Problem Orbiter API feature requests

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
(Please move this thread if it belongs somewhere else)

I have some feature requests for the next version of the Orbiter API. They are already mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but by this thread I'm making "official" feature requests:

First of all: popup menus
Built-in MFDs use popup menus for selecting e.g. reference planets. This functionality is not yet available through the standard API for custom MFDs. You might know I successfully hacked my way into using popup menus, but it would be better if this were a part of the official API.

Secondly: full control over the HUD
The built-in Orbit MFD has the ability to change both the HUD mode, and to set the reference of Orbit HUD to the MFD's reference. Through the current API, only changing the HUD mode is possible, but changing other things, such as the reference of Orbit HUD, are not yet possible. I have some ideas of how to reverse engineer this feature, but again, it would be better if it were in the official API.

Finally: there might be other things that are done by the built-in MFDs, planets etc., but that are not possible through the API. Hereby, I also request all these things to be added to the API. One way to make sure this is done, is by implementing all the built-in stuff as separate DLLs, using only the standard Orbiter API.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I want functions to use the navigation beacons - especially the ILS would be nice.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd like -

-Dynamic texturing for planets.
- An object class, so we spawn meshes without making them into a vessel/planet.
-an InsertMesh API for planets.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I want functions to use the navigation beacons - especially the ILS would be nice.
ILS functionality is already added, I believe; see Martin's posts in this thread:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=4668

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Secondly: full control over the HUD
The built-in Orbit MFD has the ability to change both the HUD mode, and to set the reference of Orbit HUD to the MFD's reference. Through the current API, only changing the HUD mode is possible, but changing other things, such as the reference of Orbit HUD, are not yet possible. I have some ideas of how to reverse engineer this feature, but again, it would be better if it were in the official API.
Requested this as a feature here just yesterday: http://orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=53

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just curious, but what would this accomplish that can't be accomplished by the vessel or planet classes?

So that we could make addons that randomly generate objects. Generating small asteroids in the asteroid belt, or trees on earth. It's harder making lots of vessels to accomplish this, because you end up with hundreds of vessels in one scenario, which begins to slow everything down, and begins to render some features useless (like IMFD).

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So that we could make addons that randomly generate objects. Generating small asteroids in the asteroid belt, or trees on earth. It's harder making lots of vessels to accomplish this, because you end up with hundreds of vessels in one scenario, which begins to slow everything down, and begins to render some features useless (like IMFD).

Agreed.