Orbiter 2010 license

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/terms.php

Quoting:
If you publish a library module for Orbiter that uses undocumented features of the orbiter programming interface, or links to the orbiter core in an undocumented way, you must state this in the documentation for the module, and advise users of potential incompatibility of the module with future Orbiter versions.
Mwwwuhahahahahahah!!!!
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5100

I guess I don't have to comply if I just continue to release them as '2006P1' addons instead of '2010' addons :stirpot:, but OK, I'll be nice. This new condition is not unreasonable, and I think it's in everybody's interest if I'll just do what it says.

Another change:
You will not use Orbiter to engage in or allow others to engage in any illegal activity.
Now that's a real disappointment... :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
cjp: Isn't the incompatibility about your add-on mostly in the list menu, which is now officially part of the API?

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[..], which is now officially part of the API?

Oh, I didn't have a look at that yet. Is the 'set HUD reference object' function also in the new API? That would be good news, and I'd be more than happy to release a new version that uses the new official API.

Should I keep a copy of the old version for users of 2006P1, or should I just ask them to upgrade Orbiter?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Should I keep a copy of the old version for users of 2006P1, or should I just ask them to upgrade Orbiter?

Currently both, but when the last bugs are really ironed out, I think it is better to cease support for 2006.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hmm, no illegal activity. I can't imagine illegal activities with Orbiter other than shooting at another vessel and looting its cargo. :lol::lol: But it would require a shooter & looting addon... :nono:

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
Hmm, no illegal activity. I can't imagine illegal activities with Orbiter other than shooting at another vessel and looting its cargo. :lol::lol: But it would require a shooter & looting addon... :nono:

Heh. Ever since I started simming in Orbiter I've thought about how complicated it would be just to engage another ship.

Align planes, wait 20-30 minutes. Adjust orbit for optimum sync, wait a few hours or more. Close with target and match speed, re-vector, close further, take shot.

I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to use a mass driver cannon against another vessel? :lol:

:tiphat:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Heh. Ever since I started simming in Orbiter I've thought about how complicated it would be just to engage another ship.

Align planes, wait 20-30 minutes. Adjust orbit for optimum sync, wait a few hours or more. Close with target and match speed, re-vector, close further, take shot.

I wonder how much of a challenge it would be to use a mass driver cannon against another vessel? :lol:

:tiphat:

Depends on the parameters of the engagement. It might be a bit like that in LEO, but depending, among other things, on whether you were using projectiles or lasers, and what your enemy has, you might not align planes, but rather just arrange to make one close, fast, non-aligned pass on the target. Aligning planes would reduce relative velocities (essential for docking, but not for combat), which would reduce the damage that your projectiles would do (though that would be a double edged sword, 'cause his would do more to you as well).

If he's got projectiles and you've got lasers, you'd try and match planes, so as to reduce passing velocity, as well as increase the in-range time for your lasers. If you have projectiles and he has lasers, you'd try to keep planes unmatched (or match planes for a head on pass...). If you both have the same weapons, then it would depend on who is stronger.

If your projectiles have a lot of delta V (they'd need to have some propulsion and a guidance system just to have much chance of hitting), you might not even arrange a close pass for yourself, instead just launching the projectiles and letting them make the rendezvous.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I see, this leads to an orbiter space combat sim addon... ;)

In most countries, making and/or using a space combat sim addon would not be illegal.

But imagine that the Orbiter license actually allowed using Orbiter for illegal activities (real-life illegal, not just Orbiter-universe crime). Imagine what sort of evil things we would be allowed to do with Orbiter...(????)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Imagine what sort of evil things we would be allowed to do with Orbiter...(????)

Bombing Jerusalem! Halt, wait, that is not illegal, only impolite.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Bombing Jerusalem! Halt, wait, that is not illegal, only impolite.

With Orbiter? I doubt a couple of bytes will hurt anyone.
Maybe a ballistic bombing, and using Orbiter for trajectory simulations. I can't think of any other evil usage of Orbiter.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In a nutshell, if you're thinking of making a BitTorrent MFD so you can download music illegally while Orbiting, DON'T. :rofl:

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
What about using Orbiter to learn to fly a space shuttle so you could stow away and when you launch you disable the crew and steal the shutle and then dock with a big private space station you have already secrecly built in orbit and plot the total domination of the earth from space.