. What do you really learn by that anyway?

I'm quite certain that if you understand what the NASA checklist is supposed to achieve, you can fly SSU. If you like realistic, you need to read up a lot on how things work - they didn't do a few hours crash courses and then put people into the Shuttle cockpit after all.

Well, since some switches are not clickable in SSU I don't understand how the checklist from NASA will be in sync with SSU, if the switch doesn't work do I just skip that part of the checklist?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well, since some switches are not clickable in SSU I don't understand how the checklist from NASA will be in sync with SSU, if the switch doesn't work do I just skip that part of the checklist?

Yep. I promise you: it won't explode. :lol:
We have tons of stuff missing, but I think what we have is +/- accurate, so following a checklist should work.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
Yep. I promise you: it won't explode. :lol:
We have tons of stuff missing, but I think what we have is +/- accurate, so following a checklist should work.

Have others followed the same checklist with success?

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
Alright, it it's hard to find certain panels going off the letters and numbers, did you not make some panels with identification codes on them?