New to forum.

jscotti

Reaction score
I just joined this forum in the last week. I've been using Orbiter off and on since probably the first version or two and have always been impressed with its capabilities and also in its continued development. I've used other space related software such as Eaglelander 3D which specializes in Apollo lunar module landings on the Moon. My first experience with interactive orbital mechanics simulation goes back to the old Apple II and a program that simulated a Space Shuttle launch and rendezvous and docking with a space station which must have been around 1981.

My "day job" (and often night) is as a Planetary Scientist at the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Lab and study asteroids and comets. I was inspired as a young boy by the Apollo Moonlandings, so my favorite add-ons are all the ones related to Apollo, though any of the historical add-ons are quite interesting. I remember trying one of the Gemini-Titan launches and managed to station keep with the Titan upper stage (with some difficulty) after achieving orbit as some of the early Gemini crews did. I would love to try and have my wife make use of Orbiter for her middle school science classroom, but I suspect her 7th graders would probably be overwhelmed by the complexities of celestial mechanics.....

Thanks to Martin and all the other contributors for this wonderful software!

Jim.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Welcome to Orbiter Forum, You'll be a highly valued member here with your background! You will meet many good people here who will share Your interests! Wishes of good fortune and future to You! :cheers:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

N.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum!

As Sly said, with a background like that you'll be a highly valued member here.

Cheers! :cheers:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum!
I would love to try and have my wife make use of Orbiter for her middle school science classroom, but I suspect her 7th graders would probably be overwhelmed by the complexities of celestial mechanics.....
Orbiter as an educational tool isn't new. It's been successfully done with even younger kids already. Besides, I(and others on the forum) started around 4th or 5th grade and I now have a good understanding of orbital mechanics and can perform most orbital maneuvers. It has been 4 or 5 years :p but when I actually tried to learn how to achieve orbit and reentry it only took me a couple of days. (I did this basically within a year of starting Orbiter)

However, I wouldn't doubt the difficulty in getting 7th graders to get into the idea of doing this and I don't know how you get a school to let you do this. (persuade them it's educational I guess) It's one thing to get a kid who is already interested in Orbiter to start trying to fly, but may be another to try to get someone less interested to become interested. Assuming that you can get a class like this to happen, I think you can convince students that Orbiter is fun.

Rathelm

Reaction score
Welcome! As fond as I am of the Apollo series I actually have more interest in the future craft such as the XR2, XR5 series. It's nice to have an idea where are species could possibly be going.

jscotti

Reaction score
It is great to hear that Orbiter is being used by young people. When I was your age, the very last Apollo flight - the Apollo Soyuz had just flown and the first Space Shuttle flight was still nearly 6 years in the future. I wish I had had a program like Orbiter back then, though. I had to learn Celestial Mechanics the old fashioned way....

I've been thinking about using Orbiter as a demo while talking to her class. Watching a Saturn V rocket or a Space Shuttle launch and fly into space usig Orbiter might give them a new perspective on things.

Jim.

Orbiter as an educational tool isn't new. It's been successfully done with even younger kids already. Besides, I(and others on the forum) started around 4th or 5th grade and I now have a good understanding of orbital mechanics and can perform most orbital maneuvers. It has been 4 or 5 years :p but when I actually tried to learn how to achieve orbit and reentry it only took me a couple of days. (I did this basically within a year of starting Orbiter)

However, I wouldn't doubt the difficulty in getting 7th graders to get into the idea of doing this and I don't know how you get a school to let you do this. (persuade them it's educational I guess) It's one thing to get a kid who is already interested in Orbiter to start trying to fly, but may be another to try to get someone less interested to become interested. Assuming that you can get a class like this to happen, I think you can convince students that Orbiter is fun.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
A DG is just so much more fun and even comes with an orbit MFD.
Newtons cannon can go home if you unpack this thing in the classroom!

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Instead of on the chalk board, Newtons cannon now may be virtually fired on the moons surface for real (For the sake of no atmosphere)! Interaction makes learning orbital mechanics so much easier to learn. Proves the classroom of the future is the holodeck. Wherever I know there will be children, I'll always be sure to pack a copy of Orbiter to inspire young minds.

It's one thing to see a concept on paper but another to actually practice it as they say! I'm sure one would be surprised how quickly a young child would learn to launch his first satellite. And then learn to make planned launches and orbits such as geo-stationary.