General Question Orbit over a base

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to place something in orbit over a base and it be over the base permanently in sync with the orbit.

is this possible using the scenario config add on?

example a space station or something else in synchronized orbiter over brighton beach or something like that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am wondering if it is possible to place something in orbit over a base and it be over the base permanently in sync with the orbit.

Only in rare circumstances, since you need a force to rotate your orbit with the body that you orbit. For Earth, you can for example only make an equatorial orbit for an equatorial base to be always passing over the base - but you can make a sunsync orbit, that passes over your base every day at the same time.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I see. So not like star trek where you can just do a synco orbit. Bummer

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, "Mr. Data, bring us into synchronous orbit above the north pole" was definitely one of the more nonsensical utterances of captain Piccard... :lol:

(and yes, he does say that in one episode).

So the only way you can keep station above a base is either by constant station keeping, i.e. propellant expenditure like there's no tomorrow (you know, helicopters do it a lot better than spacecraft...), or the base is on the equator, in which case a synchronous orbit is possible, but it will usually be pretty far away, mostly depending on the rotation period of the body (the slower it rotates, the farther away you have to be. The mass of the body plays a role too of course, but not nearly as much as its rotation period).

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Yes, "Mr. Data, bring us into synchronous orbit above the north pole" was definitely one of the more nonsensical utterances of captain Piccard... :lol:

(and yes, he does say that in one episode).

So the only way you can keep station above a base is either by constant station keeping, i.e. propellant expenditure like there's no tomorrow (you know, helicopters do it a lot better than spacecraft...), or the base is on the equator, in which case a synchronous orbit is possible, but it will usually be pretty far away, mostly depending on the rotation period of the body (the slower it rotates, the farther away you have to be. The mass of the body plays a role too of course, but not nearly as much as its rotation period).

If i am not mistaken it was the southern poll in the episode power play and it was not data as he was taken over by a bad guy. The Essex was lost. They went to a planet. it was a prison planet and the people were energy. Troy, obrian and data we taken over. they wanted the enterprise to move to a southern polar orbit so they could break everyone else out of jail.

I must have missed the epi where the enterprise visited santa.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Much like people think you can just park a spy satellite over a location and have it sit there in a nice low orbit snapping photos all day. Too bad nature doesn't allow that.

Nope, As urwumpe said, you've got geostationary orbit or some sort of synchronous orbit.

Outside of those your satellite will have to follow the laws of physics and planetary motion.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Ya that's cool. No worries. I was just trying to plant a stargate or something above brighton rather then fully cheating and park it right beside brighton. I wanted to have some sort of flight rather then poof yay. It's cool tho.