Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
bbc said:
The US Geological Survey said the 4.7-magnitude quake was detected at 0054 GMT. It happened 10km (six miles) below the surface.
And i thought only Russia and USA made boreholes that deep.
Now it seems NK did the same, and managed to slip a nuke into the hole?
So, who's kidding - BBC post-ignoring-consistency or NK tantrum?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
10 km below the surface rules out that it was a nuclear test - drilling such a hole is more effort than necessary for testing. I suspect it is more a usual natural Earthquake, Korea is not in an inactive zone of Earth...

EDIT: North Korea announced the have done a nuclear test and a ballistic missile launch.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, also it happened very close to the place of the 2006 test.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The 10km is not right then? I find it hard to believe NK would go so deep. Especially since it would be one of the deepest holes ever drilled (it could be argued that Kim Jong-il is digging a nice deep hole for himself too).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The 10km is not right then? I find it hard to believe NK would go so deep. Especially since it would be one of the deepest holes ever drilled (it could be argued that Kim Jong-il is digging a nice deep hole for himself too).

Could also be a measurement error. I would wait for proper measurements to say more or less exact depth. And yes, he is digging his own hole... He gives people reasons to assume he wants to be responsible for his own government style...

Chipstone306

Reaction score
So according to 5 news agencys and the South Koreans and the Russians it was officially confirmed now.... I can say i did not see this coming it seems like this will turn into .
a) a localized war
b) another cold war this time with an asian spin to it.
I am mainly suprised at the lack of outrage from China right now especially being theat it was done almost on their doorstep. Hopefully Obama and the Un will say enough is enough with this country and take DEFINATIVE actions against them , preferebly not with force but a full on embargo would maybe show him that the world does not need to be toyed with. I would love china though to stop being so cozy with the NK and protest this test ( russia too would be a great help )

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Mikhail Margelov, Chairman of the International Affairs Committee of the Federation Councel of Russia (the upper house of the Parliament) believes that the DPRK must get an adequate response for their underground nuclear test and the BM launch undertaken on this Monday's morning.

"Korea chooses blackmailing and sabre rattling its strategy over and over, and I believe that this time the response of the international community is going to be a one hard lined. Position of Pyongyang resembles behaviour of the ancient Scythians who rampaged Constantinopole once in every several years; they would lay the siege down when they get their ransom and come back once they would spend all the received money", the senator said.

This is much the same way Pyongyang Government unilaterally terminate all treaties, launch their next missile and then get their petrol, various technologies and all the extra boni for their refusal of nuclear tests and then sit still for a while; but this is not going to repeat forever.

Following the today's events, North Korea must receive an adequate responce from the UN and other international associations, said Margelov. He reminded that Russia declared many times in the past that we would not tolerate an appearance of a new state possessing nuclear weapons right at our border. The same position is shared by the rest of the 6-side negotiation's participants.

"I am sure that the today's session of the UN Security Councel will condemn North Korean actions unanimously. Pyongyang must understand that they can't hold us on their hook forever and in case of stubborn persistence in their nuclear programme's development the country may face a strict sanctions regime and put their population to the brink of a humanitarian disaster. Only the government of the North Korea holds the full responsibility for this and we can only hope that their common sense will defeat their ambitions and greediness." - said Margelov.

May 25, 2009

Chipstone306

Reaction score
Very good to see from the Russians ! Its good to see that they are sick of this type of bullying too. They can really be a speaker for the rest of the Un since we all know what china will say in defense of NK

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And i thought only Russia and USA made boreholes that deep.
Now it seems NK did the same, and managed to slip a nuke into the hole?
So, who's kidding - BBC post-ignoring-consistency or NK tantrum?

It's the BBC being a bunch of clowns. Even when they reported the story the USGS was saying that the shock came from surface level, the BBC obviously ignored that.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
How many Eiffel Towers deep is that? How many Hiroshima bombs is that? :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It was 30 supertankers deep.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
That is just saber-rattling, a demonstration of authority. They just do what the big forerunner, USA and later Russia, made a draft on as well and actually initialised the whole thing in the past. And not to mention France as well, not too long ago. We, the west, are somehow role models and others want to participate in the big cake for decades. I can also not forget, in such a context, that the USA even applied their nuclear power against zivil-population and did some nasty tests in the past. And I don't think they don't do so today because they represent "human rights" and try to spread peace. They just adopt to public and international political pressure and try to retain a certain face. They just screen for their dirty but silent purposes...

What Korea does certainly is not the right thing to do. But if we start to shout out and point fingers, we have to point to ourselves as well. Especially the USA and Russia by no means were any better and less dangerous during earlier days. It's partly our technology, our inventions and the outcomes of our politics and demonstration of authority.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
It apparently was 10x more powerful than the one in 2006.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_famine
Aren't they sawing off the branch they are sitting on above the abyss of hell?
The world around is feeding their people, for free.

How can the place be defused without nukes flying around the neighborhood?

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What is the official NK explanation on why they performed this test? I mean, there is no reason why they would be open about their true intentions, but I don't see how this can be a rational action, unless there is more than the media tell us. Their explanation should at least be interesting.