Project New VTOHL or capsule multistage design - need assistance

trekie015

Reaction score
Hello :tiphat:
I have a goal to create a VTOHL or capsule type multistage spacecraft for orbiter. I am able to model these meshes in 3ds max and anim8tor. Attached is a concept mesh of the design. For the HL type I could add wings or for the Orion type capsule I could make the aft area detachable. I have completed the - Anim8or tutorial: How to model a rocket (Lesson 2). That,pretty much, is the extent of my "astronaut training." :p So I hope that some of you orbiter wise people could help me, maybe start out by replacing the DG with some mesh so I can start understanding the basics of addon creation.
Thank You :D
~Daniel

Attachments

• Concept_Design.png
    Concept_Design.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 100

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Very cool design. Are you planning on texturing it, or just want to get it into Orbiter to experiment first ?

trekie015

Reaction score
Probably get it into Orbiter to assure that it works and familiarize myself with the basics after I complete the tweaking and such texture it as a final mesh. Also, how would I include different objects grouped together such as CBDs and other mobile parts?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
a winged design will sacrifice realism, but would likely be quite nice. if you want to keep it realistic, you should allow the front section to detach, leaving the aft to burn up, and the fore to re-enter and be recovered

trekie015

Reaction score
That is what I was considering, the fore section actually being a command module and the aft to be left after complete separation. If there was a way, that I could include a winged design in a separate folder or something...

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
doing both will take quite a long time, meshing each one, coding controls for both. better to start with one, get it stable and released, then work on the second ;)

good luck man!

trekie015

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will just first work in modeling an ares type rocket to start. How would I have the SRBs separable with different objects?

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Very nice design! :)

BTW: How did you manage to cut out the front windows in Anim8 or? I remember it didn't really support boolean operations.

trekie015

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment, this was actually a long term project on 3ds max that I imported to anim8tor. If I built is solely in anim8tor, how would I include the windows, texture?

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Unless you are a C++ coder, you'll probably want to use Vinka's Spacecraft 3 and Multistage for putting this together. Unfortunately, both come with their own limitations. However, Multistage will probably be the easiest way to get your SRBs to separate.

In Anim8or window materials are made by adjusting the transparency setting, and tweaking the specular settings (to create light reflection). I've found there's no single answer to what these settings should be, and are really more dependent on what you're trying to achieve.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
What n0mad32 said.

If you"re not a C++ coder, I suggest to use Artlav's spacecraft3.dll converter:
[ame]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5177[/ame]

It uses the spacecraft3.dll script code and converts it into a proper dll module. And it also creates a file with the converted C++ code. This makes it easier to learn and understand C++ coding in Orbiter.

trekie015

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! The weekend is approaching so I can see how that multistage and converter work then.
Thanks!
~Daniel

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would at least replace the retro rockets with complete RCS modules that can also be used for maneuvering. Must not be big thrusters, the torque of a "small" 5000N thruster should be enough for government work (Like the Space Shuttle primary RCS)

trekie015

Reaction score
Ah, okay the RCS on the aft oms section?

oms_subsys.gif

trekie015

Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering if the array would be that in the image or that of the Apollo program. (on SM)