New project idea... but first, some questions

HarvesteR

Reaction score
hello...

i've been playing Orbiter on and off for quite a while now... and lately i've been thinking of making an addon ship for it...

well not a ship per se, but more of a ship "add-on" add-on
the idea is to make a 'booster ring' for the stock delta glider, like the one seen on Star WArs Episode 2 or 3, i can't really remember which...

my initial idea was to make the whole jedi starfighter, with it's original booster ring, but then i figured, i mostly fly the delta glider, and it's such a nice ship and all, that i decided to make a custom ring for it... plus it's more fun and creative that way ;)

so here's my questions...

i've never made an addon for orbiter before, but i'm no stranger to modding other games and sims... but i could use some good tutorials on how to export to orbiter, how to get animations running and, you know... the whole deal

also, i need to know beforehand if the only way to dock the craft is through it's docking port, or is there a way to make it attach to something without having to, in this case, open the nose cone... i want the glider to be attached to the ring by it's wingtips

another thing... is there a way to link the controls of the DG to the ring, so you don't have to switch ships once attached? (i worry because i want to keep the original 3D cockpit)

and last but certainly not least... has anything similar ever been created?? if so, that would kinda ruin the whole point now, wouldn't it?

i hope i didn't blabber on too much

Cheers :cheers:

HarvesteR

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
i've never made an addon for orbiter before, but i'm no stranger to modding other games and sims... but i could use some good tutorials on how to export to orbiter, how to get animations running and, you know... the whole deal

Start with the orbiterSDK manuals, especially the API Guide, and after reading this, fill the remaining questions by using one of the many tutorials, ar81 will post in the next 60 minutes. He has made a lot of them, and usually does not miss a chance to point people to them.

If you have a mathematical or technical background (university or a better highschool), Orbiter should be no problem, you just need some mind power to learn to calculate in left-hand notation.

also, i need to know beforehand if the only way to dock the craft is through it's docking port, or is there a way to make it attach to something without having to, in this case, open the nose cone... i want the glider to be attached to the ring by it's wingtips

Use the docking port, as the standard DG does not have a child->parent attachment. Modding the DG would not be too complicated, but I think, in your case, this is something you can do in the next version of the Ring. Start simple and primitive and learn to make even more awesome stuff later.

another thing... is there a way to link the controls of the DG to the ring, so you don't have to switch ships once attached? (i worry because i want to keep the original 3D cockpit)

You could write a MFD. You would need to learn C++ for that, but it is not really hard to make a MFD. You can learn to do that in only one hour, after you learned to code in C++ (which takes about one week for a simple start). Or use a remote control tool, there are some around already.

and last but certainly not least... has anything similar ever been created?? if so, that would kinda ruin the whole point now, wouldn't it?

Not really, but why ruins it your fun? Every add-on developer has his own style to create something, which is sometimes giving players a great variety.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Kulch's Delta Tug seems to do quite a bit of what you want, though of course it's not shaped like a ring.

I think this could work fairly simply using Velcro Rockets. Given that you want the virtual cockpit and aero controls on the DG to work, you'll have to use a parallel mode. Actually, the CROSSFEED mode, like the drop tanks in the Velcro Rockets example scenario, might work best. The DG's engines would also be burning, but they'd be replenished by the fuel tanks in the ring. And the ring would have engines of its own.
So, I think that wouldn't be too hard a starter project. Just mesh a ring, and work with the .cfg file a bit....

HarvesteR

Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies guys... and for assuring me it's feasible :speakcool:

i'll begin working out a few sketches of what i want the ring to look like... then i'll make a mesh... meanwhile i'll read up on the SDK and some tutorials

and yes, i might make an MFD to act as a 'control panel' for the Ring... i want to be able to lauch as usual, then 'dock' at the ring as if it were a space station, then link up it's engines and fire off to some distant planet :)

if i remember correctly, there was an addon MFD made for those hyper-fast crafts, that just gave you the exact bearing of any point in space, and you could just point at it and go...

if this works out, it'll be so neat... like Star Wars meets NASA or something :p

ahh one more question... do you think it's possible or at least easy enough to implement a 'docking' animation?? i want to have some connecting arms that clamp on the DG once it's attached... i think this would be the only animation... i mean... it's a ring... what more can it do? :p

cheers guys

HarvesteR

-----Posted Added-----

What games have you modded BTW?

ahh, you posted when i was writing...

i have made the Full Throttle bike for GTA:San Andreas (never posted it for some reason) and many models for The Sims (way back when i actually played it :p )

and The 737 Experience for FS2004, along with my brother Moach

Cheers

HarvesteR

Reaction score
i have another question... (too many already?)

i started work on the Ring mesh... and i'm using an imported DG mesh for reference... and i'm wondering what is the proper unit calibration setting for Orbiter export... like 1 unit = 1 meter... or 10cm...

at the moment i have it set at 1 unit = 1 meter... but i better make these corrections before the mesh gets too complicated and hard to properly scale

i'll post some pics when it starts to look like something ;)

Cheers

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Hi again...

just thought i'd post a progress pic of my work... but for the sake of being on-topic, i made a new thread for it in the Addon Development Forum

let me know what you think