Project No Bloody A, B, C, or D

KirkUnit

Reaction score
TOS U.S.S. Enterprise. Just about ready to upload it. It was built using Anim8or and tested in Orbiter 2006, but should work (and will be tested in) 2010 before I release it.

149193_1469816430976_1400569033_31086542_3716825_n.jpg

Anyone interested?

KU

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Epic quote, I loved that episode - one of my favourite from TNG in fact.

Ship's looking good, from what I can see! I don't really use Orbiter for Trek ships much, but I like this model so far. :thumbup:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it a spacecraft3 vessel, or configuration file, or module? The mesh looks very nice. :thumbup:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Great job on that model! Epic quote, too. :lol:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Great job! Can we also expect other Constitution ships or Constitution refits?

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did you put a docking port near on the pylon near the engineering section?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Epic quote, I loved that episode - one of my favourite from TNG in fact.

I read the subject and heard Scotty's voice. Perfect subject line and the model looks awesome.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Looks great but I personally think the texture needs a bit of tweaking, I personally like the look from the movies with the strange panel looks. But either way looks great. :thumbup:

Darren

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks great but I personally think the texture needs a bit of tweaking, I personally like the look from the movies with the strange panel looks. But either way looks great. :thumbup:
That would be the bloody A (or, granted, the refit) you're thinking of. The TOS Enterprise was smooth. ;)

I'm not usually one to clamour for features, but could you perhaps make it with a customisable nameplate/registry number? That I think would be the easiest approach to adding additional vessels of the class, which Star Voyager already asked for.

KirkUnit

Reaction score
The textures are based on the original 11 foot studio model prior to it recent "renovation", and are as accurate as I can make them. Some minor details have been left out either for the sake of simplicity or due to the limitations of the modeling program and/or Orbiter.

That said, it is not an exact replica of the Enterprise. I made a few subtle changes here and there. Some, again, for the sake of simplicity and others just because I thought that that is the way the should be. Most noticeable are the nacelle end caps.

There is a very good description of how the original end caps were built and how they worked. However when built in Anim8or per the original plans, they just didn't look (or work) right. In the end I settled for my own interpretation seen here.

64634_1427960104594_1400569033_31011179_2974338_n.jpg

The spiky balls rotate slowly and provide an acceptable "warp engine" effect.

Also, the rear nacelle caps are my own design, and not what was seen on the original.

As it stands now, the Enterprise will be a Spaceship III model which I will tweak so it doesn't have "fighter" like response. Sorry, I'm a modeler, not a programmer.

I should have it up at OHM in about a week or so.

Yeah, I'll make textures for the other 12 Constitution Class ships.

-KU

Last edited:

KirkUnit

Reaction score
Interesting photo, but it appears to have been photoshopped.

The (for lack of a better term) semi-circular "non-skid" panels on the sides and front of the saucer section were not part of the original design. The opening to the original pilot The Cage shows the top of the saucer section very well as the camera pans in on the bridge - the panels weren't there. Also, I used to live right outside D.C. back in the 70s/80s and visited the NASM many times and saw the big E in person right after it had been put on display. Again, those panels were not there.

I'm not sure of the origin of those detail, but they definitely came after the original series had ended. It is interesting that you picture shows the "tall" pilot bridge dome and the spikes on the nacelles - it is a very early picture indeed.

Smithsonian1.jpg

The original filming model in the 90s.

-KU

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
That would be the bloody A (or, granted, the refit) you're thinking of. The TOS Enterprise was smooth. ;)

I'm not usually one to clamour for features, but could you perhaps make it with a customisable nameplate/registry number? That I think would be the easiest approach to adding additional vessels of the class, which Star Voyager already asked for.
I know I just personally never liked the look of the TOS Enterprise.
*prepares to get flamed by TOS fans*

Darren

KirkUnit

Reaction score

From that same site. The 11 foot Enterprise fresh out of the model shop!:thumbup:

P25_1_Enterprise.jpg

I'm not saying that they absolutely were never on the 11 foot filming model, but I have looked at litterly hundreds of pictures of the studio model and that is the only image I've seen which show those black panel details. It also seems unlikely that such a detail would have been used because the way they did special effects compositing back then, any thing black would allow the star field they superimposed the image on to show through the model. SFX were really rather primitive back then.

-KU

Last edited:

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
To be honest I was looking for the three forward sensor circles on the primary hull. :cheers: Love it we can still learn about the old girl.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My all time favorite was the Enterprise Refit from the movies... The 60's model was showing signs of low budget, albeit much worse models have excited TV tubes in those days, and the TNG and going forward just looked too "streamlined" for space vessels. The motion pictures era 1701 was just right.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I'm not sure people understand the panels I was refering to, I was refering to NCC-1701-A from TMP, of the original Enterprises that one looked the best IMO.

Darren

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My all time favorite was the Enterprise Refit from the movies... The 60's model was showing signs of low budget, albeit much worse models have excited TV tubes in those days, and the TNG and going forward just looked too "streamlined" for space vessels. The motion pictures era 1701 was just right.
I think it was in the episode with the Planet Killer that they went and bought an Enterprise model kit, assembled it and then filmed it as another starship. The nacelles were drooping. Those were the days! :lol:

Agreed on the designs. The motion-picture Enterprises were right on. Not just tubes sticks and disks, but not wavy aquatic contraptions either.