Need help with Space Shuttle Ultra

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Alright, it it's hard to find certain panels going off the letters and numbers, did you not make some panels with identification codes on them?

I think most, if not all, panels in the real shuttle had an visible ID, but in SSU some IDs are not visible for whatever reason. Anyway, in the SSU manual there is a diagram with the panel ID system, so you know where is what panel.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
I think most, if not all, panels in the real shuttle had an visible ID, but in SSU some IDs are not visible for whatever reason. Anyway, in the SSU manual there is a diagram with the panel ID system, so you know where is what panel.

Alright thanks, problem resolved:thumbup:

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Just a question regarding SSU: I never tried it but it seems to be really complicated. Is it possible to f*ck things up so badly that the whole machine gets unflyable?
Like: "Whoops, wrong button."
*Baydoor opens and closes repeatedly, Orbiter starts to spin, cabin decompresses*

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Just a question regarding SSU: I never tried it but it seems to be really complicated. Is it possible to f*ck things up so badly that the whole machine gets unflyable?
Like: "Whoops, wrong button."
*Baydoor opens and closes repeatedly, Orbiter starts to spin, cabin decompresses*

SSU is not quite at that point of development. But you can get into an unusable state if you improvise too much. My advise is to take time to learn what is working in SSU and what isn't. Then, take some time reading about the working systems in the SCOM. Sit the the cockpit and practice locating specific panels, once you become familiar with the coding system you will have no problem finding switch locations.

Something to remember is that SSU is being developed with the philosophy and getting the most important systems simulated first (and most likely just a crude facsimile of the systems at first). Everything that is currently working isn't quite complete yet but are something to get going with.

If you spend any time reading the Dev threads you will see that some of the biggest hurdles are the most fundamental (you can't have system C without system B and A and you can't have A without system G, but system G needs system B, but there isn't enough documentation for B. And also you need system D but there are limitations with Orbiter itself.... and so on).

What is amazing is that it is now to a point of development that a "full" mission can be flown. SSU has come a long way from 'Space Shuttle Deluxe' even if it has take a few years :cheers:

Gingin

Reaction score
I confirm, full mission is flyable following official check list (we just have to omit the switches that are not working, and it's a good way to know how the real shuttle works), and a bit of patience, and motivation to read about official stuff.
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=38308

Even if some switches are missing, some very important systems are modelized, and more important, main OPS GNC ( ascent orbit entry) are very well tuned.
So you can really rely on official documentation, especially for normal operations, Ascent, Orbit adjustement, Rendez vous, Entry , TAEM, Landing.

It's an add on that is time consuming. You have some background to acquire, but it's really rewarding.
Just the fact to achieve a circular orbit and use correctly the onboard computer procure an amazing feeling :)

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The NASA ascent checklist, do I start from the beginning? because I know that some of the switches do not function and I'm sure I'll have to skip over them

At worst, you just press each non-functioning button and make a *click* sound effect. As long as you stay on procedure, pretending to make the non-working buttons do stuff should at least inspire some kind of confidence in you.

Sorry to say so, but FSX isn't really the epitome of realistic flight dynamics and I suspect you may have to invest in plenty of payware addons to make it so.

Yeah, I know people who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to get FSX up to any kind of real standard. It's a great simulator! It just misses the mark as the best. Honestly, if I had a rig worth its weight in gold, I'd be running Xplane. All that sweet adherence to shape, and forces simulation.

Well, since some switches are not clickable in SSU I don't understand how the checklist from NASA will be in sync with SSU, if the switch doesn't work do I just skip that part of the checklist?

It's in sync, you just can't click those buttons. Just pretend to click them, then go to the next part of the checklist. Eventually, you'll come to some buttons that function. You're still learning, and checking systems that the shuttle crew would have checked.

Thorsten

Reaction score
All that sweet adherence to shape, and forces simulation.

I have an opinion about the accuracy of that as well (to my knowledge, X-plane never got an FAA certified simulation running anywhere, which is kind of the gold standard for accuracy) but that's leading too far off the thread - if you're interested in my take on blade element theory, feel free to bring up the question elsewhere.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I remember when I went for an inspection, on my van. I knew the horn wasn't working, so when the mechanic told me to sound the horn. I yelled. "BEEP!!!". He passed it.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
I remember when I went for an inspection, on my van. I knew the horn wasn't working, so when the mechanic told me to sound the horn. I yelled. "BEEP!!!". He passed it.

EPIC :rofl:

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Can anybody tell me if this simulation has a more functioning cockpit and if not, what is the realism using it compared to SSU?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if this simulation has a more functioning cockpit and if not, what is the realism using it compared to SSU?
Nope, SSU is pretty much it.

Last edited:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[/COLOR]Can anybody tell me if this simulation has a more functioning cockpit and if not, what is the realism using it compared to SSU?

Xplane's space shuttle isn't there for the accuracy of the STS, but more of a proving tool for the system on an aerodynamic level. Basically, it's eye candy to prove Xplane can do that kind of simulation.

Gingin

Reaction score
I don't use the CRT MFD module so I don't need to learn that part, just the switches before launch.. I'm fine using the default MFD instrumentsWell actually(.....)I do want it as realistic as possible.. I just mentioned the MFD instruments just in case no one wants to have to learn a whole different set of instruments, I do however want a full working cockpit, which even SSU doesn't have but I'll take my losses..

If you want something as realistic as possible, you have to understand and use the inboard MFD ( CRT) and computer (GPC).
It's the core of the Space Shuttle. For example, you can't neither use generic MFD to fire the OMS in Orbit, nor fire them manually.

Maybe you will enjoy more SSMS 2007, as you will have some visual tips on which switches you have to click on and a full cockpit modelized. However, you will still have to do some research in official documentation to know why you have to click on this particular switch at a particuliar time. It's useless to click just because you are told to click.

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
If you want something as realistic as possible, you have to understand and use the inboard MFD ( CRT) and computer (GPC).
It's the core of the Space Shuttle. For example, you can't neither use generic MFD to fire the OMS in Orbit, nor fire them manually.

Maybe you will enjoy more SSMS 2007, as you will have some visual tips on which switches you have to click on and a full cockpit modelized. However, you will still have to do some research in official documentation to know why you have to click on this particular switch at a particuliar time. It's useless to click just because you are told to click.

Well clicking where you are told is the first step, then once you master that it's good to learn why, but the why doesn't really matter to be honest.. as long as you know what to do after you click it, there's only mental benefits to understanding it

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well clicking where you are told is the first step, then once you master that it's good to learn why, but the why doesn't really matter to be honest.. as long as you know what to do after you click it, there's only mental benefits to understanding it

I think you should reconsider the validity of this line of reasoning.

The "why" and "what happens" are interconnected, and without understanding the theory behind flicking the switch you're being told to flick, you just might break something. Especially when your eyes wander ever-so-slightly down a few lines. Checklists are written in a sequence because the "why"s of a sequence are important.

It's why we use astronauts instead of monkeys. Monkeys can't troubleshoot.

Thorsten

Reaction score

That's perhaps true in a simple kind of simulations where things never go wrong, where instruments always show simulated truth and where equipment always works.

It's certainly not true in a realistic simulation.

Simple example - you get an engine warning light. What you should do depends on, well, whether the engine is actually out, or whether the warning light shows wrong. Whether the engine is actually out you can try to determine by looking at the accelerometer - if you know where to find it and what it's supposed to currently show during a nominal ascent.

Such a situation you can not handle correctly without knowing what acceleration you can expect during a nominal launch.

Another example worked out in greater detail: See me working through an electrical bus failure, first trying to determine what the fault is, and then, based on that knowledge, what to do.

In this case, a wrong diagnosis of the situation combined with mindless switch-flicking could leave you without power - or blow a fuel cell.

Well, perhaps you should re-consider whether you really enjoy realistic simulations...

Gingin

Reaction score
as long as you know what to do after you click it, there's only mental benefits to understanding it

Well, it's a weird point of view for someone who is seeking for realism :)
Mental benefit is as important as clicking for realism.

You are not curious to know why you have to click on this or that switch? How work Electric system in Shuttle or Appolo Spacecraft? What are the differences between the Shuttle APU and Normal plane APU? Why you have to click on dozens of switch to start one APU? :)

ItaLiaNKiinG

Reaction score
Well, it's a weird point of view for someone who is seeking for realism :)
Mental benefit is as important as clicking for realism.

You are not curious to know why you have to click on this or that switch? How work Electric system in Shuttle or Appolo Spacecraft? What are the differences between the Shuttle APU and Normal plane APU? Why you have to click on dozens of switch to start one APU? :)

I am interested in understanding what each switch means.. but for right now that comes after I learn the steps.. I don't want to have to understand them as I go, I'd rather learn which ones I need to switch first, then after I master that, understand what they actually do.. along with all the other parts of the spacecraft/aircraft.. I'm flying the A-10C Warthog in DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) right now and it's amazing even though I don't know what all the switches do.. lol

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am interested in understanding what each switch means.. but for right now that comes after I learn the steps.. I don't want to have to understand them as I go, I'd rather learn which ones I need to switch first, then after I master that, understand what they actually do.. along with all the other parts of the spacecraft/aircraft.. I'm flying the A-10C Warthog in DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) right now and it's amazing even though I don't know what all the switches do.. lol

Yeah, I can understand that.

Switches don't mean a god damned thing when you're in charge of an A-10. It's just sweet, sweet BRRRRRRRRT

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

You mean memorize, not master.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You mean memorize, not master.
To be fair, it's both. You need to memorize the actual switch locations, but master the actual systems behind them.