Hardware Orbiter and ATI graphic cards

Andyg63

Reaction score
Hi

I have been using orbiter for several years, always on computers with Nvidia cards. I have a new PC wth an ATI 4850. This card works great in all games however in Orbiter I have a problem with the HUD. The hud lines flicker very fast on the parts of the screen where they are over the panel. IF the panel is slid down then the flicker stops.

Any one else seen this and is there a fix.

Not a serious problem just anoying.

regards

Andy

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Its probably something to do with your system, rather then just the ATI card. I've got a Radeon 9000, and graphically I havent noticed any unexpected issues. The graphics still glitch a little bit, but its always when I'm doing I shouldn't be doing (like placing the camera underground).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also use ATI cards for years, without such kind of problems. did you update the drivers lately?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
did you update the drivers lately?

What is the advantage of updating the drivers?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I have a problem with my 4850X2 if I have CrossFireX turned on the hud and 2d panel messes up but with out CrossFireX it works fine.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What is the advantage of updating the drivers?

Newer driver versions often contain fixes for bugs that were found in previous versions.

Occasionally they can also result in a nontrivial increase in speed due to various optimizations.

Asking "What is the advantage of updating the drivers" is like asking "What's the advantage of installing all the latest Windows patches."

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So how do I get the updated drivers?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So how do I get the updated drivers?

Download them from the homepage of your graphic card producer... for example ati.amd.com.

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi

I have been using orbiter for several years, always on computers with Nvidia cards. I have a new PC wth an ATI 4850. This card works great in all games however in Orbiter I have a problem with the HUD. The hud lines flicker very fast on the parts of the screen where they are over the panel. IF the panel is slid down then the flicker stops.

Any one else seen this and is there a fix.

Not a serious problem just anoying.

regards

Andy

I am in the same situation (first time I use an ATI. Mine is a 4870 with very last driver 10.3) and I have the same problem.

From what I have seen so far, this flicker depend a lot on "vertical syncho" and "frame rate". For example, with AMSO "Apollo 11 step 1" scenario, which is quite "heavy" for graphic, I can see the flicker and vary its frequency while zooming or changing view direction. State of "vertical syncho" (on/off) also affect dramatically the flicker behaviors.

I don't have the flicker in less heavy for graphic scenarios, but I bet they are present. They probably just run too fast to be seen.

I tested both Orbiter 2006 and last beta and the problem is identical on both versions.

Does anyone has found how to overcome this ?

Thanks in forward for any clues.

ACS

Last edited:

Jake

Deorbinaut
Reaction score
I had a 4850 until last fall. I never noticed any problems like that. If it's a driver problem it must be something about the newer ones. Maybe it's a conflict with another program or something? Something that tries to acces the video memory at the same time you play Orbiter?

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Im running a 5870 and I lost my fuel guage and hud when I cranked up the HD Anti-Aliasing setting. If you have Catylist Control Center loaded try changing each Graphics setting. You need to restart Orbiter each time you change a setting. Hope that helps.

btw, the heck with losing my HUD, I cranked my HD AA back up,, So much better graphics.

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Im running a 5870 and I lost my fuel guage and hud when I cranked up the HD Anti-Aliasing setting. If you have Catylist Control Center loaded try changing each Graphics setting. You need to restart Orbiter each time you change a setting. Hope that helps.

btw, the heck with losing my HUD, I cranked my HD AA back up,, So much better graphics.

Yes, playing with AA setting and even other 3D setting's, affect the behaviors of this problem, but, unfortunately, I didn't found until yet any combinations of settings which really solve it, except to avoid using full screen mode.

jambooger, can-you test the following on your system ?

Run any Orbiter scenario in full screen. Then do "Alt-Tab" to minimize Orbiter and finally, try to restore Orbiter. By me, I get a white full screen for 1 or 2 second and then, a very bad "crash to reboot" (also called blue screen error). After reboot, the error window say Code:1000008E / BCP1:C0000005. With my previous NVidia card, I didn't had that crash, but the restore wasn't 100% clean (some HUD-graphic's trashed).

ACS

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, playing with AA setting and even other 3D setting's, affect the behaviors of this problem, but, unfortunately, I didn't found until yet any combinations of settings which really solve it, except to avoid using full screen mode.

jambooger, can-you test the following on your system ?

Run any Orbiter scenario in full screen. Then do "Alt-Tab" to minimize Orbiter and finally, try to restore Orbiter. By me, I get a white full screen for 1 or 2 second and then, a very bad "crash to reboot" (also called blue screen error). After reboot, the error window say Code:1000008E / BCP1:C0000005. With my previous NVidia card, I didn't had that crash, but the restore wasn't 100% clean (some HUD-graphic's trashed).

ACS

Happy to try that for you, but I actually I have already run into that. It doesnt happen everytime. I get the white screen but so far not the BSOD. I just have to restart ORBITER. Very bothersom as sometimes Im deep into a mission and have to start over. When I restart ORBITER everything is fine.

Last edited:

ACSoft

AMSO Founder
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Happy to try that for you, but I actually I have already run into that. It doesnt happen everytime. I get the white screen but so far not the BSOD. I just have to restart ORBITER. Very bothersom as sometimes Im deep into a mission and have to start over. When I restart ORBITER everything is fine.

Interesting !

Maybe you don't get the BSOD, because of a different OS than me. Personnaly, I am still "scotched" with my good old Windows XP SP3, but I will probably go to Windows 7 this Autumn.

So, no BSOD, but instead a CTD, correct ?

ACS

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting !

Maybe you don't get the BSOD, because of a different OS than me. Personnaly, I am still "scotched" with my good old Windows XP SP3, but I will probably go to Windows 7 this Autumn.

So, no BSOD, but instead a CTD, correct ?

ACS

Yes that is correct.

Im not a big fan of Win 7 at all. The only reason I went to it is because of the allowable memory it can use.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The only reason I went to it is because of the allowable memory it can use.

What was wrong with 128 GB in Windows XP x64? Do you really have more RAM than 128 GB and need the 2 TB windows 7 provides?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes that is correct.

Im not a big fan of Win 7 at all. The only reason I went to it is because of the allowable memory it can use.
You would prefer a BSOD to a CTD when the graphics driver has a bug?

jambooger

Defender of the Stupid
Donator
Reaction score
What was wrong with 128 GB in Windows XP x64? Do you really have more RAM than 128 GB and need the 2 TB windows 7 provides?

Well to be honest I wasnt aware of that. I only had experience with xp 32 bit, which I loved. From what I hear the 64 bit was hard to find. I guess I will stick with Windows 7 64 bit as I dont see any reason to back up now.