Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Nothing at all. The symbolic links will mean that the extraction will happen almost the same as it does on Windows, for all intents and purposes, ignoring case sensitivity.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
My box tells me that it can't overwrite a symbolic link with a dir of the same name.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Once you've set those symlinks up, you should be able to just unzip the archive straight into the Orbiter folder without needing to move anything afterwards. I don't understand the message your box is giving you, what were you trying to do at the time? Extract to the folder or move files in there?

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Right. Unzipping works. Moving directories over symlinks of the same name doesn't.

---------- Post added 08-18-10 at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-17-10 at 01:55 PM ----------

Additional info is needed to supplement this article: You need to copy certain Windows fonts to your c_drive/windows/fonts, otherwise the MFDs won't display text. I don't know which fonts, 'tho.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Additional info is needed to supplement this article: You need to copy certain Windows fonts to your c_drive/windows/fonts, otherwise the MFDs won't display text. I don't know which fonts, 'tho.
Only cour.ttf, arial.ttf, times.ttf are used in OGLA, MS ones for best quality, open ones renamed to these names would work also.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com

fixed.

gedaliah_atl

Reaction score
So what is the general consensus on Orbiter 2010 in Linux under Wine?

Orbiter is one of the reasons I don't pull Vista as my primary operating system on my fastest and newest laptop, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 natively on my "2nd" laptop.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
So what is the general consensus on Orbiter 2010 in Linux under Wine?

The biggest problem is that I haven't spent enough time with O2010 on Windows, so I don't know yet what issues are 2006/2010 addon compatibility issues, and what issues are Linux/Wine/Orbiter issues.

In general: I'd say it's pretty solid, as long as you're using OGLAClient, which performs competitively on my Nvidia/Ubuntu 9.04 Laptop to the built-in DirectX client on our ATI/WinXP desktop, and much *better* than OGLAClient on that same desktop. (All this in spite of the fact that the desktop in general has more processing power. The ATI card in the desktop has had trouble with GNOME on Jaunty and a fair number of OpenGL apps on Windows. I don't think I'll buy ATI again).

There are a few addons that don't work for reasons I haven't tested out yet, but it may just be 2006/2010 issues.

Orbiter is one of the reasons I don't pull Vista as my primary operating system on my fastest and newest laptop, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 natively on my "2nd" laptop.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
INTRESTING GLITCH: the text is upside down.
I'm no Linux/Wine expert, but the upside-down font reminds me of the same issue many had with Pribluda, an add-on for the glorious Grand Prix Legends racesim.
The problem occurred in a Windows-only environment, not Linux or whatever emulation.

The solution was to download and install a "already-upside-down" font, and then telling Pribluda to use that font instead of the system default font, by editing an ini text file.
Maybe it can help others?

I'll try to post more info as I get home.

Edit: here are some upside down fonts.
Again, I don't know if these can solve the quoted problem...maybe it's worth a try.

http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3731&st=12&p=26363&#entry26363
http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3731&st=72&p=26958&#entry26958
http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=3732&st=0&p=26353&#entry26353

Last edited:

emarkay

Reaction score
Not a necropost, just looking for an update. Any new information on getting it running in Ubuntu (I have stuck with a stripped down 10.04LTS version)?

Has any one tried it in Wine1.3? (I note someone advised Wine1.1 earlier.)

Once I get up to speed on Orbiter, I plan to work on getting it into Linux. I spent a bit of time on MS Flight Sim 9 in Wine a while back, but that's just not realistically possible...

Thanks!

MRK

FeLUX

Reaction score
I do also have an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and just got it work about a week ago !:).
It runs Orbiter only with OGLA. when i activate the HUD of DG it crashes (but not in Space Schuttle, ISS, Shuttle-A).
I'm using PlayOnLinux with wine 1.2 but I also tried 1.3 and 1.0 and i didn't notice any differences.
The Framrate is at about 10fps but its propably my hardware (didn't try on my "big PC" yet)

jimblah

Reaction score
Tried it with MaverickMeerkat and Wine1.3 Installed Ogla and dx9 as well. FPS = 5 after three attempts. Unfortunately I have to dual boot to a 10GB ntfs partition just for orbiter. Hats off to the guy with the big framerates. At least he gets to enjoy orbiter from linux :( I hope everyone has read this interview with Dr. Schweiger, http://techhaze.com/2010/06/interview-with-orbiter-sim-creator-martin-schweiger/ It gave some insight into the man with respect to his abundant good nature, talents, and motivations.
Breakout the Champagne!!
Started over: 40GB orbiter specific XP install, 40GB ubuntu install on a WD 80GB Raptor. Downloaded the latest source for wine, compiled and installed. Got the Oglaclient that matched the version of Orbiter I was using in wine, and followed the directions above. Went to #winehq for the process. Be prepared to provide the output from wine to see if wine is the problem. Be prepared to stare at posts here in Orbiter Forum to begin to understand what's going on. Orbiter is in the appd and its currently not maintained...
Big improvement in sound, and graphics. 35 to 51fps at 1920x1080 on a LG Flatron W2353V. Artefact-OGLA vessel demo was fun to mess around with, but I really liked Cubic Ogla Test. MOST of of the scenarios are functioning, especially tutorials Orbiter was so stable I loaded a default compiz cube. Orbiter's performance meter clearly read between 25 and 35 fps while the cube was in motion and DG Stunts did it's thing! I loaded up Firefox, audacious, Grekllm, Top from a terminal, and a VirtualBox vm, and everything still performed though burdened. Virtual Cockpit is stunning. Keys seem to all be working. Sound3.5 works. I Wanna right a script or something to automate easy bleeding edge or stable fresh installs. A way to attract new users could be a custom Orbiter Skydome of a spaceflight related background layered with an expressive image of Dr. Schweiger, Animated 3D cube models of legacy Orbiter craft, with a cube or some other deformation demonstrating quickly evolving Orbiter and Ogla client on a you tube video. Thank you to those contributing to this amazing whatever it is. Big Reward for the effort. There 's no need for a port, a clone not necessary. Is there a way to help fine tune this by submitting wine, ogla.log, and Orbiter.log output? The Countdown by Rush is pounding in my ears.
P4 3.2Ghz oc 3.5Ghz, P4P800E-deluxe, GeForce 8600 GS, 2GB RAM

Last edited:

jimblah

Reaction score
Addons under wine

Gave Orbiter a silver rating under wine at the Wine Appd. In the past Orbiter has been rated as garbage. I believe it will eventually hit gold. DGIV worked but was not playable. Had problems with dot.net for multiplayer. Easily reverted to the fresh install and recovered the silver rated performance. I'm going to make user accounts to compile different versions of wine and bleeding edge orbiter in. Sorry, I'm not being specific but I'm tired. I'm also reading books and the forum on how wine, oglaclient, and windows work.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Tried it with MaverickMeerkat and Wine1.3 Installed Ogla and dx9 as well. FPS = 5 after three attempts. Unfortunately I have to dual boot to a 10GB ntfs partition just for orbiter.

One thing to make sure you keep your eyes on with respect to framerates: Wine will run Windows executables even if they don't have the execute flag set, *but* you get better framerates in Orbiter if it is set. So make sure it's set, and make sure to make sure it's set whenever you overwrite the executables (such as when patching to a new version).

Also, you have to be careful in unpacking addons, because Linux filenames are case sensitive, whereas Windows interprets (for example) "modules" and "Modules" as being the same folder. This can lead to multiple versions of what would be the same folder on Windows in your Orbiter directory, which can lead to really odd bugs.

jimblah

Reaction score
Sound issues

cinder1992: Sound works but it isn't solid. Could you illuminate me with the steps you took using wine. All I want for Christmas is stable Orbiter with Olga Client, sound, and OMP. How would that sound for Gold status (fully functional) at Wine appd? Currently using wine 1.3.12 The performance with wine comes closest to xp. I had excellent results with VirtualBox 4.0 which includes the latest functionality for opengl, but I'd prefer to stick with wine. Someone with a multicore processor might prefer Virtual Box. I've uploaded some screenshots to the member gallery's unedited section to look at. I didn't want to post one to this thread until I have something to really be excited about.

P4P800E-Deluxe. 3.5Ghz from 3.2Ghz P4, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 8600 GS, Western Digital 80GB Raptor, Ubuntu 10.10

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
cinder1992: Sound works but it isn't solid. Could you illuminate me with the steps you took using wine. All I want for Christmas is stable Orbiter with Olga Client, sound, and OMP. How would that sound for Gold status (fully functional) at Wine appd? Currently using wine 1.3.12

I wouldn't have Orbiter Sound or OMP be part of a Gold rating with Wine appd, as they are third-party addons (and I've never even downloaded, let alone used, OMP yet). OGLAClient technically is too, but it is necessary to get Orbiter running at all on Linux.

jimblah

Reaction score
Legal Restrictions?

I guess a minimalist approach would be best from a testing and debugging standpoint.
My lingering sound problem was caused by the pulseaudio sound server. I uninstalled it and I'm getting all the action sounds but no mp3. The radio/mp3 mfd won't go into mp3 mode.. I'm looking into installing an mp3 codec in wine.

Artlav is the man.

Last edited:

jimblah

Reaction score
update

Hardware improvements:
1. Overclocked my 3.2Ghz P4 processor to 3.74Ghz with stock heatsink and fan.
2. Updated my Nvidia driver to the most recent driver available for linux, not the driver that ubuntu has in the repository. Installed 260.19.36 Added: Option "Coolbits" "1", to my xorg.conf and restarted the X server. Stock settings are Gpu(MHz) is 567, Stock memory (MHz) is 500. In "Clock Frequencies" on the Nvidia X server settings press autodetect and it will probe your graphics setup and recommend new settings. Press apply and they remain in effect until you reboot or reset defaults. New Settings: GPU 632Mhz, Memory 642Mhz Overall impact on Orbiter, priceless.

Follow up on hardware "improvements": Half of my screen is slightly darker than the other half. This is persistent now in native XP and the BIOS. :tiphat: Looking for the best AGP video card I can find; would prefer an Nvidia card but I'm looking at Sapphire ATI Radeon HD2600XT 512MB DDR3 DVI/TV-out AGP Video Card for $130. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A replacement processor is $30.

On the wine front pulseaudio and wine do not get along at the moment. I uninstalled Pulse but a couple of days later it "snuck" back on my system (I'm thinking about trying a different distro other than ubuntu). I learned you can get around Pulseaudio by adding "padsp" before you call "wine foo.exe", ie; jimblah@jordan-desktop:~$padsp wine orbiter_ng.exe You should then have solid sound except for mp3 support in Orbiter on wine.

There are some keyboard and mouse issues still that I'm looking into. I'm learning that the more effort you put into setting up wine the better your rewards. If you think you can just devote ten minutes to setting up wine and get good results, you're wrong. At least at this stage. I'm currently testing wine 1.2.2, 1.3.9, 1.3.10, 1.3.11, 1.3.12, and 1.3.13 If you compile from source and configure mentions OpenCL not being found, you can safely ignore it for now. It's a relatively new specification for parallel processing and such in video cards and isn't implemented in Orbiter or Oglaclient as far as I know. Why am I testing so many versions of wine? One will eventually prove to work the best for Orbiter. That's when I'll start submitting bug reports to Winehq. And when I go to #winehq for advice I'll be better prepared.

Last edited:

jimblah

Reaction score
It's not good to run Compiz with wine.

I love compiz. I took this as quite a blow when I read it.

Quoting The Wine FAQ
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ
'Using compositing managers in X11 tends to cripple OpenGL performance or break OpenGL entirely (this does not apply to the Mac OS X compositor, which cannot be disabled). We recommend that you disable them entirely before trying to use Wine. If you are using one and experiencing slow performance then please do not file bugs in Wine, as these are bugs in your window manager or your video drivers. Also, disabling the Composite extension within /etc/X11/xorg.conf will most certainly prevent any compositing from affecting Wine.'

jimblah

Reaction score
Orbiter 2010 on Wine keeps getting Better and Better.

I'm learning so much right now, but I had to take a break to post these tips.
Sound Issues: Remove PulseAudio once and for all or change distros!
It will just make your life miserable by crashing wine, Orbiter, and interfering with OrbiterSound3.5 If you try to apply patches or run scripts that compile wine and apply patches for pulseaudio support in wine, some funny things will happen. You can break sound completely. On your way to breaking your system's sound you'll notice Orbiter sound cuts out three minutes or so into the scenario breaking wine sound. To try again you have to delete ~/.pulse, pull Orbiter2010 out of your prefix(ie., ~/.wine), and then delete the prefix. Then reconfigure the prefix and replace Orbiter. Talk about a pcpitsop. You can use padsp or pasuspender to suspend pulseaudio for wine, but don't use it for winecfg or you'll get a prefix named pasuspender. Eventually you'll forget to suppress pulse and then your back in the pitstop. You can try to use q4wine or vineyard which will supress pulseaudio but if you use your package management tool like synaptic you'll likely bring in their version of wine. Plus those gui's install hard to find "default prefixes" that are hard to reconfigure if at all. All this for pulseaudio? Believe it or see for yourself. Finding removal instructions that worked took time:
I'm borrowing these instructions from here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313253
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss linux-sound-base alsamixergui
sudo apt-get install esound esound-clients esound-common libesd0-dev gnome-alsamixer
Restart your computer!
Run gstreamer-properties in terminal to set defaults to alsa
gstreamer-properties
Remove gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio to get sound in totem.
gnome-alsamixer is for changing the volume
sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer
sudo apt-get install alltray
"Usually the best solution is to use aptitude or synaptic to do these moves, but you'll run headfirst into their dependency resolution efforts, which command them to put PulseAudio back in your system when reinstalling gnome-alsamixer. So either you use apt-get or you reconfigure aptitude/synaptic dependency resolution to work the way you want." Those instructions were for karmic, they also work for maverick.
For Fedora go here for suggestions dealing with pulseaudio:
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds
Here's how they remove it:
su -c "yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio pulseaudio padevchooser pavumeter paprefs pavucontrol"
Create a file ~/.asoundrc with these contents:
# For details, see http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
# cat /proc/asound/cards to see which hardware device
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}
ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}
Logout or reboot.
I ran Fedora for a few years long long ago. I remember Fedorasolved.org If they post something there its been tested and it works.

Now my system sound is rock solid. All of my audio apps work. All of the action sounds work perfectly. Sound isn't going to crash anything. Much needed stability to start fine tuning Orbiter.

FIXME: Mp3 playback from the MFD.
Workaround: Control the sound levels of your favorite mp3 player through it's volume level and eq, Orbiter's through SoundCfg.exe, and your speakers if they have volume control. Note: All other MFD's function. It'll take a real pilot to determine their accuracy.
Having touble with Function-key Dialogue Boxes and Function keys:
FIXME: Function-key Dialogue boxes [F3,F4] have a tendency to disappear. Then subsequent key presses do nothing to bring them back. You assume it's broken.
Workaround: The dialogue boxes are sinking through the Orbiter "rendering" or window. Enable Virtual Desktop in winecfg (For me:1920x1080) and use windowed mode from the video tab on the Orbiter Launchpad at a comparable resolution or what ever you desire. The important thing is that your able to drag the orbiter window around with the title bar and find your dialogue boxes and resume your sim without losing functionality.
Increase video memory in wine to match your video card.
wine regedit.exe
and then find the HKEY_CURRENT_USER → Software → Wine → Direct3D → VideoMemorySize and set it to the value of VRAM that your card has.
Right-click on Direct3D and select New → String Value and name it VideoMemorySize. Then double click on this new created key and enter the amount of your VRAM in MBs.
Wine Eyecandy
Virtual Desktop Wallpaper
Get a wallpaper that matches your native resolution, for me 1920x1080.
Convert your picture if in jpg format to .bmp (gimp->save as wallpaper.bmp) and place it in the windows folder:
gedit ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/win.ini
Add the [Desktop] section below at the top of the file.
[Desktop]
Wallpaper=c:\windows\wallpaper.bmp
cp wallpaper.bmp ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/
Run wineboot and then test your changes by running winecfg.

Wine Theming
Download a matching msstyle theme and install from winecfg or download wine_colors_from_gtk.py at:
https://gist.github.com/gists/74192/download
Run it with:
python wine_colors_from_gtk.py
This will scrape colors from your Gtk theme and apply them to wine.
Run wineboot and then test your changes by running winecfg.

If you don't want to use the standard prefix location ~/.wine:
Place in .bashrc to open terminal in Orbiter2010 directory.
export WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix/
cd /path/to/wineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files/Orbiter2010/
For instance: Until I get another WD 74GB Raptor for RAID0, reformat due to system bloat, and to circumvent this current file system setup I've created a ten gigabyte partition (wineplatter) on the Raptor from disk space shaved off my native xp Orbiter partition.
/home is mounted to a 500 GB secondary hdd that only spins at 7200rpm. So I mount the wineplatter to ~/mnt/ and I placed:
export WINEPREFIX=/home/jimblah/mnt/
cd ~/mnt/
into my .bashrc file at the top. That way terminator and my embedded terminals in gedit and nautilus open up there automatically. When I run winecfg the prefix is created there instead of ~/.wine and I don't have to fool around with hidden files whenever I want to look at it. I can also easily create a ramdrive in memory from the terminal, mount it somewhere, and use the same techniques to manage a wine prefix there. My current prefix with Orbiter 2010 directory is ~1.2 GB with hi res earth textures. This mobo is maxed out at 4GB but it works extremely well. My point is that your not restricted to a hidden folder.

Get the latest Orbiter and Ogla here:
I will update these links.
Get the Orbiter 2010 release zip file "orbiter100830.zip" here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitervis/files/Orbiter distribution/
and the latest Orbiter 2010 patch "orbiter101016-100830diff.7z" here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitervis/files/Orbiter beta files/
Get the OGLAClient O2010P1 (OGLA 110130) external renderer here:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/oglaclient-110130-core.zip
Get "ogla_earth_scatter.zip" here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/orbitervis/files/OVP binaries/
Get "several demo vessels for it":
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/oglaclient-110130-vesseldemos.zip
Get "scattering tables (air like in screenshot above) and terrain configs":
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/oglaclient-110130-absurdgraphics.zip
Get OrbiterSound3.5:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/download/OrbiterSound35.php
Case Sensitivity Issue:
oglavesseldemos' OrbiterSDK/ is named incorrectly. Cut and paste contents into Orbitersdk/ and delete OrbiterSDK, ogla_earth_scatter creates a second Textures/ directory. Cut and paste contents of second Textures directory into Textures.
And finally, a way to run Orbiter on wine with a little extra kick:
http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70905
http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_renice.htm
Syntax: renice priority [[-p ] pid ... ] [[-g ] pgrp ... ] [[-u ] user ... ]
"Renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes"
With this command root reassigns a new scheduling priority to the pid of this terminal session, ie. it's temporary and restricted to the user's commands from this pid. The values are -20 to 19, the default is zero. At 19 the terminal's commands and processes are at the "back of the line" with respect to priority with other processes. At -20 your commands and processes are screaming for attention at the "begining of the line" with respect to priority. You can introduce system instability if you start at -20. If you want to try it start at the -5 and work your way up.
sudo renice -5 $BASHPID
wine Orbiter_ng.exe &> output.txt
All subsequent commands from this pid (terminal session) will "inherit" the same priority until the session is closed.

In closing I'd like to thank everyone posting to this thread and the Orbiter 2006 in Linux thread, and Artlav for his work on OglaClient without which this would not be possible. Each of you have inspired me to dig deep to contribute something instead of just running my mouth. I'm currently doing regression testing to bring lost functionality from 1.3.9 to 1.3.14. I'm working on a howto for using the environment variable WINEDEBUG=loaddll,+relay,+snoop to help take the guess work out of your Orbiter installs. And another one to use winedbg and the many debug channels that enable you to disect our Orbiter problems with the skill and precision of a surgeon. Artlav if you read this please dont stop working on Ogla. Без Вас я был бы потерян, потому что это не будет работать. Я говорю это со слезами. Soon I'll be able to give you all the relevant feedback you need and hopefully so will others, I'm piecing together a guide.:thumbup:

Last edited: