News 'North Korean torpedo' sank South's navy ship - report

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
If anyone has been watching that March 26 S. Korea sinking, they finally reported what happened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10129703.stm

Investigators said they had discovered part of the torpedo on the sea floor and it carried lettering that matched a North Korean design.
South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has pledged to take "stern action" against the North.
"The evidence points overwhelmingly to the conclusion that the torpedo was fired by a North Korean submarine. "There is no other plausible explanation."
The report said the torpedo parts found "perfectly match" a torpedo type that the North manufacturers.
Lettering found on one section matched that on a North Korean torpedo found by the South seven years ago.

So they did it, but now what?

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
The "Stern" action is going to have to be somthing along the lines of a blockade or something to deter them from trying this again. This is act in breech of the ceasefire and as we are technically still at war they cant let this go unanswered less NK thinks it can start doing more.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
"Breach of cease fire" isn't really the point. Whatever the state of diplomatic relations between the two countries, it's an act of war...

Ark

Reaction score
North Korea actually has submarines? What, did they buy them off the Russians?

Mogeley

Reaction score
Since this is an act of war couldn't this result in an invasion by a united nations led coalition?

Sure just after the US mission to Mars... I'm just saying the UN is useless, and the US will be on Mars first...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I thought they concluded it was a old sea mine that just drifted into the course of the ship.

If it was a torpedo, the only answer would be war, or at least the preparations for one. But South Korea had tolerated a lot of North Korean violations of the cease fire in the past.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I thought they concluded it was a old sea mine that just drifted into the course of the ship.

If it was a torpedo, the only answer would be war, or at least the preparations for one. But South Korea had tolerated a lot of North Korean violations of the cease fire in the past.

That was the original conclusion, however a multi national team has concluded that a North Korean Torpedo was the cause. SK has done this by the book and has only mentioned that it was a North Korean torpedo very recently.

SK are going to push for more sanctions, which NK has threatened that will be an act of war. I don't see SK starting the war again unless some other attack by NK is carried out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
With such an attitude they'll end up tolerating NK shells hitting Seoul living blocks in a particular hour every morning.

Did actually happen, as far as I remember. The DMZ is at least not really respected by North Korea, they just avoid open wars, but send small teams to the south pretty often. And since North Korea always declared that any sanctions would be considered a hostile act, I would say the possibility of a war is there, even if South Korea just reacts at all to the sinking.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since this is an act of war couldn't this result in an invasion by a united nations led coalition?
the united nations don't invade nations with lunatic dictators commanding a nuclear arsenal. The consequences would be waaaay too unpredictable. This is one of the situations where you could actually imagine someone being mad enough to drop THE bomb.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
the united nations don't invade nations with lunatic dictators commanding a nuclear arsenal. The consequences would be waaaay too unpredictable. This is one of the situations where you could actually imagine someone being mad enough to drop THE bomb.

=> the united nations are useless crowd of cowards.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Back in the 1980s I once talked to a US Army soldier who had come home from Korea after being stationed at the DMZ for a while. We asked him what it was like, and he said that the two sides hated each other's guts, but they had a certain code about the way they acted (usually). He said sometimes they would shoot at you and you might shoot back at them, at very long range, but mostly it was a mind game.

Then we asked him to buy liquor for us because we were 17 and we gave him the money for it, which is why we were hanging out next to the liquor store in the first place...nowadays he'd think we were undercover cops and would probably have said no, but back then you could get away with stuff like that easier.

Anyway, point being that North Korea is not above using violence to provoke and intimidate in an attempt to create a propaganda incident, and they usually know how to stop just short of starting an actual war.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Well it seems to me that a few "accidents" on DPRK submarines might need occur.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
US vows punishment for North Korea over ship sinking

New news;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10134613.stm

The North is facing international condemnation after investigators blamed it for the sinking of the ship, in which 46 sailors died.
Pyongyang has rejected the claim as a "fabrication" and threatened war if sanctions were imposed.
China urged restraint and did not criticise the North.

'All-out war' Pyongyang has said it would send its own inspection team to the South, to "verify material evidence" behind the accusation.

A North Korean defence spokesman said the country would "respond to reckless counter-measure with an all-out war of justice", the state KCNA news agency reported.

So the question we would all like to know, if this so called 'stern action' from the US is not 'accepted' by the NK, what then? Any action anyone else takes against NK could be viewed as a 'reckless countermeasure' would the US chicken out or would NK/SK start at it again. If they do do you think USA would enter it or leave this one be.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
So the question we would all like to know, if this so called 'stern action' from the US is not 'accepted' by the NK, what then? Any action anyone else takes against NK could be viewed as a 'reckless countermeasure' would the US chicken out or would NK/SK start at it again. If they do do you think USA would enter it or leave this one be.

Im just not sure but i can see this easily turning into a war