garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Below is the list of proposed missions for OFMM! These missions are proposed only and have been posted here for discussion. Much like with the roll call thread please keep it on topic about the missions themselves, if think something is silly, say so. If you think I've missed something - say so.

I want to keep this thread open for one week only so that people can have a say in the mission plan and then I want to close the thread so that we can focus on flying and not keep discussing the missions.

Missions are titled OFMM-[NUMBER], those called OFMM-P[Number] are planning 'missions' in support of the main mission. So the very first flight will be from Ascension island to KSC to pick up a satellite which is then flown to Ascension for preperation and flight.

Primary flight location is Ascension Island.
Backup location is Overton Island.

Backup location is there for weather diversions, systems issues, etc.

Now, in the list below I've mentioned vessels to be used for that mission. That is just my interpretation for the mission and the final list is totally up for you guys to discuss. You will be flying so feel free to tear the list apart.

The mission plan is based around a copy of Apollo - something of a 'get someone on Mars just say it's done' I've borrowed some ideas from Zubrin hence the two lots of supplies going to Mars.

To simplfy things I'm assuming that some sort of Mars vessel is already in Earth orbit but hasn't been visited for a few years so needs to be reactivated. I know some people are keen on building a ship in orbit but I'm not sure that's the best plan and we don't really have anything on OH that we can snap together.

I am thinking that a good ship to use for the Mars run is this -> [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2983"]Cosmos V2.0[/ame] as it has four docking ports and I like the idea of taking more than one lander to Mars - especially in the case of problems!

MISSIONS LIST.

OFMM-P1 - TX to KSC, Pick up a mothballed experimental comms satellite and fly it back to Ascension

OFMM-1 - Launch that satellite into Lunar orbit (This is testing for OFMM-7)

OFMM-2 - DGIV to the Mars ship for systems testing and inventory. Two EVAs are planned.
OFMM-2-EVA-1 - Rear half EVA for MMOD damage investigation.
OFMM-2-EVA-2 - Front half EVA for MMOD damage investigation.

OFMM-P2 - Mars Supplies drop test from helicopter, test to see if parachute systems work.

OFMM-3 - Solar early warning satellite for CME's (SEW)

OFMM-4 - Lunar Mission - XR5 for temporary base deployment, testing for emergency mars scenarios
OFMM-4-EVA-1 - Lunar surface EVA, testing deployment of emergency shelter systems.

OFMM-5 - XR-5 Fuel fort mission to Mars ship.
OFMM-5-EVA-1 Repair work to hull for MMOD impacts.
OFMM-5-EVA-2 Further repair work, installation of docking antenna systems and unveiling of OFMM logo

OFMM-6 - Lunar Mission - XR-2 Mars mission experimental testing, crew evaluations
OFMM-6-EVA-1 - Lunar surface EVA, Comms and system tests with satellite from OFMM-1

OFMM-7 - 3 x Comms satellites to Mars - Equ orbit 60 degress apart

OFMM-8 - 3 x Comms satellites to Mars - Equ orbit 60 degress apart

OFMM-9 - supplies drop test from orbit to woomera prohibited area
OFMM-P3 - Collection of drop test articles from woomera and return to Ascension for analysis.

OFMM-10 - Lunar Mission - XR-2 Mars Mission testing

OFMM-11 - DG-IV to Mars vessel, supplies, systems outfitting and docking tests. LANDING at Overton Island
OFMM-P4 - Collect DGIV from Overton and return to Ascension

OFMM-12 - Shuttle-C to Mars vessel, supplies, RMS.

OFMM-13 - Arianne to Mars vessel - ATV docking for further supplies.

OFMM-P5 - Landing Site decision, Primary and backup landing sites.

OFMM-14 - Lander to Mars, target primary site

OFMM-15 - Lander to Mars, target secondary site (or primary should OFMM-14 fail).

OFMM-16 - Supplies to Mars - Targetting primary site.

OFMM-17 - Supplies to Mars - Targetting secondary site.

OFMM-18 - DGIV to Mars ship

OFMM-19 - Mars ship to lunar orbit, shakedown cruise and full systems testing. Luar surface landing (for docked DG-IV). Return to Earth.

OFMM-20 - HLV to Mars orbit - fuel supplies.

OFMM-21 - Humans to Mars, dock with fuel tank - transer fuel then change orbits. HUMANS LAND ON MARS!

OFMM-22 - Excursion to Phobos for core sample retrieval (special request of the Russians)

OFMM-23 - Backup supplies to Mars

OFMM-24 - Humans return to Earth

OFMM-25 - XR-2 to mars ship, retrieve crew and landing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Could we possibly, I don't know, make provisions for a semi-permanent manned research facility?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If thats what you want to do, yes. A DG could be left on the surface with extra supplies. Additional supplies could be sent when the Mars ship is heading home?

Napalm42

Donator
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.

I just ask because it seems that the opportunity to have such a base on Mars would be invaluable to Mars research.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'll take an XR2 lunar mission.

I wonder how the EVAs will work. Do you just float around in space, pretending to do something? The only EVA I can think of that actually involves interaction is the MKSat that comes with the DGIV.

How will the OFMM logo be put on the spacecraft? Is it a giant sticker? Can I post my patch [-deleted section-] on this thread yet?

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sounds good to me.

I just ask because it seems that the opportunity to have such a base on Mars would be invaluable to Mars research.

I was thinking more Apollo style but ok, I'll amend the mission plan to include a few hardy UMMU's who will stay behind. :lol:

Napalm42

Donator
Reaction score
I'll take an XR2 lunar mission.

I wonder how the EVAs will work. Do you just float around in space, pretending to do something? The only EVA I can think of that actually involves interaction is the MKSat that comes with the DGIV.

How will the OFMM logo be put on the spacecraft? Is it a giant sticker? Can I post my patch and River Crab's logo on this thread yet?

My EVAs are usually keep the MMU near the worksite for a while. Usually that's how it goes unless the the Sat is used.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Nope. I was thinking tl8 if he keeps depticting me with a tie!!! :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:rofl: I just remembered that we planned on leaving someone from the start...Urwumpe, however, was the janitor. :p

attachment.php

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, it looks like the following missions will be Earth-system to Mars flights:

OFMM-7
OFMM-8
OFMM-14
OFMM-15
OFMM-16
OFMM-17
OFMM-20
OFMM-21
OFMM-23

As soon as I get more information about landing sites and mission requirements, trajectory planning can start in earnest (I need to finish final exams, too!). I'm going to leave LEO and cis-lunar missions to the pilots, I think everyone here can figure out how to get to the moon reasonably well.

By the way, if you'll have me, I'd like to volunteer to head up the OFMM trajectory office. :)

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As soon as I get more information about landing sites and mission requirements, trajectory planning can start in earnest (I need to finish final exams, too!).

The landing sites will be picked during/after OFMM-7 and 8.

garyw said:
Q. Where are we landing on Mars?

A. TBD. One of the missions in the missions list is to send an orbiter to Mars. When it arrives I'll create a landing site thread and we can agree on a landing location then - I'm trying to keep people involved who may not even be flying to Mars and to keep it fun and dynamic.

EDIT: sorry for being Captain Obvious. Just saw OFMM-P5.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh, I see I see. Alright, well, I was mainly asking for that information because it dictates the Mars-centric orbit you inject into. But no worries, I'm sure we'll have a good discussion soon enough. :)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Hmm... now this is just a thought. Why not visit one of the mars rovers? Not choosing as a landing site, rather an excursion to retrieve one of them.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Didn't they do that in Ben Bova's "Return to Mars", or maybe just plain "Mars"?

It would be a neat thing to do, if there were another mission objective nearby, and within resonable rover distance.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Well, i know spirit died kinda close to some scientific stuffs... its just a secondary objective, and probably wont happen. It would be nice to do though

Chub777

Reaction score
I thought we we're not using XR5s, XR2s and DGIVs.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I would like to deal with the unmanned satellites that are used in OFMM. If you want to spread out more in terms of users in this project then I am fine just taking on OFMM-1 and/or OFMM-3.

There is a \\\'plot hole\\\' between choosing the landing site and sending the Lander there, I suggest that an unmanned Mars scout lander be stuck in between those two missions.

This unmanned Mars scout lander could either be the lander in [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3425]Venus Express[/ame] or [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4898]Phoenix[/ame] would be the ones I would pick.