Project New textures for the Arrow, XR2, XR5, DGIV, and Deepstar.

The Void

Workin hard on my next project
Reaction score
I need opinions of my textures that I'm making for the Arrow. I'm currently working on three the third is not quite started but the first two are.

So what I want is an opinion of my first 2 about which one to use or if I should keep working on both. They are only half way done and will have a lot more colors and stuff added to them. Which ever one the people want will be the one that gets used.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled.png

Last edited:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Not looking to bad Void. I'll just turn the brightness up on my monitor. :lol:
Quite original and it's certainly a stricking colour you got her spray'd with.
It's difficult to say which one without viewing all three, at the near complete stage. But there's not alot of variety for the Arrow at the moment so it's good to see a new set in development.

Last edited:

The Void

Reaction score
:thankyou: At the current time the third ones color scheme is based of the Koenigsegg CCXR special edition red and black I showed you I actually figured out what I wanted it to say. So imagine the same scheme as the other two but the base color is gray with red highlights and where it said UCGO Arrow Freighter it's the Koenigesegg symbol and using script font or commonly called cursive it says Koenigsegg underneath . Where the 18 was it now reads in same font
Arrow
CCXR
Special Edition

(fun fact!!: the cars symbol is actually the Koenigsegg family crest)

On another note I use Paint.Net and my textures use the weave pattern
the using two colors the primary being the small lines that create the weave look and the secondary being the main color you see of the pattern. The texture theme is yep you guessed it Carbon Fiber but for safety's sake since you would die from reentry by being cooked I'm calling it carbon carbon (the composite material on the leading edges of the Space Shuttle wings).

If someones up to maybe they can make a UCGO cargo containing the CCXR and making the car fully UMMU compatible and repackable but that will most likely come later as it is a complex car to make. :)

Also when I learn to use the 3d programs I will be making my own vessels. So look forward to that cause I have some really amazing concepts on paper but suck at using 3d programs :facepalm:

---------- Post added 06-26-11 at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-25-11 at 11:32 AM ----------

Here is the XR5 in flight on earth with the new texture.

XR5.png

I was flying with the main engines at about 5% and using hovers then I cut off hovers and started going into dive when I accidentally opened the radiator instead of the scrams and the radiators got stuck when I throttled up the mains and kicked in the scrams. :facepalm:

Due to focusing on a good shot of the vessel leaving the atmosphere I failed to reduce speed and ended up breaching the upper hull and mach 2.8 :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Here is the XR2 I decided to push this one to it's to get a screen shot of the new skin and the heat effects of going beyond it's recommended speed.

It unlike the XR2 breached on the front nose the second after I captured the shot i wanted.

XR2.png

Neither one is finished all the need is a livery of some sort and then I will work on the bottoms at a later time when I finish the Arrow and Deepstar.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

XR5inorbit.png

All that's left is the livery for the XR5 and she will be done and ready for use.

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
If you're after any critique, then perhaps tone the pattern down - basically so you don't get that strobing / shimmering effect (that weave is probably not the best choice for a texture, graphically speaking, though antialiasing and / or texture filtering should reduce that) reducing the weave layers opacity to maybe less than 50% should help, but still leave noticable pattern. Also perhaps think about drawing new panel lines on the XR2. I think they're a little too easy to recognise as the wireframe of the model. (and i'm the guy who built the 3d model and painted the XR2 so maybe i recognise it a little easier than some, but even so)

Take it or leave it, its just my 2p, Thanks for sharing your work.

The Void

Reaction score
If you're after any critique, then perhaps tone the pattern down - basically so you don't get that strobing / shimmering effect (that weave is probably not the best choice for a texture, graphically speaking, though antialiasing and / or texture filtering should reduce that) reducing the weave layers opacity to maybe less than 50% should help, but still leave noticable pattern. Also perhaps think about drawing new panel lines on the XR2. I think they're a little too easy to recognise as the wireframe of the model. (and i'm the guy who built the 3d model and painted the XR2 so maybe i recognise it a little easier than some, but even so)

Take it or leave it, its just my 2p, Thanks for sharing your work.

Thnaks for your input that's kinda what i was looking for I'm still getting used to the programs again since the 3 years of not touching a computer I have lost my touch as far as using the program and I was trying to figure out how to make it look nice. So again thanks for the input I'm going to fix it now and it will look better when I'm finished.

Also I know it's off topic here but do you have a layered bottom hull for the XR2?

The Void

Reaction score
Thought I'd update you guys on my XR5 re-skin project since I'm going no where with fixing previous textures so they look more uniform so I've decided to start fresh and this is what is to come there will be some minor changes like the XR5 on the wing (forgot to replace it with "Jamaica") and the flaps or aelerions or what wat ever you call em weren't supposed to be multicolored. Will have it finished tomorrow :)

The Void

Untitled-2.png

Also I need a favor, I have a picture and need the surrounding colors transparent who can help me?

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Also I know it's off topic here but do you have a layered bottom hull for the XR2?

Simple answer, no.

As for your q, if you're using photoshop then explore 'blend if' - google it. You can also just erase uneeded areas by hand, make colour based selections and so on and these are universal to any decent image editor.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
Also I need a favor, I have a picture and need the surrounding colors transparent who can help me?

If you need assistance, pm me.

Your enjoying the bright colours. I seem to have a uniformed nature to colour imaging and can't seem to spread my imagination that far. The XR5 looks chilli-hot m8. I can imagine a pair red peppers instead of pink fluffy dice over the dash. I also see your spreading your colours over several dds files for the XR5. That's how it's starts... before you know it, it's therapy. :)

If you cannot find or obtain a dds or layer'd original like the underside of the XR2, create one. I just did some top skins, emulating Coolhand's creativity, but I'm sure your interest, which is alot more than I thought would give you the patience for it.

The Void

Reaction score
Simple answer, no.

As for your q, if you're using photoshop then explore 'blend if' - google it. You can also just erase uneeded areas by hand, make colour based selections and so on and these are universal to any decent image editor.

Okay I'll just make one for both XR vessels and thanks for the tips Coolhand I wish I had Photoshop though as it would make this easier :/

On another note Paint.Net does have a blend plugin similar to Photoshop so I'll try that first and if I don't succeed then I will seek help.

Again thanks Coolhand for the tips. :cheers:

The Void

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 AM ----------

If you need assistance, pm me.

Your enjoying the bright colours. I seem to have a uniformed nature to colour imaging and can't seem to spread my imagination that far. The XR5 looks chilli-hot m8. I can imagine a pair red peppers instead of pink fluffy dice over the dash. I also see your spreading your colours over several dds files for the XR5. That's how it's starts... before you know it, it's therapy. :)

If you cannot find or obtain a dds or layer'd original like the underside of the XR2, create one. I just did some top skins, emulating Coolhand's creativity, but I'm sure your interest, which is alot more than I thought would give you the patience for it.

My interest are very high in fact I did custom work for a mod for the game Command & Conquer a few years back and found orbiter found the add-ons and found the forum and thought hey this would be a great opportunity to get back into custom artwork again just wish I had my pen tablet I'd be turning out skins three times a day :lol: (I'm sure I'd scrap a lot to)

As for the color scheme I figured hey this thing needs something bright for my next project (wish the weave pattern was a little more productive but it was useless to continue) but the chili peppers sound nice maybe I'll add some :lol: . The color scheme comes from my love for Jamaica and my friends from there which would be more then half my friends and the are all mostly Rastafarian so that's where my inspiration comes from and the next one will be based of the colors of the Jamaican flag colors (green, yellow and black) but the brightness will be toned down then after that I will move back to the Arrow and Deepstar the most complicated being the Deepstar and its many "putting-off"(I think I said that right) dds files. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is 50 something dds files for the Deepstar so that will consume a lot of time and that's possibly why I see no new textures for it.

So back to work for me and expect better work as I improve my skills again :)

The Void :tiphat:

The Void

Reaction score
It was a success!! Also another trick I used to the color is different but the results are better. So this is what I did, using Paint.Net it doesn't use percentage everything ranges from 0 to 225 so I did a gaussian blur of 1 to the patterned layer then add a layer above it colored it black set the transparency to 20 and set the transparency of the patterned layer to 174 and got these results.

RedRocket.png

By employing the tips of Coolhand and Loru I have gotten rid of the strobing effect and have decided to revive my first project. :thankyou: Coolhand and Loru

With that said I will be gone for two days I will continue working on my textures Saturday :tiphat:

Last edited:

The Void

Reaction score
Due to a hacker i had to get my computer wiped clean and had to get it sent to a shop to get rid of the hackers programs :facepalm: . So i will be starting fresh on my projects except for the XR2 Red Rocket which i copied to an SD card. expect some form of updates either late today or tomorrow.

The Void

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

This is a head scratcher right here, so I did away with the wire frame lines but when I opened up orbiter with the scenario the wire frame lines still appeared. Any suggestions?

The completed flattened file used without wire frame lines...
Red_Rocket.gif

The screen shot after I started Orbiter lines still show...
WireFrameStillShowsheadscratchingtime.gif

Call me crazy but that's strange that I use one file but the scenario is I'm only guessing now... but I'm pretty sure it's using the default XR2 Top hull .dds file... Is it safe to pull out my hair yet?

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

The XR5 Rastafarian is finally ready for use it has been remade in no time due to the fact that I remembered what I did to make it. Tell me what you think.

Untitled-3.gif

Last edited:

The Void

Reaction score
The XR2 Red Rocket is finally done now I will set aside XR2 and XR5 projects for a bit while I work on the Arrow for the next few days

Heres the updated Red Rocket
RedRocketFinished.png

The Void

Reaction score
After almost a year of my computer crashing and being rebuilt I must start over from scrap now :compbash: . I have missed this site and the community and the game so much. I noticed a lot has changed. This project is still alive expect updates on the Arrow soon have been working hard on new textures for the vessel. I also learned some new skinning skills while I was rebuilding my computer. :hailprobe: