Need some help to make sure I don' get arrested lol

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any info about rules and regulations related to miniature rockets, backyard rockets whatever you want to call them in VIC, Australia.

Thanks in advance, Darren.

PriestLizard

Reaction score
I dont know anything about it but I'd suggest you go ask the police itself, or your lawyer, or (if possible) your local rocketry club. I strongly suggest you dont rely on information you get on a forum when it comes to the possibility of being arrested. :D

GL

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It does vary from state to state, but your best bet is to ask local model rocket clubs.

Most would have the information needed. They are also in a better position to help you. They would also have meets so that you can talk to people and look at their rockets.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Nvm found my answer.
"VICTORIA - Model rocket motors come under the classification of "general use fireworks" this allows persons to purchase and launch any model rocket motor with less than 62.5g of propellant. You do not need to be a member of a club to do this.

Any model rocket motor with more than 62.5g of propellant is available to certifed members of any rocketry club there are no pemits needed "
From Australian Rocketry Club forums.

Darren

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
In the US there is limits on altitude and rocket grade before you have to contact the FAA about the flight. Also, best you launch in private property or somewhere you've been allowed.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well if we look at the geography Australia seems perfect for backyard rocket activities... A lot of clear land, a very low population density... It's a little like Canada or Russia.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
probably depends on where you are though, as "empty" as Australia seems, there's still plenty of people in some areas! hahaha

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
probably depends on where you are though, as "empty" as Australia seems, there's still plenty of people in some areas! hahaha
Probably because the entire population is packed around the coast, no one wants to live in a dessert (unless you want to launch big rockets). :lol:

Darren

Edit: I've got a pretty big park near my house that usually has very little if any people there, I'm sure that'll be fine. Anyone reccomend a good starter set, is there a good one that includes a rocket and a few engines?

Edit2: This is pretty expensive $15-20 for a single engine, is it like that everywhere else?

Edit3: Would I be better off building my own rocket from purchased parts or would it be cheaper to just buy one?

Edit4: Are multiple stage rockets possible or is that really reserved for high powered rockets? (I should stop asking more questions :lol: )

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
See if you can find an Estes level 1 Starter kit. Level 1 kits require very little effort to put together and the starter kits include the launcher (pad and controller) as well as supplies (engines, igniters and recovery wadding) for three launches. All you need to do is construct the rocket, put some batteries in the controller and you're good to go. At least here in Canada, such kits usually cost around $30 - $40 depending on the size of the rocket (some are more basic than others).

Probably because the entire population is packed around the coast, no one wants to live in a dessert (unless you want to launch big rockets). :lol:

Darren

Edit: I've got a pretty big park near my house that usually has very little if any people there, I'm sure that'll be fine. Anyone reccomend a good starter set, is there a good one that includes a rocket and a few engines?

Edit2: This is pretty expensive $15-20 for a single engine, is it like that everywhere else?

Edit3: Would I be better off building my own rocket from purchased parts or would it be cheaper to just buy one?

Edit4: Are multiple stage rockets possible or is that really reserved for high powered rockets? (I should stop asking more questions :lol: )

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Do not launch anything until you get the proper clearences. Just because the park is big and seems to be empty doesn't mean that it is. You wouldn't want to injure someone just because you thought the park was empty and it wasn't.

PLEASE check with both your local rocket club and the local police service before you do anything like this.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I've been thinking rockets are probably a bit to expensive anyway so I'm probably going to get into something a bit more interactive like RC planes, I already have a ~$300 simulator. :lol:

Darren