Installation Orbiter 2010 on Windows 10 question

fullarmor2

Reaction score
I had an old modded Orbiter 2010 set up on my old computer with Windows 7. I have just two problems. I copied it to my new computer and windows 10 and now I can't use the D3D9. I have to launce with Orbiter.exe . It runs good though. But there is one problem. While in low Earth orbit, if I use time warp above 10 x I get a CTD ! Sometimes I get the crash just using 10x time warp. its really annoying. I can time warp in deep space however no problem. Or at high Earth orbit, no problem. For some reason the closer I get to Earth the greater the CTD problem is while using time warp. I don't want to do a clean install because I love my old modded copy. :hello:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why can't use D3D9? I have 2010 and 2016 in Windows 10 and seems good

fullarmor2

Reaction score
Then maybe I do have to do a clean install. But then I'll have to do all that modding again. :suicide:

fullarmor2

Reaction score
I just did a fresh install. I installed D3D9clientR15 . I was able to bring up the Launch Pad with orbiter.exe and launch scenerios and seems all good. But when I try orbiter_ng.exe it brings up the launch pad but scenerios do not work? A window appears were you'd expect your scenario to be. It has a black background and a bunch of text listing a bunch of modules and it says Orbiter NG (no graphics) Running in server mode (no graphics client attached) type "help" for a list of commands.

So I can't use orbiter_ng.exe launch pad to launch. I have to launch with that for D3D9 to work correct? Only Orbiter.exe launch pad works.

fullarmor2

Reaction score
Did you update your DirectX 9?

All I did is download D3D9clientR15 and then I installed it right away. I'm not sure how to update it. If you have a suggestion that'd be great. Also I just got done running Orbiter 2010 just using the .exe launch pad. I did a deorbit from the ISS to CSSC. And I didn't have any CTDs while using time warp with this fresh installation. And overall its running great on Windows 10 for me. Without using D3D9clientR15. Maybe Its not really necessary. Am I correct about that?

fullarmor2

Reaction score
Bingo! That did it! I'm just getting back into Orbiter after some time. I think that's why I needed the help. And thanks a million for helping! :thumbup: This made my day.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Good!
I also made the same mistake when I first ran Orbiter on my new Win10 rig.