OFMM Lite

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
He may be out in a UMMU suit lugging those modules around. I thought it was kind of tough to do. But it was funny watching the boxes bouce around on the surface of Phobos, had to fly around and chase them down. Funny to watch, aggrevating to do...
But fun:thumbup:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
He may be out in a UMMU suit lugging those modules around. I thought it was kind of tough to do. But it was funny watching the boxes bouce around on the surface of Phobos, had to fly around and chase them down. Funny to watch, aggrevating to do...
But fun:thumbup:
Yeah, that was a tough one to do. I had a scare when I did it, because the 2 button on my keypad gets stuck sometimes, I reached escape velocity and almost flew off into Martian orbit. I managed to get back down by flipping upside down, but I ditched the cargo and thus lost one of the solar panels. I christened the base 'Skylab' after that. Good times... :lol:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While we wait, why not throw around ideas for the next operation?

Notice the new signature? :)
I was thinking the HLV Moon Base would make a good addition. To avoid multiple TMIs and window problems, a pile of them could be attached to the James Cook and deorbited. This would provide for a much longer operation with more missions for everyone (a bunch of launches, dockings, landings.)

At the end of that mission, there would then be two large interplanetary vessels in Martian orbit, so if one returned to Earth, there would still be an operational space-station and emergency return vehicle (I would vote for the Arrow to remain with its Deltaglider.) If we wanted to get complex, I would say the the Cook should be made into an Aldrin Cycler, if that's possible, since it has many docking ports for modules, as well as area for a minimal crew to live comfortably.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good. There is a J.Cook on the hanger with all the whole HLV mission latched to it already, but I haven't tried it out. I had the dickens of a time trying to land on the moon without LOLA assistance using Orbiter '10. How is the reentry on Mars?

I'm up for it, the great thing about this and OFSS was that I was "forced" to learn new skills in order to keep up.

Solar424

Reaction score
When are we gonna launch Mission 7? Also, When are we going to get a completed Base. Whenever I try and jettison the cargo the box flies away and lands on mars.

Edit: Also, see my new Sig?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Whenever I try and jettison the cargo the box flies away and lands on mars.

Well, I can only tell you how I did it... But once I managed to get the Prometheus down (and stay down instead of bouncing). I selected the cargo I wanted released and it "dropped" to the surface of Phobos. Then I wrestled the boxes around the surface with a Ummu and unpacked them. It was hard to do, no joke. I was thinking the whole time that this is an instance where multiplayer would totally rock.

Phobos doesn't have much gravity, so I spent quite a lot of time chasing down bouncing cargo, as well as trying to get my own ummu under control. So far I think this was the hardest mission to complete.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good. There is a J.Cook on the hanger with all the whole HLV mission latched to it already, but I haven't tried it out. I had the dickens of a time trying to land on the moon without LOLA assistance using Orbiter '10. How is the reentry on Mars?

I'm up for it, the great thing about this and OFSS was that I was "forced" to learn new skills in order to keep up.
I gave that Cook a brief try and it caused a CTD. I'll probably end up just making my own scenario up using those addons. It's funny, the Lanceur (with Ariane 6 second stage) is completely capable of getting to Mars on its own.

Martian reentry is, quite frankly, plumb awful. I have a feeling that it will be the toughest part.
When are we gonna launch Mission 7?
Whenever mission 6 is done. :)
So far I think this was the hardest mission to complete.
Yes, by far. I had no idea how hard it would be until I did it myself and nearly failed. :facepalm:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:tumbleweed:

There's not a lot going on here. I'm not sure what's going on with Mission 6 and its pilot.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I found a showstopping bug. :(

If you start a simulation with the focus far away from a UCGO vessel, it will revert to a box. The moment you select a crewman who was in an inflatable base, he/she dies. I tried a few workarounds, but none worked. :facepalm:

I think if vessels were created which used the object's unpacked mesh, it could be half-solved, but bases would be unbreathable, etc.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Perhaps we could unpack a base, then "magically" replace it with a prelude base at the same location. Not a great solution, but...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Perhaps we could unpack a base, then "magically" replace it with a prelude base at the same location. Not a great solution, but...
Eh, not a bad idea. Not pretty, but the Prelude has everything needed in a spaceport as far as we're concerned.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Weight comes off the ship, base appears on Phobos. I guess that works out...?

Another easy thing you can do is make an ridiculously dense "Unpackable Prelude" cargo, so the weight adds up, and you have less work (no need replacing the base).
You just need to believe the cargo is bigger...

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Weight comes off the ship, base appears on Phobos. I guess that works out...?

Another easy thing you can do is make an ridiculously dense "Unpackable Prelude" cargo, so the weight adds up, and you have less work (no need replacing the base).
You just need to believe the cargo is bigger...
But that returns the problem of it reverting to a box and killing everyone inside. Unless, I guess, if after it is unpacked, go into the scenario and change the entry Phobos Base:UCGOPrelude (or whatever it would be called) to Phobos Base:preludeII (and change all references, blah blah blah.)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Shouldn't it spawn an active prelude.dll vessel and delete the cargo vessel, like how the unpackable probe works? I don't see why it wouldn't work, since the unpacked Prelude would be exactly the same as a normal Prelude once unpacked.
Is this a problem of modules, or vessel names, or what? :idk:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alright, that makes sense. I'm not very familiar with UCGO's inner workings (I only started looking at them last week :lol:)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, someone test this for me.
Quick and dirty config for an unpackable Prelude, it goes in "Orbiter2010\Config\Vessels\UCGO\Cargos", save as .cfg file:
Code:
; === Configuration file for UCGO cargo ===
ucForceName    = cpr2                    ; Force object name when cargo is released max 6 char.
Module         = UCGODynamicCargo            ; if this cargo can be unpacked or released as module
Mass         = 200000                ; mass of content in kg
MeshName     = UniversalCars/UCGOCargInflatMainBox    ; Box mesh name (packed cargo)
UcDescription     = Prelude II base construction kit    ; description
ucSpawnModule    = DGIVPreludeII                ; name of vessel config to spawn once cargo released.
ucSpawnDelay    = 5                    ; delay in seconds of module spawning after cargo release (max 600)
ucSpawnCondition= 3                    ; 0=Landed 1=Not landed 2=Always 3=unpack by UMmu

UMMuBreathableBase    = 1            ; 1 if it's a UMMU base (can breath into it)
UMMuBaseRadius        = 100                ; breathable radius in meter from center of mesh

ImageBmp = Images\UniversalCars\crgLife.bmp ;image for scenery editor

; === MANDATORY NO NEED TO EDIT THIS BELOW ===
Size = 20.0    ; size is 1.3 meter but this is to avoid LOD uggly switch
AlbedoRGB = 0.6 0.6 0.6
TouchdownPoints = 0.0 -0.005 3.0 -4.0 -0.005 -3.00 4.0 -0.005 -3.00
EditorCreate=true
EnableFocus = true               ; One of the rare case where one want focus available on cargo
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
P 0.0 1.0 0.70  0 0 1  0 1 0  UCGOCG
END_ATTACHMENT

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I will work when you remove these lines:
Code:
UMMuBreathableBase    = 1            ; 1 if it's a UMMU base (can breath into it)
UMMuBaseRadius        = 100                ; breathable radius in meter from center of mesh
I gave it a try and it looks... just wrong. :uhh: (even with an OFMM skin.)

Such a base on Mars, carried there by the Arrow and assembled in a day or two, by a handfull of astronauts, looks beyond ridiculous. Not to mention how a Prelude base on Phobos looks like. (Within the parameters of OFMM of course, there's nothing wrong with the Prelude base in general.)

Why not "fall-back" to the 2006 version? The UCGO works pretty well there. None of the problems posted above occur.
The Martian texture looks far better on the 2010 version but you can always copy it over on 2006.

Just a thought...
:cheers:

Last edited: