New Orbiter development screenshots

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh boy, lunar missions are going to be so much more exciting.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Same here, but my notebook also comes with a 750 GB HDD... what ever Martins alacrity might produce in the next months, my hardware will execute it.

I feel that if someone manages to map Earth with level err... 20 textures, plus hi-res elevation maps, that's going to take quite a lot of disk space ! :yes:

I don't even speak of the Moon and Mars. We could possiblity break the bonds of sanity there ! :)

I say : count in Terabytes guys ! :lol:

Loading all those textures in real time without freezes might prove to be a challenge, too :p

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is absolutely unbelievably wonderful!!!

I'm just noticing how much our imagination can work: when I play with orbiter 2010 I just feel I'm there and that it is realistic and amazing. Then I see this and I wonder how could it seem to me so realistic... well imagination was filling the gaps :yes:

and from next version I'll have most of the brain concentrated in orbiting and not filling the gaps cause it's amazingly realistic!

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ohhh dear ...
This is amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on it, and can't wait to have D3D9 to get those upgrades so I can enjoy the best effing space sunsets EVAH.

:love: :10sign: :love:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think for Orbiter, this could also be done in the hundreds of GB range - contrary to most geodata services, Orbiter does not need raw terrain data or raw satellite images. It can compress the data quite a lot, especially if some losses in accuracy are tolerable. If you don't need 5 cm accuracy far away from an spaceport, you could also work well with much lower terrain data standards. And if the terrain is mostly flat, even kilometers between each grid point would not be visible - you mostly need high accuracy for rugged terrain.

Its a game after all.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Looks to me from the pictures as if a future version of Orbiter will be competitive with standard flight simulators in its own right, like flight gear or even X-plane. At least from a graphics standpoint.

Perhaps it's time for a name change...

Orbiter and Flyer 2015?

Obunga

Reaction score
Oh wow...that looks amazing! The new version is going to be so awesome!

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Who's up for racing XRs through the Grand Canyon?
:jiggy:

Actually, I'd rather do it through the Valley of the Mariners on Mars. :)

'course my Lunar Station would look REALLY impressive with a hi-def moon behind it... My hardware does 10 FPS right now... with a higher resolution moon... I'd be lucky to get 1 FPS... but still shots would be mighty impressive.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
First of all, I apologize if this seems a adulatory comment.

Orbiter is a wonderful and epic simulator. I have not yet tried the beta, because I have not even finished exploring Orbiter 2010, each time I use it I discover something new, it's amazing (I just have now learned how go into Earth orbit).

His work is great and it's really a gift deserved to science and all the curious who want to go into space without spending millions of dollars. The effort actually looks behind Orbiter to get realistic and beautiful.

Best regards.
:tiphat:

NextBigLeap

Reaction score
Cant believe how awesome that looks. Thank you Martin for your dedication to such a fantastic program, we all here on orbiter forum really appreciate your hard work.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you Martin: that is AWESOME!!
I reckon the amount of CFIT accidents (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) will dramatically increase in 2015 (we'll be too busy staring at the ground instead of Flying our spaceships..) :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thank you Martin: that is AWESOME!!
I reckon the amount of CFIT accidents (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) will dramatically increase in 2015 (we'll be too busy staring at the ground instead of Flying our spaceships..) :rofl:

Rather: You will see white hot fireballs colliding into the walls of some narrow canyon, when people are trying to break the speed record.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Solar System Simulator". Don't be shy :lol:

That I like :lol:

Orbiter Solar System Simulator <insert year>

It is really impressive work, but Im not sure it quite matches up to actual flight simulators, especially in the areas of internal physics and aerodynamics. Those areas are very advanced in actual flight simulators, whereas Orbiter has to contend with a whole different set of issues related to spaceflight simulation.

The graphics are all world though, just compare it alongside poor old celestia, and the relative difference is staggering.

Proximus

Reaction score
Wow, just wow.
In Martin we trust.
Thank you for all your efforts :hailprobe: